News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadgeek "shower thoughts"

Started by thspfc, June 19, 2020, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

A "shower thought" is a random but interesting/bizarre thing that pops into your head (often when you're in the shower, thus the term). What are some shower thoughts about roads you've had?
Yesterday, I realized that the northern terminus of I-39 at WI-29 in Marathon County WI is a rare instance in which the traffic volume significantly increases following the end of the Interstate.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Pennsylvanians can also call politics in Harrisburg "Inside the Beltway."
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Roadgeekteen

Also I-39, it really is two different routes. (Normal-Rockford and Portage north)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hwy 61 Revisited

Harrisburg is the smallest city in the United States with a completely-limited-access beltway.
--David Byrne

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 19, 2020, 07:09:13 PM

Also true of St. Paul and Indianapolis, but I've never heard that reference used for the former anyway.

Is 94/694 the only instance of a parent hitching a ride on a beltway?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 19, 2020, 08:55:21 PM

Also true of St. Paul and Indianapolis, but I've never heard that reference used for the former anyway.

No. I-85-285.
--David Byrne

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 19, 2020, 09:27:31 PM

No. I-85-285.

Also I-95-495.

As for my "shower thought", mine would be that in Washington & Baltimore, I-495 & I-695 (respectively) are the only things tying the whole interstate network together (since none of the 2-digit interstates connect to each other directly, and I-270 & I-795 both come in from the northwest and end at their respective beltways).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TheHighwayMan3561

I probably should have remembered 95/495, but I thought 85/285 ran on separate carriageways.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bassoon1986

I think 20-820 did for a while, too. Now the southern leg only carries 20.

iPhone

sprjus4

I-440 used to be concurrent with I-40 around the southern part of Raleigh to form a full beltway. That designation was removed a couple decades ago and now it's just I-40 (and US-64).

sprjus4

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 19, 2020, 09:27:31 PM
No. I-85-285.
I-85 and I-285 share the same right of way for a small portion, but run on separate carriageways with ramps to switch between.

I believe when they were originally constructed though, they were concurrent on one carriageway.

webny99

I definitely have "shower thoughts" - knew exactly what you were talking about. Mine tend to be "imagine if..." improvements or changes that I would make to roads and signage, rather than actual facts.

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 19, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
Harrisburg is the smallest city in the United States with a completely-limited-access beltway.

I guess it is a full beltway, but the terrible I-83 section doesn't "feel" like a beltway. It's substandard, not-worthy-of-a-blue-and-red-shield, not to mention those one-lane ramps, which are almost disqualifying IMO.

Augusta, GA, and Athens, GA are both smaller metros than Harrisburg, but the cities themselves are larger.
I wonder what's the smallest city with a single-number beltway. Maybe Lubbock, TX?

CoreySamson

Quote from: webny99 on June 20, 2020, 12:07:39 PM
I definitely have "shower thoughts" - knew exactly what you were talking about. Mine tend to be "imagine if..." improvements or changes that I would make to roads and signage, rather than actual facts.

I guess it is a full beltway, but the terrible I-83 section doesn't "feel" like a beltway. It's substandard, not-worthy-of-a-blue-and-red-shield, not to mention those one-lane ramps, which are almost disqualifying IMO.

Augusta, GA, and Athens, GA are both smaller metros than Harrisburg, but the cities themselves are larger.
I wonder what's the smallest city with a single-number beltway. Maybe Lubbock, TX?

A couple smaller Texas cities have at grade beltways; not sure if they're exactly what we're talking about here.

Palestine has Loop 256
Tyler has Loop 323
Lufkin has Loop 287 (not sure if all of the loop is signed as such)
Crockett has Loop 304
Paris has Loop 286 (similar story as with Lufkin, not sure if it is signed all the way around the loop)
Amarillo has Loop 335
Conroe has Loop 336

Crockett might be the winner, at a population of 6950.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

sprjus4

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 20, 2020, 01:30:20 PM

A couple smaller Texas cities have at grade beltways; not sure if they're exactly what we're talking about here.

