AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: JPI's Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Official Announcement Sat. April 9, 2016  (Read 49049 times)

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: Today at 03:31:24 PM

Cool! :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land

For those who are RSVPing on facebook and still "maybe", I will need to get a good guest count to Round The Clock in the next couple weeks so if you could "get off the fence" that would be great :sombrero:.

Consider me “off the fence” –I just booked flights for that weekend and will be there for the meet.

jpi

For those who are RSVPing on facebook and still "maybe", I will need to get a good guest count to Round The Clock in the next couple weeks so if you could "get off the fence" that would be great :sombrero:.

Consider me “off the fence” –I just booked flights for that weekend and will be there for the meet.
Awsome! We are now starting to hit the 2 dozen mark for attendees and with 3 and a half weeks left to go! :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

BTW, are we doing a part of US 111? Because I think I myself might take that down to York. Not sure what route it followed.

Also, do you have the route PDF yet? We're 22 days away from the meet.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

BTW, are we doing a part of US 111? Because I think I myself might take that down to York. Not sure what route it followed.

US 111 followed Susquehanna Trail. Bam. (181/382 was part of this.)

jpi

Yes and we will be following what was US 111 when we clinch Bus. 83, As for the PDF, understand I can only do so much at work so I may not have a PDF published to view online, that is why I posted the tour itinerary both on this thread and the FB page, I will have hand outs ready in time for the meet for those driving.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Yes and we will be following what was US 111 when we clinch Bus. 83, As for the PDF, understand I can only do so much at work so I may not have a PDF published to view online, that is why I posted the tour itinerary both on this thread and the FB page, I will have hand outs ready in time for the meet for those driving.
Gotcha. I'll see if I can't find the FB page to tell my dad.

noelbotevera

By the way, I might be a little late to the meet because before the meet I want to visit Three Mile Island which is about 15 minutes drive from York. I'll make it brief as there's not a lot to see there, and access is restricted.

jpi

By the way, I might be a little late to the meet because before the meet I want to visit Three Mile Island which is about 15 minutes drive from York. I'll make it brief as there's not a lot to see there, and access is restricted.

Thanks for the heads up.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Well everyone we are down to 10 days and counting!  :sombrero: With 22 confirmed going on FB and at least 3 going through AARoads, this is shaping up to be the biggest meet in terms of attendence since the NYC national meet in June 2014, Steph and I are very excited and looking foward to it, so far the weather looks ok but we still have a ways to go.

I plan to call Round The Clock Diner in the next couple days to give them a head count and just to play it safe I am going to say 30 to give us a "margin of error" so anyone who is still maybe if you can make a final decision by the beginning of next week that would be great.  :bigass: Steph and I are staying in the Harrisburg area next Friday night and will drive down from there, I plan to get there before 11am, also I have the tour itenerary typed up and ready for print for those who will be driving the tour besides myself, remember I will have a mini van that seats 6.

Thanks again everyone for your support and give me a shout if there is any questions. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Egads, turns out I'm wrong. It's 38 minutes from York to TMI, and 29 miles away. I might have to be late for this one.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 10:06:37 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages

Egads, turns out I'm wrong. It's 38 minutes from York to TMI, and 29 miles away. I might have to be late for this one.

Or you might need to skip TMI on this trip, or leave home earlier (maybe much earlier, since travel time estimates are often overly optimistic).

Arriving late to your first road meet would not be a good start with our community. Especially since lunch, and the usual chit-chat before we enter the restaurant (for those of us who try to arrive early), will probably be your best chance to meet us. Some people consider socializing over lunch the most important part of a meet, and may skip much or all of the after-lunch tour.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jpi

Or you might need to skip TMI on this trip, or leave home earlier (maybe much earlier, since travel time estimates are often overly optimistic).

Arriving late to your first road meet would not be a good start with our community. Especially since lunch, and the usual chit-chat before we enter the restaurant (for those of us who try to arrive early), will probably be your best chance to meet us. Some people consider socializing over lunch the most important part of a meet, and may skip much or all of the after-lunch tour.
I second what Oscar says, TMI can be a whole other trip and besides, on my tour we will come close to it anyway, maybe you and your dad can take a "side trip" to it when we get to the Harrisburg area, besides I am looking at possibly over 2 dozen people attending and I need to let the restaurant know, you may want to skip going to TMI before the meet, besides the cooling towers are the most interesting part and can be seen for miles, the rest you can't get in to.   :no:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Noted. I'll just skip it considering how far away it is, and arriving late is not the best for any situation that involves time.

