News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Day Trip to Vermont

Started by ParrDa, October 02, 2017, 09:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Hoping to visit Vermont (for the first time) on Columbus Day. Any must sees in the southwestern part of the state?

ETA that our plans got kiboshed by the remains of hurricane Nate. We ended up heading south to Allegany. Oh well, there's always next year  :)

froggie

- Mount Equinox Toll Road.  Equinox is the tallest peak in the Taconics.

- If you can handle several miles of dirt road, Nat'l Forest Road 71 (also named Somerset Rd off VT 9, not far east of VT 8) is quite scenic and passes through some of the highlands along the spine of the Greens.

- Bring a cooler...awesome gouda cheese at Taylor Farm, about a mile west of VT 100 along VT 11 in Londonderry.

- East of Londonderry off VT 11, there is the town-maintained VT 121 which has a lengthy dirt segment and several non-standard shields.  This will also bring you to Grafton, home of the Grafton Village Cheese Company.

cl94

If you're into covered bridges, there are several between Bennington and Manchester, inclusive. The immediate North Bennington area has 3. Highly recommend the aforementioned VT 121; that's a roadgeek paradise and one of the longest dirt state routes in the east. Has several of the old-style rectangular VT shields. VT 9 is a great scenic drive across the state, even if it can be slow.

Depending on how you head to/from VT, there's a covered bridge along NY 67 in Buskirk and a historic house on the NY/VT line on NY/VT 67.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Is the old traffic signal in downtown Bennington still in use, or has it been replaced?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2017, 02:42:03 PM
Is the old traffic signal in downtown Bennington still in use, or has it been replaced?

Assuming you're referring to the two-aspect one at the US 7/VT 9 intersection, it is gone. Sadly, it was replaced a few years ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.