News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 20 Improvements in Iowa

Started by I-39, July 06, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

So it looks like the remaining portion of US 20 between Moville and Early that is not a four lane expressway will be finished within the next 5-6 years, making US 20 a 4 lane highway across Iowa, (with the exception of the Dubuque bridge). With that being said, I have a few questions about the remaining segments under construction/planning (the first two kind of tie-in together)

1. Why isn't Correctionville being bypassed and an interchange being installed with the junction of IA 31?

2. Why isn't an interchange being installed at US 59 in Holstein when they grade separated most major junctions east of there? Is it a cost-cutting issue?

3. What is the status of the Julien Dubuque bridge widening?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 07:06:51 PM
1. Why isn't Correctionville being bypassed and an interchange being installed with the junction of IA 31?

2. Why isn't an interchange being installed at US 59 in Holstein when they grade separated most major junctions east of there? Is it a cost-cutting issue?

3. What is the status of the Julien Dubuque bridge widening?

1. It kind of already is bypassed and I don't think a huge amount of traffic uses IA 31 but a interchange would be good so that the road officially bypasses Correctionville.

2. I have the same question.

3. A quick google search determines that this is still a proposal.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

pianocello

As it stands right now, there are no stoplights or stop signs on the current 2-lane section in NW Iowa (I'm pretty sure), and it doesn't plow through any towns. The way I see it, building another carriageway in the same location would be a lot easier and cost-effective than building a whole new alignment. Besides, none of the N-S routes really serve many population centers, so I highly doubt IA 31 and US 59 see enough traffic to justify an interchange.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

iowahighways

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

In both cases, yes, it's cost-cutting for the most part. Correctionville is pretty much bypassed as it is, but it will be five lanes through town and IA 31 will be rerouted to follow US 20. And the US 20/59 multiplex near Holstein has been four lanes since the 1960s so they're just adding onto that.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

I-39

Quote from: pianocello on July 06, 2015, 10:32:55 PM
As it stands right now, there are no stoplights or stop signs on the current 2-lane section in NW Iowa (I'm pretty sure), and it doesn't plow through any towns. The way I see it, building another carriageway in the same location would be a lot easier and cost-effective than building a whole new alignment. Besides, none of the N-S routes really serve many population centers, so I highly doubt IA 31 and US 59 see enough traffic to justify an interchange.

Problem with that is this, there is new development (commercial businesses, such as a truck stop) sprouting up in Holstein near one of the US 59 intersections. That is going to increase traffic and cause safety hazards. It would have been a good idea to realign US 59 and get rid of the multiplex and install an interchange at the current US 59 northbound intersection.

As for Correctionville, there are points east of early that have interchanges that I'd argue don't really need them, so installing an interchange at IA-31 would be more beneficial. Like Holstein, it would help with future development. Having it run through town with a five lane section is going to create hazards if future development sprouts up. They'll have to lower the speed limit running through town too.

I have a feeling they'll eventually have to go back (at a future date) and install interchanges in both towns.

andy3175

This article projects a completion of four-lane US 20 in Iowa in 2018:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/19/warm-temps-gas-tax-hike-boost-iowa-dot-roadwork/77351558/

QuoteHighway 20 project to be done in 2018

LONG-AWAITED PROJECT: The Iowa Department of Transportation plans to finish the cross-state expansion of U.S. Highway 20 from two lanes to a four-lane expressway in the fall of 2018. The final stretch, covering 40 miles in northwest Iowa, will cost an estimated $286 million. Once completed, the expressway will run between Sioux City and Dubuque, improving traffic safety and providing an alternative four-lane, east-west corridor for large trucks that now operate on Interstate Highway 80 in Iowa and Interstate Highway 90 in southern Minnesota.