jpi

Less then a week! I will be calling the diner to remind them and get them a near accurate count of how many, at this point about 25 people confirmed between here and facebook, also the weather is not looking as nice as I was hoping but no rain in the forecast but it will be partly cloudy and may not get out of the 40's so dress accordingly, also casual dress is fine since the tuxedo meet was this past Saturday ;-) I will keep you guys posted! :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:31:09 PM by jpi »
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Hi everyone, some more updates, I talked to Round The Clock Diner Management today and they are aware of how large of a party, we are now pushing 30 total! :bigass: This would make for the largest meet turn out in 6 years!! Some bad news regarding the weather for Saturday, as much as I was hoping and praying it would be nice and sunny, we may have a possible repeat of the weather at my last road meet 2 years ago in middle TN, those who attended that will remember it was cold and windy and an occasional sprinkle, hate to say it but it is way too late for me to postpone this as I am limited to this coming weekend and I am sure all of you have your travel plan all set and finalized by now so rain or shine this meet is happening this Saturday.

And now the final tour draft that I will have printed up for the drivers but with a last minute addition\ option for everyone-

Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Tour

Stop #1
 My plan is for us to depart Round The Clock by 1pm, head south on I-83 to Mt Rose Ave exit 18, go east on Mt Rose ave (PA 124) turn right on Camp Betty Washington Rd (first light pass the exit) then turn left on Green Springs Dr and this will take us up to the shopping center overlooking the interchange. We will park our cars on the north end of the parking lot near 3 flag poles, there we will get a great view overlooking the interchange and the eastern suburbs of York, I would like to take our group pic there, then those who would like to car pool the rest of the tour can leave there cars parked at the shopping center.
 (this is what we did at my mid TN meet 2 years ago)

Next we will get back on I-83 south to the S. George St exit (exit 15), We will drive through the interchange and make a “U-turn”  at the Leader Heights exit (14) just past exit 15, head back north on I-83 and continue onto the Bus. 83 expressway (this was originally I-83 until the by-pass section opened in 1960) We will take Business 83 north and go through downtown York to PA 181 and I-83 and clinch business 83.
We have the option to just go east on US 30 at that point or continue north 1 mile to I-83 exit 22 and “double back”  on 83 south to US 30 east. Once we are on US 30 we will go east to the newly revamped PA 441 Columbia exit. We will get off there and go south on PA 441 under the PA 462 bridge to a river front park that offers a nice view of the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge.  *This is stop #2
The Columbia—Wrightsville Bridge, officially the Veterans Memorial Bridge, spans the Susquehanna River between Columbia and Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, and carries Pennsylvania Route 462. Built originally as the Lancaster-York Intercounty Bridge, construction began in 1929, and the bridge opened September 30, 1930. On November 11, 1980, it was officially dedicated as Veterans Memorial Bridge, though it is still referenced locally as the Columbia—Wrightsville Bridge.
Designed by James B. Long and built by Glen Wiley and Glenway Maxon (Wiley-Maxon Construction Company), it cost $2,484,000 (equal to $35,186,701 today) plus $56,400 (equal to $798,925 today) paid as an early completion bonus. Constructed of reinforced concrete, the 5,183-foot (1,580 m)-long bridge (6,657 feet (2,029 m) including spans over land) has 27 river piers, 22 approach piers, a 38-foot (12 m)-wide two-lane roadway, and a 6-foot (1.8 m)-wide sidewalk.[1] 100,000 cubic yards (76,000 m3) of concrete and 8 million pounds of steel reinforcing rods were used, and coffer dams were built to aid in construction. Each span consists of three separate concrete ribs connected at five points by horizontal concrete struts, with the longest span measuring 185 feet (56 m).

*Now the last minute addition, some of you may have heard there is a circa 1960 style McDonalds sign on nearby Columbia Ave (old US 30) that will no longer be standing after the middle of April, I am putting this option on here to see if any of you are interested in taking a side trip to check this out, maybe even do another group pic here, if so we would exit at the Roherstown\ Millersville exit (Pa 741) take 741 south to 462\ Columbia AVE east, stop at the McDonalds then head back to US 30 east or continue east on Columbia Ave into downtown Lancaster and work our way to Walnut St. ( I will have a map made up for this)

*And if we choose to skip the McDonalds stop-
From there we go back to US 30 east to Lancaster where we will trace the route of the "goat path" This will include the relocated PA 23 routing on the Walnut St extension that opened in the early 90's then travel through Lancaster County farm land tracing the routing of the goat path which was going to be a PA 23 expressway similar to US 222 nearby.

