AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: JPI's Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Official Announcement Sat. April 9, 2016  (Read 49052 times)

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:31:24 PM

From my Facebook event page, consider this the official AAroads RSVP page. :)

Here is the agenda for what will be the first central Pennsylvania Road Meet hosted since 2004.

We will meet at 11:00am ET at Round the Clock Diner (I-83 and US 30 exit 21) for lunch and socialize, next we will head south on I-83 to the PA 124\ Mt. Rose AVE interchange where there will be lots of construction going on to re-configure the interchange, we will get off at this exit, turn left on to Mt. Rose AVE then make a right on to Green Springs DR. this will take us up to Green Springs shopping center (Gabriel Brothers is the main anchor store) where we will park and observer the Mt Rose AVE exit construction (great vantage point) we may take our group photo at this spot.

Next we will go back on to I-83 south to the business I-83 S. George St exit, we will go north on the 4-lane part that dumps us on to S. George St. we will go north through downtown York to clinch this road and to see parts of downtown York.

Next we will go east on US 30 towards Lancaster, we will cross the Susquehanna River bridge but get a great view of the older PA 462 Columbia- Wrightsville Bridge, our next stop will be at the newly opened PA 441 re-alignment at the Columbia exit, we will get off US 30 and check this out, we may even check out the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge if weather is nice.

From here we will continue east on US 30 to Lancaster and take PA 23 east towards New Holland, make a right on PA 772 and check out what would have been (and may still be eventually) the right-of-way for what would have been a 4-lane PA 23 re-alignment, locally known as the "goat path".

After this depending on the time we may head over to the Harrisburg area or check out some road related stuff in Reading, I am leaving this last part open for suggestion. If anyone is up for dinner\ drinks that evening after the meet there is a Primanti Brothers open in York.

Any questions or suggestions please let me know. :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

Some suggestions:

1. US 11/15 and US 22/322 north/northwest of Harrisburg. Beautiful stuff.
2. Can the meet place be changed to John's Diner? It's off exit 40A on I-83. Great food there (Nova Scotia lox FTW).
3. Eisenhower Interchange tour. Show off the ramps of classic 60's engineering.
4. I-83 Capital Beltway construction project (attempt to reconstruct I-83 through Harrisburg)
5. Harrisburg street tour.

dgolub

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
    • East Coast Roads

Can we get a link to the Facebook event?

jpi

Some suggestions:

1. US 11/15 and US 22/322 north/northwest of Harrisburg. Beautiful stuff.
2. Can the meet place be changed to John's Diner? It's off exit 40A on I-83. Great food there (Nova Scotia lox FTW).
3. Eisenhower Interchange tour. Show off the ramps of classic 60's engineering.
4. I-83 Capital Beltway construction project (attempt to reconstruct I-83 through Harrisburg)
5. Harrisburg street tour.

The reason I picked Round The Clock Diner is it is close to the Mt Rose AVE interchange construction and off US 30 which gets us close to Lancaster and the food is good there too and I know the owner personally, I am considering the Harrisburg area for after the Lancaster leg, will see how the rest of the day goes and the weather.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:45:03 PM by jpi »
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

akotchi

• Traffic Engineer by Day; Roadgeek by Night

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:41:35 PM

I am interested in going.  I was born and raised in Lancaster, and my son currently attends York College, so I know the area reasonably well.  This looks like a good itinerary, though perhaps a bit spread out.  Nice excuse to get back to my stomping ground and visit my son on Sunday.

