News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Names of Roads or Crossings that don’t touch their namesakes

Started by roadman65, October 24, 2022, 10:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that between NJ and PA, the US 206 toll bridge across the Delaware River, is named the Milford- Montague Bridge.  However only the latter part of the name is true as the PA side enters Dingmans Township not Milford.  The PA namesake is about 0.5 miles north of the crossing.

Though I'm not complaining, just pointing out a fun fact here.  Any other roads or bridges that do not connect directly to their namesake?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dvferyance

The Elgin O Hare Expressway never reached either one. Now as a tollway it will reach O Hare but still not Elgin.

NWI_Irish96

Elkhart, Indiana, has several:

Mishawaka Rd ends in Osceola and does not extend to Mishawaka
Goshen Ave ends in Dunlap and does not extend to Goshen
Cassopolis St ends a few miles short of Cassopolis
Middlebury St ends well short of Middlebury

There are a few that do however. Bristol St, Nappanee St and Edwardsburg Rd do extend to those towns, and despite the very long distance, Toledo Rd does get all the way to Toledo.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

To clarify, are we referring only to when a road or crossing is named for a place and does not touch that place, or are we also talking about situations where a road is named for another road (e.g., say you have Evergreen Lane and Old Evergreen Lane) and the two of them do not touch?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Bay Road in Hadley and Amherst, MA is a remnant of an old road that did take you all the way to Boston.  Ties into MA 9 now, but I don't believe MA 9 follows Bay Road's original alignment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

There are way too many residential streets in Massachusetts that are names of other municipalities, a decent number of them dead ends. The ones that are long enough are typically accurate or at least in the general direction (e.g. MA 129 in Reading is Lowell St., which is the first step in the pre-freeway route to get to Lowell, but you'll have to turn from 129 to 38 or 3A or you'll end up in Chelmsford instead), but the streets that are less than 1/4 mile obviously don't lead to a city or town 20 miles away.

I can excuse the streets on the coast of Seabrook NH just north of the MA border; that's theme naming and clearly not intended to go to the municipalities in question.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

I should restate my intentions.  No themed named city named roads.  Keep it names with primarily two named roads that imply transit between the two.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Am I the only one who thinks this is incredibly commonplace? There are literally hundreds of streets named for states which never go to that state, starting with all those in DC. Also plenty of roads are named for places where the road eventually leads but never gets there; e.g., Chicago has a Milwaukee Avenue and Green Bay Road as those roads once eventually got there. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find a town of 50K that doesn't have one of these types of roads or bridges. This doesn't even get to those streets in themed subdivisions with streets like Paris Way.

Edit: Posted this one minute after OP's latest post. Now I don't understand the OP at all.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on October 24, 2022, 11:49:44 AM
There are way too many residential streets in Massachusetts that are names of other municipalities, a decent number of them dead ends. The ones that are long enough are typically accurate or at least in the general direction (e.g. MA 129 in Reading is Lowell St., which is the first step in the pre-freeway route to get to Lowell, but you'll have to turn from 129 to 38 or 3A or you'll end up in Chelmsford instead), but the streets that are less than 1/4 mile obviously don't lead to a city or town 20 miles away.

I can excuse the streets on the coast of Seabrook NH just north of the MA border; that's theme naming and clearly not intended to go to the municipalities in question.
The town-named roads tend to be accurate in western MA.  Pelham Rd in Amherst leading to Pelham then switch to Amherst Rd in Pelham.  That sort of thing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on October 24, 2022, 11:59:59 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is incredibly commonplace? There are literally hundreds of streets named for states which never go to that state, starting with all those in DC. Also plenty of roads are named for places where the road eventually leads but never gets there; e.g., Chicago has a Milwaukee Avenue and Green Bay Road as those roads once eventually got there. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find a town of 50K that doesn't have one of these types of roads or bridges. This doesn't even get to those streets in themed subdivisions with streets like Paris Way.
Somebody missed the memo.

Hobart

There are two examples in Chicago's west and southwest suburbs that immediately come to mind (and annoy me a lot).

First is Joliet Road. There's a stub between I-55 and IL-53. Although both roads it ends at actually end up going near or through Joliet, Joliet Road in its present form itself ends about six miles north of Joliet, at its closest. It picks up again at I-55 and I-294, runs through Indian Head Park and Countryside, and ends at East Avenue, where it was closed over a quarry. It then starts again in McCook as a northeast jog of 55th street, has US-66 split off, runs north to Ogden Avenue as Joliet Avenue, and then stops. Depending on how you interpret it, Joliet Road runs in three, or even four, distinct sections, none of which actually get you to Joliet.

Second is Plainfield Road. It runs from Lemont Road in Woodridge, northeast to the same East Avenue as Joliet Road, on the east side of La Grange. It then starts again in the south side of Brookfield, and runs to Ogden in Lyons. If you extended it southwest by 12 miles, it would probably hit Plainfield, but it doesn't come anywhere close in its current form.