We will take the Walnut St exit and follow Walnut St (PA 23) west into Lancaster and make a U-turn at Broad St then take Walnut St back to US 30 and go east on 30 to the Green field Rd exit. From there we will turn right on Greenfield Rd and head east to Willow Rd and turn left, we will go over the first over pass of what was going to be the PA 23 expressway, if weather permits we can stop here and look around, This is Stop #3 next we will proceed north and make a right on to Creek Hill Rd. We will follow Creek Hill Rd east to Hartman Station Rd and turn south to check out the next overpass.

Next we will continue south on Hartman Station Rd until we get to Horseshoe Rd where we will make a left and head north towards Leola. We will then go under the goat path and if weather permits stop and check out the overpass. From there we will continue north on Horseshoe to Creek Hill Rd and go east to Newport Rd (PA 772) and turn south. We will then check out the "ghost interchange" with PA 772 near Leola. This is stop #4 From there we will take PA 23 east to Morgantown for a complete clinch of I-176 then go west on US 422 towards Reading.
When we get to Reading on US 422 we will follow this to PA 12 (Warren St by-pass) east to Pricetown and take PA 662 north to US 222, we will follow US 222 south on to the old "road to nowhere" which in 2000 was linked up with the US 422 expressway in Wyomissing, from there we follow US 222 south to the Turnpike (we will see where the old interchange was prior to the current US 222 expressway) then take the Turnpike west to the 283 interchange, go north on I-283 for a complete clinch of this, then see the Eisenhower interchange as we go to I-83 south, follow 83 south through Harrisburg and Lemoyne to see the recent re-construction of this area and follow 83 south back to York.

Overall this will extend the tour to around 6pm to 7pm until we get back to York; this is figuring all stopping points and for restroom\ beverage breaks.

Thanks again everyone, we are at 4 days and counting! :)

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

A couple thoughts:

Why take I-83 south to exit 15? I was thinking of the small part of US 111/Susquehanna Trail east of there.
Near the end of I-176 is the old interchange with PA 10 and the Turnpike. Could that be a last minute stop?
Actually is it possible for people to go into the Goat Path ROW? I'm not sure if the state owns the land anymore.

jpi

A couple thoughts:

Why take I-83 south to exit 15? I was thinking of the small part of US 111/Susquehanna Trail east of there.
Near the end of I-176 is the old interchange with PA 10 and the Turnpike. Could that be a last minute stop?
Actually is it possible for people to go into the Goat Path ROW? I'm not sure if the state owns the land anymore.
Exit 15 was revamped 10 years ago and was never "highlighted" at a road meet, also it will allow us to trace the old US 111 in downtown York as Business 83. As for the old interchange with I-176 and PA 10 I doubt it since this itinerary is now st in stone and the weather may not be very sunny either. As for the goat path I do not plan for us to walk on the goat path right of way, just make a couple stops if weather permits to take pics and check it out and that is all.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

I've been to the 10/76 interchange. You can't see much because it's fenced off. If the meet is running ahead of schedule it's not too far off the beaten path, but that's a big if. I don't believe that the Goat Path will be quick stops.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM

I mentioned privately to JPI on Facebook but I'll share such here; due to several time & date changes (not my own doing) with several of my after-work activities and commitments (creating some overlaps), there's now only a 50-50 chance of my attending this meet this Saturday.

I will let JPI know (via call/text, since I'll be away from any internet) sometime tomorrow whether or not I'll be able to attend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jpi

Got the message, so far still calling for snow showers Saturday morning and may change to rain :banghead:, should not be a big deal but hopefully we can still pull this off with out a hitch  :nod:, Steph and I will be on the road tomorrow driving through east TN and VA and will be staying in Harrisburg, I have a Chrysler Town and Country rented that seats 7 including myself, looking forward to seeing everyone!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land

I may be the only one with this attitude, but coming back home from Florida, I’m actually looking forward to some cool, drizzly PA spring weather. As long as we don’t have downpours, I’ll be happy.

rawmustard

• Posin' with the marker

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
    • Blog

I may be the only one with this attitude, but coming back home from Florida, I’m actually looking forward to some cool, drizzly PA spring weather. As long as we don’t have downpours, I’ll be happy.

I will have a poncho in my car in case it is needed. :p

jpi

And I just put in an umberalla, hat and gloves, fingers crossed I may not need them but just in case
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

And I just put in an umberalla, hat and gloves, fingers crossed I may not need them but just in case
I just wear a CAMS Cougars hoodie and that's it. Call me crazy though  :crazy:.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.