News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roundabouts with railroad crossings in them

Started by index, January 17, 2020, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

The TRAX light rail goes through the middle of this roundabout on the University of Utah campus in Salt Lake City.

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Some one

Phoenix has Main @ Horne, which was recently completed as part of their Valley Metro Rail extension. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4150217,-111.8144088,156m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e2?authuser=1

Brian556

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Joe The Dragon

mapman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 15, 2020, 12:19:07 PM
Here is one in Santa Clarita, CA: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9631739,-122.0243091,3a,75y,133.3h,86.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjp-0Ka6swKexRQX3z8xmUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You mean Santa Cruz, CA -- that's the Pacific Avenue/Beach Street intersection in the city where I grew up. 

I find it strange that the Santa Cruz roundabout has crossing gates, but the Healdsburg, CA roundabout does not.  I wonder how Healdsburg got the OK from the CA Public Utilities Commission to NOT add the gates?

jakeroot

Quote from: mapman on May 16, 2020, 02:42:51 AM
I find it strange that the Santa Cruz roundabout has crossing gates, but the Healdsburg, CA roundabout does not.  I wonder how Healdsburg got the OK from the CA Public Utilities Commission to NOT add the gates?

I'm not sure the railway through the Healdsburg roundabout is active. See this street view image as possible evidence.

If it becomes activate, I'm sure signs and/or crossing gates will be installed. Note that, right now, barring the stop line and the railway itself, there is zero indication of there being a railway.

deathtopumpkins

The railroad through Healdsburg is the old Northwestern Pacific. The crossing in question is on a portion of the line currently owned by SMART and planned as a future extension of that commuter rail line, which currently extends as far north as Sonoma County Airport, with an extension to Windsor projected to open in 2022, followed by an extension to Healdsburg in the future. The line is currently active as far north as Windsor for freight service provided by the North Coast Rail Authority (under the resurrected NWP name).

The track through this crossing was rebuilt as part of the roundabout construction project in anticipation of future SMART service. Foundations were poured and conduit was laid for the installation of crossing gates, as can be seen in streetview (https://goo.gl/maps/3BjR4sucShDsTsjYA), they just were not installed yet.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

jakeroot

^^^
Thanks for the info. I like how they even etched "RR" into the foundations for the crossing gates.

This makes me wonder how common it is for "future" crossings to receive gates immediately, or if they're generally installed later as needed (such as the case in Healdsburg).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.