AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: JPI's Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Official Announcement Sat. April 9, 2016  (Read 49052 times)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM

Now I have a question, who is up for a Reading Phillies baseball game at the end or just an evening at Primanti Brothers for an after meet dinner\ hanging out, or even combine both?
I'm up for attending the game.

Note: at present, consider me a 'yes' for attendance.
Ok will do, are you on FB? If not, like with Oscar Voss I will make a mental note ;-)
I am but I usually don't post my attendance/whereabouts on FB until after the fact.  I usually PM or use other means (like this site  :) ).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:31:24 PM

Ok, no problem, will make a mental note, BTW we are pushing 20 confirmed going! :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

An update on the after meet plans, looks like Reading Phillies tickets are sold out for that evening :-/ What I am thinking is after Reading we take US 222 south to the Turnpike west where there is construction going on to widen it to 6 lanes from the Susquehanna River Bridge to the west Shore I-83 exit, from there take 83 south back to York and do Primanti Brothers for dinner and adult beverage :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

An update on the after meet plans, looks like Reading Phillies tickets are sold out for that evening :-/ What I am thinking is after Reading we take US 222 south to the Turnpike west where there is construction going on to widen it to 6 lanes from the Susquehanna River Bridge to the west Shore I-83 exit, from there take 83 south back to York and do Primanti Brothers for dinner and adult beverage :sombrero:
What about US 422? That's another really old freeway.

My thoughts is that we take US 222 over to the US 222/422 concurrency, follow US 422, do a street tour around Reading, then head back down on US 222 over to the Turnpike.

jpi

What about US 422? That's another really old freeway.

My thoughts is that we take US 222 over to the US 222/422 concurrency, follow US 422, do a street tour around Reading, then head back down on US 222 over to the Turnpike.
Let me explain something, I was open to suggestions early on, now that I have this set in stone I am good. we will still be running the 422/222 multiplex but we will not go through downtown Reading, it is not much different then downtown York which we will see. I appreciate your enthusiasm but keep in mind, you NEVER want to "take over" a meet, suggestions are fine but there is a fine line between suggestions and just plain taking over, thanks.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads

"noel": Let me piggyback on that. There are three types of roadgeeks. Lurkers, newbies, and established ones. Lurkers are the ones who more or less never post. All of the usernames with less than 10 posts here. Their role is to enjoy, but they typically don't join us. That's fine. Newbies include you. You aren't established. You haven't met or talked with a bunch of people - nor can you, at your age. Becoming established is a process. You post. You ask. You observe. You learn. You gain respect by doing these things and knowing your place. In time, we come to accept you, and you become established.
If someone established - like me - were to suggest a modification - such as using I-283 as a short link instead of directly connecting to I-83 - the meet organizer would consider it. That's because I have experience with meets and understand the types of small changes that might be acceptable to the organizer as well as beneficial to attendees. (I've clinched I-283, but many people have not, and it's low-hanging fruit and doesn't really take much time. And it wouldn't replace anything else on the meet.)
If someone who is not established suggests a modification, it is not taken so well. You do not understand the process. You have no experience with meets. You don't know us personally. You come across as a know-it-all and someone who wants things your way. That is not your role, and you will learn that over time with age. You should observe us, and learn from us, and let us call the shots until you have enough experience to become established. Then we will listen to and respect you. It takes time, patience, and maturity.

jpi

And here is what will be the end of our tour. When we get to reading on US 422 we will follow this to PA 12 (Warren St by-pass) east to Pricetown and take PA 662 north to US 222, we will follow US 222 south on to the old "road to nowhere" which in 2000 was linked up with the US 422 expressway in Wyomissing, from there we follow US 222 south to the Turnpike (we will see where the old interchange was prior to the current US 222 expressway) then take the Turnpike west to the 283 interchange, go north on I-283 for a complete clinch of this, then see the Eisenhower interchange as we go to I-83 south, follow 83 south through Harrisburg and Lemyone to see the recent re-construction of this area and follow 83 south back to York.

Overall this will extend the tour to around 6pm to 7pm until we get back to York, this is figuring all stopping points and for restroom\ beverage breaks. It will be almost mid April and should be longer daylight and hopefully no rain and overall nice weather. I am now considering doing something even more fun when we get back to York by doing karaoke at a local decent lounge but Primanti Brothers is still an option perhaps for dinner. I am open to any feedback, BUT the Reading area is by far the max limit we will travel from York, nothing beyond it. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Noted. I'll try my best to tune down my comments here. I have a feeling I'm gonna become ethanman. Now yes, I think you guys are fed up with having to correct me every time, but I do have a bit of a reason for that.

I'm truly only 11 and I don't have a license yet. This is my only exposure to the outside world and places that I've never been to before. I don't go on road trips much, and my family dislikes longer ones (over 3 hours) quite a bit. I haven't had much time to be outside driving yet.

Secondly, my other reasoning is that I like to suggest things quite a bit, and it is understandable that I'm not integrated into this whole society yet. I'm learning, but I have a feeling I'm really rushing myself here. In my family, I've been known to pick routes that wander around the wilderness, and suggest things at every stop, turn, freeway entrance, etc.

