Coronado Trail - my recent visit

Started by kwellada, March 16, 2018, 02:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwellada

Just over a week ago, I took the Coronado Trail in Arizona for the 3rd time (previous drives were in 2005 & 2015).  I had been visiting some of the national parks in Utah and decided I'd just continue on down US 191 for yet another go at traveling on this curvy backroad through eastern Arizona.  Since my original pair of visits, I've gotten some decent camera equipment so I documented a bit more of the highway than previous trips.

https://www.robotimpurity.com/Color/Transportation/The-Coronado-Trail is the gallery containing shots from last week as well as a handful from the previous trips.

I'm pleased to hear that the discussion of shutting down US 191 has subsided in Arizona, as this is still one of my absolute most favorite drives in the western US.

Max Rockatansky

Nice, I've been looking forward to some new photos with updated equipment myself but haven't had the time to make it out that way to do it.

kwellada

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2018, 09:39:36 PM
Nice, I've been looking forward to some new photos with updated equipment myself but haven't had the time to make it out that way to do it.

It's been kind of a circular logic for me regarding road trips and photo equipment.  If I upgrade a lens or camera body, then I want to go take a bunch of photos with it to improve upon older photos and explore new territories.  And if I go on a roadtrip, I need better camera gear!

It's probably a good thing I never had children so I could indulge myself in this way!  :-D

(but to be honest, I finally am very happy with my gear so mostly it's just a matter of finding spare time for a road trip these days)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kwellada on March 18, 2018, 01:37:38 PM

It's been kind of a circular logic for me regarding road trips and photo equipment.  If I upgrade a lens or camera body, then I want to go take a bunch of photos with it to improve upon older photos and explore new territories.  And if I go on a roadtrip, I need better camera gear!

It's probably a good thing I never had children so I could indulge myself in this way!  :-D

(but to be honest, I finally am very happy with my gear so mostly it's just a matter of finding spare time for a road trip these days)

Nowadays the digital camera technology has improved so much that I've essentially been trying to re-photograph anything I found interesting from the early era when I started taking road photos.  The Coronado Trail album I did on the Mountain West Board was among one of the earliest, I'd love to get back out there and take stuff in the style I do on Gribblenation/Surewhynotnow.  I redid most of Utah the last two years but I haven't dove into Arizona like I wanted since I don't live there anymore and family has left for Idaho. 

But I'll you, getting close to 40 with no kids I'm glad I waited.  I've seen so much great stuff out there on the road and in general that I never could have if I had kids in tow.  I have a sibling that essentially never leaves the state she lives in, to me that's something that is unfathomable.  The conversation always comes back to she can't do anything because of kids.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: kwellada on March 18, 2018, 01:37:38 PM

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome."  The struggle is real.

I enjoyed the photos though too by the way.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kwellada

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 18, 2018, 03:46:51 PM
Nowadays the digital camera technology has improved so much that I've essentially been trying to re-photograph anything I found interesting from the early era when I started taking road photos.

Same!  I've gone from a Canon 20D (which was a great workhorse of a camera and lasted me till 2014) to the 6D Mark II and the difference is night and day.  Plus I'm a bit better at photography in general since I've put in a lot of practice and time.  But yeah, looking at photos from years ago often just inspires me to head back and see how things have changed, especially with abandoned buildings since those changes over time can be quite fascinating

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.