News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The word "New"

Started by stormwatch7721, April 09, 2011, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

How come I keep on seeing the word "new" on topic replies?

Zmapper

"New" just means that the system thinks that you haven't read them yet. If read the replies while logged out and then log in to say comment on them then even though you already read them you haven't read them while logged in.

J N Winkler

No, this problem (failure to set "read" flag when posts are read) also occurs when you are logged in.  I think what is going on is that the database gets read flags updated only at intervals instead of in real time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cu2010

I've also had the forum not set the "New" tags when there's an unread reply...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

stormwatch7721

How are the "read" flags set?

Alps

I never have these problems. What happens though is that if you mark an entire region read or the entire forum read, then when you open each thread it sets every topic to New. I guess the system just erases all record of what you've visited.

stormwatch7721

After I click on a topic, the word "new" gets removed.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This post will make the board software reset this thread as to have a "new" reply/post.
What's so hard to understand that "new" means there are more (new) replies in a thread after you last visited it.  :confused:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

stormwatch7721

Well, I don't know what else to say. Thanks for the Info thiugh, posters.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.