AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: JPI's Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Official Announcement Sat. April 9, 2016  (Read 49049 times)

rawmustard

• Posin' with the marker

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
    • Blog

What we should do as a coup de grace is US 22/US 322 from Harrisburg to Lewistown, then have dinner in State College (great food there). The scenery is beautiful. Alternatively US 11/US 15 to US 22/US 322 is awesome as well. Basically we pass by the 2nd longest MSE in the world and the Lewistown Narrows, infamously known for the accidents it caused.

Dude, State College is over 100 miles away from York. As far as I know, no one in my party will want to venture that far for dinner. If that's something you want to do on your own, have at it.

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: Today at 03:31:24 PM

Yes I agree, it is scenic going up 22/322 but that is a pretty far drive considering we will possibly end up in the Reading area and I am going to check later today for Reading Phillies baseball tickets.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

still got over 4 months to go until the meet

Check your math, dude ;-)
OOPS, more like 3 months, just glad it is almost the end of January :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

What we should do as a coup de grace is US 22/US 322 from Harrisburg to Lewistown, then have dinner in State College (great food there). The scenery is beautiful. Alternatively US 11/US 15 to US 22/US 322 is awesome as well. Basically we pass by the 2nd longest MSE in the world and the Lewistown Narrows, infamously known for the accidents it caused.

Dude, State College is over 100 miles away from York. As far as I know, no one in my party will want to venture that far for dinner. If that's something you want to do on your own, have at it.
Are you, A.J. and Chris Bubb all car pooling together from Michigan?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: Today at 08:19:12 PM

OOPS, more like 3 months, just glad it is almost the end of January :-)

Actually, now we're only a little over 2 months away if you can believe it. Time flies! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Are you, A.J. and Chris Bubb all car pooling together from Michigan?

I'll chime in on Brian's behalf. Yeah - Chris Bubb and I are riding with Brian to the meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Ok, thought so A.J. have you guys checked lodging yet?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Ok, thought so A.J. have you guys checked lodging yet?

Brian booked a room for us at the Wingate near the junction of U.S. 30 and I-83. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Cool! It is one of the nicer hotels in the area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Hi everyone. With just 2 months left to go I have some updates on this meet. I took an "imprompto" 5 day weekend trip home to central PA this past weekend to do a couple small toy shows but to also do some final scouting for this meet.

I have let Round The Clock managment know on Saturday April 9 at 11:00am there will be a large party coming for lunch and gave them a rough estimate of how many (possibly 2 dozen), they can accomodate us and showed me roughly where we would be sitting. I told them I will call them closer to the time so by March 31 I will need to touch base with them so for those who are on the fence at that time I will need an accurate head count, thank you in advance  :sombrero:

Next I did a tour dry run. My plan is for us to depart Round The Clock by 1pm, head south on I-83 to Mt Rose Ave exit, go east on Mt Rose ave (PA 124) turn right on Camp Betty Washington Rd then turn left on Green Springs Dr and this will take us up to the shopping center overlooking the interchange. We will park our cars on the north end of the parking lot near 3 flag poles, there we will get a great view overlooking the interchange and the eastern suburbs of York, I was thinking taking our group pic there, then those who would like to car pool the rest of the tour can leave there cars parked at the shopping center (this is how we did at my mid TN meet 2 years ago)

Next we will go south on I-83 to S. George St exit, take Business 83 north and go through central York to the north end and clinch business 83. Next we will go east on US 30 to the newely revamped PA 441 Columbia exit, get off there and go south on PA 441 under the PA 462 bridge to a river front park that offers I nice view of the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge. From there we go back to US 30 east to Lancaster where we will trace the route of the "goat path" This will include the relocated PA 23 routing on the Walnut St extension that opened in the early 90's then travel through Lancaster County farm land tracing the routing of the goat path which was going to be a PA 23 expressway similar to US 222 nearby.

We will also check out the "ghost interchange" with PA 772 near Leola, from there we will take PA 23 east to Morgantown for a complete clinch of I-176. From there we could possibly take in a Reading Phillies game or if time permits check out road related features of Reading. We will then head back to York and since there is a road geek favorite in York call Primanti Brothers we can have an after meet event there.

Sorry for the long read but I do believe this will be the final draft for this meet, also I will b posting pics I took along the route to give everyone an idea of what we will see. Should not have to worry about snow and hopefully the weather will be nice. I will also have directions and maps made up for everyone. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:33:55 PM by jpi »
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

For the Reading leg, we could also check out the US 222/US 422 freeway to show off how substandard it is (pretty narrow). Then we could follow US 222 up to Allentown then take I-78 out of Allentown and U-turn to see how the freeway was upgraded into I-78 from US 309.

