News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Easy national-level highways to clinch

Started by epzik8, August 31, 2016, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

What do you guys think are some easy Interstates, U.S. Routes, and other national-level highway elsewhere in the world to clinch? I think undoubtedly the easiest mainline Interstate to clinch is I-97. It's less than 18 miles and is shorter than a lot of 3DIs. An easy U.S. Route clinch near me is U.S. Route 222 which is only 93 miles. So now I want to hear from my fellow roadfans. Again, I'm not limiting this to the USA.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

corco

Among U.S. Routes - 266 is probably the easiest, since if you're driving I-40 it's an easy on-the-way detour to clinch. Besides that - 189 is a pretty well trafficked end-to-end corridor - if you're heading from SoCal to Yellowstone, that's a viable route. 163 has tourist appeal. 730 and 195 can both be clinched fairly easily under the right circumstances.

197 and 310 are short but a bit out of most people's normal travel patterns.

16 is an easy 2dus clinch, as is the current form of 91.

As far as interstates go,  I-82 is a very easy  clinch. The western I-86 is much shorter but usually out of people's way.

formulanone

Right now, I-2 is one of the shortest mainlines, but it's rather out-of-the-way.

I-12 acts as more of a bypass of New Orleans to/from Baton Rouge. Rather dull, but an easy one.

I-16, if you want to connect I-75 in Macon to I-95 in Savannah; if you were driving to/from Florida's east coast.

I-4 is easy if you choose midday to do it; its US Route counterpart (US 92)...a lot more frustrating as it's mostly stoplight hell for 180 miles.

TheStranger

US 199 as a scenic way to do San Francisco to Portland/Seattle (as opposed to 80-505-5 from SF to Grants Pass)

US 46 as an alternate to I-80 in New Jersey; US 138 as an alternate for the western I-76 in Colorado

Would US 6N be considered "national level" in this realm?  If so, that one is particularly short.

US 730 as a side trip from an I-82 clinching

US 201 for someone heading to Quebec City from Boston/New England

Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

US 163 is one of the easier ones and you get Monument Valley out of the deal to boot. I wouldn't call US 199 "easy" given how balls to the wall the drive is but it is short at 80 miles.

wphiii

I-68 is relatively easy to clinch as far as 2DIs go.

Charles2

I-22 is roughly 210 miles between Birmingham and Memphis.

coatimundi

I think that, if you live in Arizona for any amount of time, it's just silly to not have bothered clinching both I-17 and I-19. Granted that there's very little reason a healthy person should go to Nogales anymore, but it's just 100km from Downtown Tucson, and you get to see all that crazy metric signing.
And there's no reason not to go to Flagstaff, even if you're just visiting, and even when it's cold.

I-12 is also a pretty easy clinch, but it's out of the way of most.

sparker

Quote from: coatimundi on September 01, 2016, 02:04:48 AM
I-12 is also a pretty easy clinch, but it's out of the way of most.
And miss the food in NOLA?  Not a chance in hell!  If I ever went on a clinching binge, I-12 would likely be one of the last to get done!

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

SSOWorld

Wisconsin has a few:
US 8 (With a hint of Michigan and Minnesota), I-41, I-43.

Speaking of Michigan - I-96

I-88 in Illinois, but that might break your budget for you uptight financial folk.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: 1 on September 01, 2016, 05:43:36 AM
What about Autoroute 35 in Quebec?

Being extended south to the border. If you clinch it now, the clinch won't last for long. But even after the extension, it will be pretty short, at only 55 km. But A-5 north of Ottawa is even shorter.

If you happen to be in Honolulu and have a rental car, you can clinch four Interstates (H-1, H-2, H-3, H-201) in a few hours.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

Lots of easy ones in this side of the pond, albeit some are still under construction. For example I'll be reclaiming yet again a full clinch of (Spanish) A-21 next Saturday, which I had already done last year... for less than a month.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DandyDan

If you are going between Kansas City and Omaha and don't feel like taking I-29, US 73 can be done in a couple hours.  If you are bored in KC and looking to take a long drive, US 159 can be done, although I don't have any idea what circumstance would compel you to drive it end to end in one sitting other than just taking a long drive.  Another one near me that could be done in one day is US 275.  In western Nebraska and NE Colorado, US 138 could be done in a couple hours, I suspect.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jbnati27

US 276 in NC/SC is a nice drive and is a fairly easy clinch.

US 311 in NC wouldn't be too bad.

I-19 in AZ would be pretty easy if you're in the Tucson area,

I-17 in AZ looks like it would be fairly easy and very worthwhile.

Rothman

Seems to me proximity to my house would be a factor.

I-87. :P
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

US 130 in NJ looks pretty simple outside rush hour.  Eastern I-88 can be done in a couple of hours for those heading east from OH and PA to central and northern New England who want to shunpike the Thruway.  US 4 for those going to Portsmouth, Kittery, or OOB from the Capital District looks simple enough.  US 9W looks doable in a couple of hours.  And US 1A in CT looks doable in a couple of minutes (US 1A in RI/MA may take a half hour in traffic).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Dangit.  I-88 would be easier than I-87.  Silly me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JCinSummerfield

In SE Michigan, the easiest would be US-223.

hbelkins

Most of the ones I'd suggest have already been noted -- I-12, I-68, I-88 New York.

I'd add I-66 and I-99. Also possibilities are I-24 and I-79.

As far as US routes go, US 641 wouldn't be all that difficult. I know from experience that US 211 isn't either.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: corco on August 31, 2016, 06:59:12 PM
As far as interstates go,  I-82 is a very easy  clinch. The western I-86 is much shorter but usually out of people's way.
Clinched them both multiple times.  The west I-86 is pretty much on the most direct route from Northern California to Yellowstone (using US 93 from I-80 to I-84), so I'll bet it gets "clinched" more times than one would instinctively think!

Charles2

US-331 from Montgomery to the Gulf Coast is about 155 miles...and is the speed trap from hell.

mariethefoxy

I-295, I-495, I-695, I-895, I-278, I-478, I-678 in NY. Same with I-280 and I-287, If you live in the NYC Metro area you got a lot of interstates you can get to in a relatively small area.

Avalanchez71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.