My issue with both of these is that they not only fail to reach their intended destinations; they keep stopping and starting again, making them a less viable route to their originally intended locations.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: skluth on October 24, 2022, 11:59:59 AM

Edit: Posted this one minute after OP's latest post. Now I don't understand the OP at all.

So my interpretation of the OP was roads or bridges that are named for places that they go towards and/or near, but don't actually reach.

The streets in DC were clearly not named as if they led to those places (well except perhaps for Maryland and Virginia).

Henry

Quote from: Hobart on October 24, 2022, 12:26:39 PM
There are two examples in Chicago's west and southwest suburbs that immediately come to mind (and annoy me a lot).

First is Joliet Road. There's a stub between I-55 and IL-53. Although both roads it ends at actually end up going near or through Joliet, Joliet Road in its present form itself ends about six miles north of Joliet, at its closest. It picks up again at I-55 and I-294, runs through Indian Head Park and Countryside, and ends at East Avenue, where it was closed over a quarry. It then starts again in McCook as a northeast jog of 55th street, has US-66 split off, runs north to Ogden Avenue as Joliet Avenue, and then stops. Depending on how you interpret it, Joliet Road runs in three, or even four, distinct sections, none of which actually get you to Joliet.

Second is Plainfield Road. It runs from Lemont Road in Woodridge, northeast to the same East Avenue as Joliet Road, on the east side of La Grange. It then starts again in the south side of Brookfield, and runs to Ogden in Lyons. If you extended it southwest by 12 miles, it would probably hit Plainfield, but it doesn't come anywhere close in its current form.

My issue with both of these is that they not only fail to reach their intended destinations; they keep stopping and starting again, making them a less viable route to their originally intended locations.
It also happens with the IN side of the metro: US 41 in Gary is called Indianapolis Blvd, even though that route number goes nowhere near the state capital. In fact, you'll need to transfer to US 52 just outside Lafayette to complete the trip.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on October 24, 2022, 01:13:08 PM

It also happens with the IN side of the metro: US 41 in Gary is called Indianapolis Blvd, even though that route number goes nowhere near the state capital. In fact, you'll need to transfer to US 52 just outside Lafayette to complete the trip.

It did though. Before the US 41/52 interchange got built, the 41->52 movement was the thru movement and you had to turn to stay on 41, so you could actually go straight through to Indy from Chicago even though the route number changed.

hbelkins

Kentucky's AA Highway infamously reaches neither of its namesake cities, Alexandria or Ashland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

The Baltimore-Harrisburg Expressway doesn't enter Baltimore city limits, because I-83 becomes the Jones Falls Expressway by that time.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Bruce

Beverly Park Road in Everett, WA no longer reaches its namesake neighborhood; it was split into Holly Drive decades ago.

Bel-Red Road no longer reaches the downtowns of Bellevue and Redmond, but do serve their outskirts.

Issaquah-Fall City Road stops a few miles short of the latter.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

The part of US 42 in Butler County, OH is called "Cincinnati-Columbus Rd". The road name reaches neither city, and US 42 bypasses Columbus to the west.

roadman65

Joliet Road was one continuous road before I-55. It was historical US Route 66.

Not to mention that quarry that closed part of it in Hodgkin that severed it once more.

Sheryl Crowe

therocket

The San Diego Freeway (I-405) ends far short of San Diego

fillup420

Fayetteville Rd in Durham NC comes nowhere close....

That being said, NC is usually pretty consistent in major road names being named for their destinations.

NC 51 goes from Pineville to Mint Hill via Matthews. At certain points, it takes the name of "Pineville-Matthews Rd" then "Matthews-Mint Hill Rd".

The hyphenated town name roads are pretty common around the NC piedmont

ilpt4u

The Elgin-O'Hare ExpresswayTollway historically went neither to Elgin nor ORD Airport but did exist between the two locations. Since ISTHA has taken it over, it received the numbered designation IL 390 and has been extended to the western edge of the airport (with access to a potential future western terminal planned for), but it still ends at US 20/Lake St in Hanover Park, a few miles short of Elgin

Yeah, the EOE was really my first thought when I saw this thread

DandyDan

When I lived in DeKalb, IL, one that always amused me was how DeKalb County had Chicago Road. You continue east and it ultimately ends in Aurora. Kane County calls it Galena Road and it doesn't come close to Galena going westbound, either.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

Here on Long Island:
  • The Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NY 135) doesn't go to Oyster Bay.
  • The Babylon-Northport Expressway (NY 231) doesn't go to Northport.
  • Port Jefferson-Westhampton Road (Suffolk CR 111) doesn't go to either Port Jefferson or Westhampton.
    All were proposed to extend further and have unbuilt sections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.