Palestine has Loop 256
Tyler has Loop 323
Crockett has Loop 304
Paris has Loop 286 (similar story as with Lufkin, not sure if it is signed all the way around the loop)
Amarillo has Loop 335
Conroe has Loop 336

The post above was referring to limited-access beltways in the sense of being a freeway facility.

thspfc

Palestine has Loop 256
Tyler has Loop 323
Crockett has Loop 304
Amarillo has Loop 335
Conroe has Loop 336

Texas sure does love their loops. There are 39 of them in Houston alone.  :spin:

lepidopteran

Look at Lexington, KY.  Has a "wishy-washy" beltway (Rt. 4), with at-grades between some of the interchanges.   Unusual in that it has no freeway connection to either of the local 2DIs -- I-64 or I-75.

thspfc

Quote from: lepidopteran on June 21, 2020, 02:11:19 AM
Look at Lexington, KY.  Has a "wishy-washy" beltway (Rt. 4), with at-grades between some of the interchanges.   Unusual in that it has no freeway connection to either of the local 2DIs -- I-64 or I-75.
That's weird. I'm surprised they didn't route 64 and 75 closer to the city during the push to run Interstates through city centers.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 20, 2020, 01:44:00 PM

Palestine has Loop 256
Tyler has Loop 323
Crockett has Loop 304
Amarillo has Loop 335
Conroe has Loop 336

The post above was referring to limited-access beltways in the sense of being a freeway facility.

Yep... we were talking about strictly full freeway / limited access.

hobsini2

Quote from: thspfc on June 21, 2020, 08:31:55 AM
That's weird. I'm surprised they didn't route 64 and 75 closer to the city during the push to run Interstates through city centers.
While they do not have a direct freeway coonection to KY 4, 64 & 75 are signed at 2 different interchanges.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0744562,-84.5062285,3a,75y,78.43h,85.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_ztq7uiOKr3Wu0YO-k3Q1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0400983,-84.4542317,3a,75y,13.03h,88.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2l0GF9YqaAZBWfkqgVpMag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

My shower thought the other day:

There is no good reason to be against the introduction of W3-5 as a MUTCD warning sign, unless you already had a problem with W3-2.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

crispy93

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 11:56:46 AM
My shower thought the other day:

There is no good reason to be against the introduction of W3-5 as a MUTCD warning sign, unless you already had a problem with W3-2.

I always liked the graphical W3-5. Beats NY's cryptic "speed zone ahead" and "reduced speed ahead", though I notice they're being slowly replaced over time.

My shower thoughts were about NYC parkways that continue into the suburbs with a different name (Henry Hudson continues into Westchester as the Saw Mill, the Grand Central becomes the Northern State, the Belt and Cross Island are functionally the same highway). The Sagtikos and Sunken Meadow are functionally the same highway. Should these highways have one set of mile markers and thus one set of mile-based exits? NYC and LI don't post mile markers so it wouldn't be hard to start now. The Saw Mill already has mile markers that begin at the Bronx/Westchester line so that woould be difficult. And would the HHP/SMRP miles begin at the HHP's southern terminus or use 9A's mile markers to start?
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

ctkatz

Palestine has Loop 256
Tyler has Loop 323
Crockett has Loop 304
Amarillo has Loop 335
Conroe has Loop 336

salem frikkin indiana (2010 pop 6319) has an at grade bypass.

TheGrassGuy

Same with TN-155 in Nashville. Except the part that's not beltway is surface street instead of divided highway.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

jakeroot

Shower thought I had the other day:

Canyon Road in Pierce County, WA was recently modified (along the entire stretch) to include supplemental signals due the vast number of trucks that use the corridor. But several new signals have been built and put into use since the modification that do not include supplemental signals. Why go through all the trouble of installing those supplemental signals, but then not bother to install them at new intersections (along the same corridor!) as well? Is the plan to go back and add them later as well?

briantroutman

That's not terribly meaningful because of the fractured nature of municipal structure in Pennsylvania. Population within the limits of the City of Harrisburg itself is roughly 50,000, but the number of people with Harrisburg addresses is close to 160,000. Harrisburg's metro area population is over 575,000, which is greater than such metros as Springfield (MO),  Montgomery (AL), and Topeka–all of which feature a city center bound on all sides by limited access highways that a state DOT could arbitrarily declare to be a "beltway" .

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.