BRANSTAD CAN CUT RIBBON: Gov. Terry Branstad has been an advocate for the Highway 20 expressway since he first became the state's chief executive in the 1980s, although the project had been discussed long before he arrived in the governor's office. The approval of a 10 cent gasoline tax increase earlier this year helped to assure that Branstad can cut a ribbon on the project before he finishes what may be his final four-year term.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Jardine

OK, let's wrap up the highway 20 upgrade kids, and then let's hunker down and do highway 30, Missouri to Mississippi, 4 lane all the way too, and let's not linger 30 years doing it, 10 otta be enough.

:-D

I-39

Just realized the section through Lawton is technically only three lanes (one travel lane in each direction plus a center turn lane), any plans to fix that?

The Ghostbuster

The sooner they complete 4-laning US 20 in Iowa, the better. Then maybe (and this is a colossal maybe), they could eventually do the same for US 20 between Dubuque and Rockford, Illinois.

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 16, 2016, 03:16:03 PM
The sooner they complete 4-laning US 20 in Iowa, the better. Then maybe (and this is a colossal maybe), they could eventually do the same for US 20 between Dubuque and Rockford, Illinois.

Like that'll happen any time soon.  IDOT's got no money (see thread in Great Lakes section).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on June 16, 2016, 04:22:43 PM

Like that'll happen any time soon.  IDOT's got no money (see thread in Great Lakes section).

At least there are studies going on for Freeport-Galena and the bypass around Galena.  The Galena Bypass study has been going on for quite some time... http://idot.illinois.gov/projects/us-20-galena-bypass
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

mgk920

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 20, 2016, 11:41:47 PM

At least there are studies going on for Freeport-Galena and the bypass around Galena.  The Galena Bypass study has been going on for quite some time... http://idot.illinois.gov/projects/us-20-galena-bypass

I remember reading of some discussion in the late 1980s or early 1990s where IDOT was looking at a tunnel for part of US 20 in the Galena-Elizabeth area.  Is that still being studied?

Mike

I-39

Quote from: mgk920 on June 20, 2016, 11:56:34 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 20, 2016, 11:41:47 PM

I remember reading of some discussion in the late 1980s or early 1990s where IDOT was looking at a tunnel for part of US 20 in the Galena-Elizabeth area.  Is that still being studied?

Mike

No, the Tunnel idea has long since been abandoned.

The Galena Bypass has no funding to move forward due to the ongoing Illinois budget crisis. IDOT keeps insisting on building a full interstate-style freeway on US 20 between Freeport and Galena, despite their not really being a traffic need for such a thing. As such, the price tag keeps going up by the year. It needs to be scaled back to a lesser at grade divided expressway, but allow for interchanges at major junctions.

But this is a discussion for the Great Lakes board.....

The Ghostbuster

Why would they need to have a tunnel on that portion of US 20? I could understand proposing one in the Chicago area, but the Galena-Elizabeth area?

Jardine

Tunnels are cool.

And with the abandonment of the Winston Tunnel, that part of the state doesn't have any showy tunnels.

:bigass:

Revive 755

Quote from: mgk920 on June 20, 2016, 11:56:34 PM

Mike

I believe it was eliminated in the final rounds of the EIS for US 20.

AnchorGuy319

Interesting topic!  I live 16 miles north of Manchester, IA where it is halfway between Waterloo and Dubuque on US 20.  I wonder once the new 4 lanes highway complete throughout the state of Iowa, will it realign the mileage system like changing mileage markers on US 20 Highway.  I notice there is exit number 187 (Wellsburg) and exit number 208 (Parkersburg & Grundy Center where Iowa State Highway 14 is) and the length is only 8 miles.  The difference existing exit number between two interchanges is 21 miles because of they haven't realign the mileage markers.  Now I heard there is new 4 lanes highway runs between Fort Dodge to Early.  I assume they will wait all of 4 lanes highway once complete, they will realign the mileage markers.  About Dubuque, anyone hear yet of new proposed US 20 that will run south of Dubuque into Illinois?

I-39

Quote from: AnchorGuy319 on August 28, 2016, 06:55:04 PM
About Dubuque, anyone hear yet of new proposed US 20 that will run south of Dubuque into Illinois?