Since work is always a threat, I have to say tentative right now, though.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM

I'm down. My girlfriend will likely be attending as well.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:59:53 AM by Duke87 »
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM

I should be there unless something unforeseen happens with my family back in VA.  I practically feel obligated to go now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:19:12 PM

I'll be there... quite possibly with Chris Bubb. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

dgolub

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
    • East Coast Roads

Here you go! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/events/202135140128245/

The link isn't working.  I think you may have set it to only be visible to invitees.

jpi

Also I forgot to mention, I am going to see if there is a minor league baseball game going on that Saturday evening for either the Lancaster Barn Stormers, York Revolution or Harrisburg Senators. I will keep you all posted.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

I'm down. My girlfriend will likely be attending as well.
Cool! Steph will be attending too ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Ok, no home game for any of the York, Lancaster and Harrisburg teams however, the Reading Phillies have a home game at 6:05pm on Saturday, since we will be checking out the goat path near New Holland, this puts only a half hour from downtown Reading so I am putting this out there if anyone is interested.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

jpi

Here you go! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/events/202135140128245/

The link isn't working.  I think you may have set it to only be visible to invitees.
https://www.facebook.com/events/151815845184833/
Thanks Steve, I made a "public" event and deleted the private one.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:29 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages

The meet time is listed as 11pm at the top of the page (what I assume will end up automatically on some people's calendars). It's 11am later on the page, which is very manageable for me if I can make it.

A possible conflict for me is a legal convention earlier that week, which I try to attend even though I'm no longer a practicing lawyer. But I think I can probably do both.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jpi

The meet time is listed as 11pm at the top of the page (what I assume will end up automatically on some people's calendars). It's 11am later on the page, which is very manageable for me if I can make it.

A possible conflict for me is a legal convention earlier that week, which I try to attend even though I'm no longer a practicing lawyer. But I think I can probably do both.
Got the time fixed, Valerie pointed that out on my facebook event page, thanks for the heads up Oscar! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM

I'm out.  I could do it as a self birthday present but I have limited free time (and as of this post - enthusiasm ;) )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM

At present, I'm a Maybe.  I will make my final decision later in the new year.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jpi

Happy New Years Eve everyone! An update on lodgeing for those coming on Friday night like Steph and I will be. The rates range anywhere from around 55.00 to over 100.00, median price being around 70.00, York and New Cumberland (22 miles up I-83) have the cheapest rates and get higher around Lancaster and Hershey. There is a Days Inn, Super 8, Econo Lodge and Red Roof Inn all just a couple blocks away from Round The Clock Diner at the I-83\ US 30 JCT and are overall decent. Just a little over 4 months to go so there is plenty of time to plan smile emoticon
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

After the Lancaster leg, we could explore a small part of Hershey. It's kind of out of the way on US 30, but we could do so before the Goat Path. It's 28 miles if anyone was wondering.

jpi

After the Lancaster leg, we could explore a small part of Hershey. It's kind of out of the way on US 30, but we could do so before the Goat Path. It's 28 miles if anyone was wondering.
Not sure at this time, the itenerary is set in stone from York to the goat path, after that we will play it by ear, also waiting to see if we will take in a Reading Phillies game or end the evening at Primittie Brothers in York, or even both.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:17:48 AM by jpi »
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Just a quick touching base with everyone, still got over 4 months to go until the meet and already shaping up to be a good turnout  :cool: I plan on going up to York, PA for a "5 day weekend" next week for a toy show being held in Shrewsbury. Besides the show on Sunday I will be spending most of the day on Friday doing what will be my last scouting and checking sites for the tour. Hopefully god forbid they do not get any more snow and what they have now will hopefully be somewhat melted. This will be my final last chance to do any type of scouting since I live 700 miles away but as you all know this is my home town where I lived for the first 30 years of my life and still visit regularly. I am also going to be checking in with Round The Clock and giving them a very early heads up that there will be a large party on Saturday afternoon April 9  :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM

still got over 4 months to go until the meet

Check your math, dude ;-)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

noelbotevera

What we should do as a coup de grace is US 22/US 322 from Harrisburg to Lewistown, then have dinner in State College (great food there). The scenery is beautiful. Alternatively US 11/US 15 to US 22/US 322 is awesome as well. Basically we pass by the 2nd longest MSE in the world and the Lewistown Narrows, infamously known for the accidents it caused.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.