Thirdly, my suggestions are merely my thoughts. I know they won't be taken as seriously to the person hosting the road meet.

So I'm sorry if I came off as a know-it-all. Thanks for the constructive criticism, Alps.

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land

Is this meet still open to new RSVPs? I’m not sure that I’ll be able to fly home to PA that weekend, but if so, I’d love to be there.

jpi

Still open, just let me know closer to the time, by roughly March 9 I would like to start getting a more concrete # of attendees. I was n York the other weekend and I eat at Round The Clock several times when I am in town, I know the owner and a number of front of house employees know me, I told them and the manager and they are aware of our party, I told them roughly 2 dozen give or take.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Noted. I'll try my best to tune down my comments here. I have a feeling I'm gonna become ethanman. Now yes, I think you guys are fed up with having to correct me every time, but I do have a bit of a reason for that.

I'm truly only 11 and I don't have a license yet. This is my only exposure to the outside world and places that I've never been to before. I don't go on road trips much, and my family dislikes longer ones (over 3 hours) quite a bit. I haven't had much time to be outside driving yet.

Secondly, my other reasoning is that I like to suggest things quite a bit, and it is understandable that I'm not integrated into this whole society yet. I'm learning, but I have a feeling I'm really rushing myself here. In my family, I've been known to pick routes that wander around the wilderness, and suggest things at every stop, turn, freeway entrance, etc.

Thirdly, my suggestions are merely my thoughts. I know they won't be taken as seriously to the person hosting the road meet.

So I'm sorry if I came off as a know-it-all. Thanks for the constructive criticism, Alps.
Thanks!  :cool:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

wphiii

• Last Login: June 15, 2023, 08:38:57 AM

Apologies for eavesdropping and this ship may have already sailed for you guys, but for what it's worth, I'm on the R-Phils site right now and there are quite a few tickets for the Sat. April 9 game available in the yellow/green sections behind home plate.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:19:12 PM

I'm truly only 11 and I don't have a license yet.

Yikes... we have an 11-year-old attending this meet? I wish I would have had the opportunity to attend a road meet when I was 11. Please tell me that one of your parents is accompanying you on this meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

noelbotevera

I'm truly only 11 and I don't have a license yet.

Yikes... we have an 11-year-old attending this meet? I wish I would have had the opportunity to attend a road meet when I was 11. Please tell me that one of your parents is accompanying you on this meet.
Yes, my father.

jpi

Yes A.J. we will have probably the youngest road geek attending a meet, there may be more records set for this meet too. :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Yes A.J. we will have probably the youngest road geek attending a meet, there may be more records set for this meet too. :)
Let's hope I'm not an idiot. I'm a smart kid, you know.

jpi

Let's hope I'm not an idiot. I'm a smart kid, you know.
You seem to be, I am agreeing with A.J. I would have been in heaven if road meets existed when I was 11, and this was in 1983-1984!  :-D
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:19:12 PM

Yes, my father.
[/quote]

That's awesome! You are a lucky kid to have your father supporting you in this interest. I wish my dad could have taken me to road meets when I was 11. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Yes, my father.

That's awesome! You are a lucky kid to have your father supporting you in this interest. I wish my dad could have taken me to road meets when I was 11. :)
[/quote]
Same here A.J. Drove my parents crazy on long trips reading signs but always helped navigate for them on long trips.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

brianreynolds

• Last Login: February 14, 2023, 11:33:14 PM

Jason, I don't know if I ever updated my status.  Last I remember, I posted that I had a 70% probability of attending.  Looks more like about 95% now.

I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces, and meeting new people. 

Brian Reynolds

jpi

Sweet!  :) Just change your status on my FB event page, getting closer and closer to the day! :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM

Jason, I don't know if I ever updated my status.  Last I remember, I posted that I had a 70% probability of attending.  Looks more like about 95% now.

I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces, and meeting new people. 

Brian Reynolds

Cool!  I'm now at 100% for attending.  We'll have a decent contingent of "westerners" there, LOL!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

Awsome Brandon! You got to see my adopted\ current home town 2 years ago, now you will see my original home town :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

We are now 30 days out  :biggrin: Everything is still set to go and set in stone from where we are meeting for lunch to the meet tour to the after meet festivities. I am going to start working on maps and hand outs for everyone and ones who will be driving during the tour in the next 2 weeks, I am working on getting a rental mini van (one with stow and go seating) since this trip ties in with Steel City Con in Monroeville, PA the next weekend but will have all of my merchandise out so that I can car pool at least 6 comfortably. We are now at around 20 people coming including facebook and RSVP here. For those who are RSVPing on facebook and still "maybe", I will need to get a good guest count to Round The Clock in the next couple weeks so if you could "get off the fence" that would be great :sombrero:.

Looks like this is shaping up to be the biggest road meet I have hosted yet and outside of the Tuxedo meet, the first big meet of 2016 :-)
Steph and I are looking forward to seeing everyone! :D
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM

I am willing to assist in the car pool duties... and unlike last year's Scranton meet (where I had to leave early for another commitment in Lancaster that evening); I plan to be there for the entire meet (i.e., my calendar's clear for that day).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:40:33 PM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.