I don't believe there is a plan to run US 20 south of Dubuque into Illinois, rather, the existing bridge will be widened. If there is, I'd like to see it, because I haven't heard anything anywhere regarding that.

The Ghostbuster

I think there once was a proposal to have US 20 bypass Dubuque to the south, but that proposal never went anywhere. Maybe they should bring it back.

WhitePoleRD

Quote from: AnchorGuy319 on August 28, 2016, 06:55:04 PM
Interesting topic!  I live 16 miles north of Manchester, IA where it is halfway between Waterloo and Dubuque on US 20.  I wonder once the new 4 lanes highway complete throughout the state of Iowa, will it realign the mileage system like changing mileage markers on US 20 Highway.  I notice there is exit number 187 (Wellsburg) and exit number 208 (Parkersburg & Grundy Center where Iowa State Highway 14 is) and the length is only 8 miles.  The difference existing exit number between two interchanges is 21 miles because of they haven't realign the mileage markers.  Now I heard there is new 4 lanes highway runs between Fort Dodge to Early.  I assume they will wait all of 4 lanes highway once complete, they will realign the mileage markers.  About Dubuque, anyone hear yet of new proposed US 20 that will run south of Dubuque into Illinois?

I went to UNI and noticed the mileage difference once in school. I don't know how much new traffic uses 20 on a regular basis to bend the ear of the IaDOT.

In regards to Dubuque, I think it would be smart for them to get thru traffic out of Dubuque proper but because of terrain it makes things interesting (as you know). Someone on here suggested putting an overpass essentially above East Dubuque from the JD Bridge and adding another span to make it four lanes. I'm not sure how feasible that is though- Sounds like Branstad is much more interested in finishing the four-laning (which IMHO is not a huge priority, Sioux City to Fort Dodge is barren in terms of truck traffic) than he is on upgrading Dubuque (which, again IMO, is more of a priority).
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

The Ghostbuster

What about andy3175 12/26/15 post about US 20 being completely 4-lanes across the state by the fall of 2018? Is the state still on track to complete the 4-laning by then, or was that article's estimated completion date overly optimistic?

iowahighways

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 29, 2016, 07:25:11 PM
What about andy3175 12/26/15 post about US 20 being completely 4-lanes across the state by the fall of 2018? Is the state still on track to complete the 4-laning by then, or was that article's estimated completion date overly optimistic?

That's the plan. http://www.iowadot.gov/us20/
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Revive 755

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on November 29, 2016, 03:06:57 PM
In regards to Dubuque, I think it would be smart for them to get thru traffic out of Dubuque proper but because of terrain it makes things interesting (as you know).

There is a partial plan to get some through traffic and apparently US 52 out of Dubuque.  See here or  here for a map.[/quote]

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on November 29, 2016, 03:06:57 PMSomeone on here suggested putting an overpass essentially above East Dubuque from the JD Bridge and adding another span to make it four lanes. I'm not sure how feasible that is though- Sounds like Branstad is much more interested in finishing the four-laning (which IMHO is not a huge priority, Sioux City to Fort Dodge is barren in terms of truck traffic) than he is on upgrading Dubuque (which, again IMO, is more of a priority).

I don't think doing much about the river crossing will be done until Illinois gets serious about upgrading US 20, the existing US 20 river crossing needs to be replaced, or there is a high publicized wreck near the west end or on the existing bridge.

I-39

I don't think they plan to replace the existing Julien Dubuque Bridge, they simply plan to build a parallel bridge and rehab the existing one to bring it up to four lanes.

I-39

I've changed the name of this thread to reflect the broader talk about US 20 improvements in general, not just completing the remaining four lane segments.

Why isn't Iowa doing a freeway conversion between Delaware and Peosta? It seems it would not be terribly difficult to do. Since the road between Peosta and Old Hwy Rd in Dubuque will have all the at-grade intersections removed soon (thanks to the Swiss Valley and SW Arterial interchange projects, as well as the eventual second Peosta interchange), it would make sense to complete the freeway conversion between those cities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.