News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Route 112 now signed in San Leandro (kinda!)

Started by TheStranger, March 16, 2012, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Last year, when I drove through the area, the following overhead on Davis Street a block west of the Nimitz Freeway/I-880 had "Route 61 East" marked.  No more:

DSC_6071 by csampang, on Flickr

There's still one remaining Route 61 sign westbound - for years, 112 has been signed as a seamless extension of Route 61 to Route 185/East 14th Street, with the real 61 continuing on an unbuilt corridor from 112 to 84.

DSC_6086c by csampang, on Flickr

This seems to fit in with the recent "daylighting" of other previously unsigned state routes (262, 77, 114) in the Bay Area.

More photos of the route: http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/sets/72157629231541792/
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

is 114 an "official" daylighting, though?  I seem to remember that the two 114 signs were only on temporary construction signs, implying to me that it was the construction company who did it, likely without explicit Caltrans approval.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 16, 2012, 11:28:53 AM
is 114 an "official" daylighting, though?  I seem to remember that the two 114 signs were only on temporary construction signs, implying to me that it was the construction company who did it, likely without explicit Caltrans approval.

You know, I'm not sure, simply because that's still way more signage than 262 ever got on the actual route!

221 (former segment of 29 that received its number in the 80s) is one of the stranger daylighted routes, I think it's only signed at the termini.

Is 77's one sign an official CalTrans install?  I don't think I've ever gone down that route yet.

275 in West Sacramento I think got daylighted via construction sign referring to "SR 275" but no shield - oddly enough, after the route had been off the legislative books for at least 6-7 years.   Don't know if the sign is still up now that part of old US 40/99W (West Capital Avenue) was closed off to adjust traffic flow near Raley Field.

--

What is amusing is that other than 262, the three newly signed (in some form) routes (114, 112, 77) mentioned above...aren't particularly useful navigationally, while the 93 corridor and 109 remain unsigned and yet offer much more useful connections!
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on March 16, 2012, 04:30:44 PM
275 in West Sacramento I think got daylighted via construction sign referring to "SR 275" but no shield - oddly enough, after the route had been off the legislative books for at least 6-7 years.   Don't know if the sign is still up now that part of old US 40/99W (West Capital Avenue) was closed off to adjust traffic flow near Raley Field.

is that the small white sign on the bridge referring to some kind of weight limitation?  I barely remember seeing something like that in 2006.

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 16, 2012, 05:54:22 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on March 16, 2012, 04:30:44 PM
275 in West Sacramento I think got daylighted via construction sign referring to "SR 275" but no shield - oddly enough, after the route had been off the legislative books for at least 6-7 years.   Don't know if the sign is still up now that part of old US 40/99W (West Capital Avenue) was closed off to adjust traffic flow near Raley Field.

is that the small white sign on the bridge referring to some kind of weight limitation?  I barely remember seeing something like that in 2006.

Here it is - an orange sign that suggested trucks use it (the West Sacramento Freeway, since renamed to Tower Bridge Gateway) instead of the narrow, pre-1950s West Capitol Avenue/Historic US 40.

DSC_0101 by csampang, on Flickr

Since there were no other Route 275 signs in the area, I wonder how useful this was for navigating...
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

I definitely remember a white one of a similar configuration.  I will have to dig up the photo.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.