This is more for me, but anyone is free to follow. Maybe even add it to the meet itinerary. I'll check out I-476 (to see how the freeway was upgraded from PA 9) down to US 202 into Philadelphia, explore there for a bit, then return home via US 202 to US 30, then PA 283 down to I-283, then on US 15 to Gettysburg and return home via US 30.

Also, is there anything special on PA 611? I could take that down to Philadelphia for any remaining remnants of US 611. Also, the US 611 shield on the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap.

I doubt this would become a part of the meet, but I'd suggest that we could do what was mentioned.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

For the Reading leg, we could also check out the US 222/US 422 freeway to show off how substandard it is (pretty narrow). Then we could follow US 222 up to Allentown then take I-78 out of Allentown and U-turn to see how the freeway was upgraded into I-78 from US 309.

This is more for me, but anyone is free to follow. Maybe even add it to the meet itinerary. I'll check out I-476 (to see how the freeway was upgraded from PA 9) down to US 202 into Philadelphia, explore there for a bit, then return home via US 202 to US 30, then PA 283 down to I-283, then on US 15 to Gettysburg and return home via US 30.

Also, is there anything special on PA 611? I could take that down to Philadelphia for any remaining remnants of US 611. Also, the US 611 shield on the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap.

I doubt this would become a part of the meet, but I'd suggest that we could do what was mentioned.
You don't get it. You just don't get it. This is not your meet. You do not decide what is seen on a meet.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:22 PM

You don't get it. You just don't get it. This is not your meet. You do not decide what is seen on a meet.

Exactly.  Even though I live in PA now and brought up the idea of stopping at the PA 441 Bypass in Columbia (as it was along Jason's planned route anyway), Jason still planned the meet so he makes the final decisions.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway

Plus, you're trying to cover an awful lot of territory there. Sounds like you're trying to get to a quarter of the state in a window of only a handful of hours. Suggestions in the immediate area are OK, and I've certainly welcomed them when I've hosted meets, but here you're suggesting going from York all the way up to Allentown and then back down to Philly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:55 PM

He is supposedly only 11.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jpi

Wow! Just now seeing all of this :biggrin:. I am considering we check out 222/422 and even PA 12 expressways but that is the limit. It would probably be around 5ish by the time we get to this area of Reading.  And thanks 74/171 fan for the Columbia stop since this will offer a great view of the Columbia-
Wrightsville Bridge and to see the new 441 alignment and is not out of our way. Anyway, yes after my "dry run" last Friday everything is now set in stone and NO further additions :pan:. Now I have a question, who is up for a Reading Phillies baseball game at the end or just an evening at Primanti Brothers for an after meet dinner\ hanging out, or even combine both?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

[/quote

With the exception of the Reading part, this is not going to happen, also would your dad be willing to drive this far from Chambersburg??
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

[/quote

With the exception of the Reading part, this is not going to happen, also would your dad be willing to drive this far from Chambersburg??
He said that the meet day is basically my day. I can wander around and since it's a Saturday, I have all the time in the world pretty much. The day of the meet is my time for exploring, so yes my dad is willing.

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads

Now I have a question, who is up for a Reading Phillies baseball game at the end or just an evening at Primanti Brothers for an after meet dinner\ hanging out, or even combine both?
Personally, I'm more interested in Primanti Brothers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

[/quote

He said that the meet day is basically my day. I can wander around and since it's a Saturday, I have all the time in the world pretty much. The day of the meet is my time for exploring, so yes my dad is willing.
Then that is good, when I was your age my parents would take me and my younger sister on Sunday drives but it was usually not much longer then an hour from York, there were many days I wish my dad would drive us further out.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM

Now I have a question, who is up for a Reading Phillies baseball game at the end or just an evening at Primanti Brothers for an after meet dinner\ hanging out, or even combine both?
I'm up for attending the game.

Note: at present, consider me a 'yes' for attendance.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Ditto, but I might explore a bit before the game (if the meet ends at 5 pm, I'll start exploring up until 5:50 pm to be early)

jpi

Ditto, but I might explore a bit before the game (if the meet ends at 5 pm, I'll start exploring up until 5:50 pm to be early)
Well, it may not end at 5pm, it could go straight up to the time of the game (which last check was 6pm), so far it is split as to who is interested in the baseball game or no big deal, besides, it sounds like you want to do MUCH more exploring beyond Reading.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Ok will do, are you on FB? If not, like with Oscar Voss I will make a mental note ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Well, looks like the Reading Phillies game may be out, tickets no longer available online, I will try to get a hold of the box office in the morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.