AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: What exactly is a roadmeet?  (Read 4198 times)

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
What exactly is a roadmeet?
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »

I mean, what exactly do you do at one?

They sound like fun, and I would love to attend one someday, but I will probably be unable to do so in the near future (next 2 years or so) unless it was very (and I mean very) convenient for me. I live in Middle Tennessee (Nashville area), though I am originally from Chicagoland. It seems there is not much going on down here to discuss at a roadmeet compared to the Chicago area where I came from.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: What exactly is a roadmeet?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »

You go to lunch and catch up with people. There might be some roads talk, but usually it's just seeing your friends. If you're new, you're busy introducing yourself and getting to know people. The tour itself is where the roads come into play and you look at new construction, old roads and bridges, unusual signs, and similar features. At the end of the day, sometimes people leave, or sometimes there's an "aftermeet" that could be anything from dinner to a baseball game.

dgolub

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
    • East Coast Roads
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »

Basically, everyone meets up for lunch at a restaurant in some location.  After an hour or two, we group into cars, generally about 3-4 people per car, and follow a tour route set out by the meet host that takes us through the most interesting places in the area (e.g. bridges, scenic routes, interesting signage or interchanges, new construction, etc.).  Along the way, there are generally 3-5 stops where everyone recongregates and people can take pictures from outside the car.  At the end, we wind up back at the restaurant so that people can return to their own vehicles to head out.  As Steve said, sometimes there's dinner afterwards for people who are available to stay.

dgolub

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
    • East Coast Roads
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »

There might be some roads talk, but usually it's just seeing your friends.

Huge understatement.  We're known to have conversations where every other word out of someone's mouth is a route number.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »

Huge understatement.  We're known to have conversations where every other word out of someone's mouth is a route number.

Depends on the group.  Amongst the "more established" group (i.e. those who have been attending meets for a decade or more), there's a lot less road-related talk than one might otherwise expect.  There are a number of mutually-shared hobbies amongst some.  Hockey has been a big topic at some of the meets I've attended.  We've even had dinners that involved hockey games beforehand or afterwards.

Jardine

• Last Login: September 06, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »

Poring over asphalt samples

paint chip samples for hiway striping

blue prints of various guard rail installations on route 3 in northern Iowa

a retrospective on unusual fonts used on 1930s signage

and many more wonders, all to spectacular to list !!!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.