News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridge Reconstruction US 64 Moffett, OK

Started by US71, June 19, 2018, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

ODOT is repairing/rebuilding 3 bridges along WB US 64 near Moffett, OK  The bridge over Old 64 is being completely rebuilt one lane at a time and two subsequent are having the concrete decks replaced (again, one lane at a time, staring on the inside lanes)  These bridges have the old steel railings and date back to around 1956 and were just patched two years ago. This has been badly needed for quite a while.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Speaking of Moffett, they need to extend US 271 along US 71B, US 64 and OK 64D to end at I-40, Exit 330/Exit 1. This would emphasize OK 64D as a shortcut from downtown Fort Smith to I-40 which leads to I-49 and Fayetteville. If I'm in downtown Fort Smith and I'm heading towards NWA, I always take OK 64D. It's a nice road and would make a dandy extension of US 271.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 03:18:43 AM
Speaking of Moffett, they need to extend US 271 along US 71B, US 64 and OK 64D to end at I-40, Exit 330/Exit 1. This would emphasize OK 64D as a shortcut from downtown Fort Smith to I-40 which leads to I-49 and Fayetteville. If I'm in downtown Fort Smith and I'm heading towards NWA, I always take OK 64D. It's a nice road and would make a dandy extension of US 271.

Actually 64 at Roland is considered the "shortcut"

bugo

US 64 isn't a shortcut from downtown Fort Smith to I-40 east.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 30, 2018, 03:31:06 AM

But it is to 40 west at Roland or from 40 east at Roland.

robbones

They started pouring the deck on the bridge going over old US 64. Interestingly, they've tore out part of the concrete barrier just east of the bridge. They've shortened the closed lane to just past the bridge they're repairing.

LGL164VL

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on June 30, 2018, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 30, 2018, 03:31:06 AM

But it is to 40 west at Roland or from 40 east at Roland.
I can attest to this, me and my father take US 64 to Dora, and then to I-40 quite often.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

I noticed this evening, they appear to be starting work EB. I'll have to go back during the day

bugo

You wouldn't take US 64 west to I-40 if you are going east on I-40. You would either take Midland/US64 east to I-540 or US 64 west to OK 64D north. This route is very useful but is not advertise and a lot of motorists don't it's there. A US 271 designation would highlight this road.

Nexus 5X

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2018, 11:41:27 PM
I noticed this evening, they appear to be starting work EB. I'll have to go back during the day
I'll go check it out as well.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

robbones

They tore up the concrete barrier just east of the bridge going over Old US 64 to allow mixer trucks access to the WB bridge. I drive through this area 3 to 4 times a day. The lane has been poured and cured, and they're doing the rebar for the concrete guard rail. My estimate is they'll be ready to pour cement in about a couple of weeks and within a month, switching sides.
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 17, 2018, 02:02:36 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2018, 11:41:27 PM
I'll go check it out as well.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 17, 2018, 01:41:44 AM
You wouldn't take US 64 west to I-40 if you are going east on I-40. You would either take Midland/US64 east to I-540 or US 64 west to OK 64D north. This route is very useful but is not advertise and a lot of motorists don't it's there. A US 271 designation would highlight this road.

I don't take 64 at all to go east on 40, given my close proximity to 540 ;)

robbones

The concrete barrier has been replaced just east of the old US 64 bridge and concrete guard rail has been poured and curing on the inside lane. I'd say beginning of August, they should be switching sides and doing it all over again. They're complete with all of the other bridges and all that's left is to remove the temp barrier from the 3rd bridge.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 21, 2018, 05:49:59 PM
The concrete barrier has been replaced just east of the old US 64 bridge and concrete guard rail has been poured and curing on the inside lane. I'd say beginning of August, they should be switching sides and doing it all over again. They're complete with all of the other bridges and all that's left is to remove the temp barrier from the 3rd bridge.

They are starting on the WB outer lane at old 64. The inner lane is very narrow with the other lane being closed.  Traffic was crawling by at around 25 MPH.

Road Hog

The US 64 bridge over the Arkansas River is over the very short distance where the river forms the border between Oklahoma and Arkansas. Who owns the bridge?

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on August 26, 2018, 08:20:21 PM
The US 64 bridge over the Arkansas River is over the very short distance where the river forms the border between Oklahoma and Arkansas. Who owns the bridge?

I'm guessing Arkansas as it's called the J. Fred Patton Bridge. Or maybe the DOTs share maintenance?

robbones

By the looks of it, the project should be done by mid September.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on August 26, 2018, 09:09:18 PM

Have they started pouring concrete yet? Two weeks ago, they were still working on the rebar

robbones

Quote from: US71 on August 26, 2018, 09:38:43 PM

Have they started pouring concrete yet? Two weeks ago, they were still working on the rebar
My estimate is based upon how long it took them to get the inside lane done and the outside lane is moving along faster than the inside.

LGL164VL

robbones

Rebar work is almost done and looking at this week maybe next week they'll be pouring concrete.

LGL164VL

robbones

Quote from: US71 on August 26, 2018, 09:38:43 PM

They started pouring the deck on Thursday. I can't wait to see it done. The slowdowns get quite annoying when people think they have to do 15 to 20 on the bridge.

LGL164VL

robbones

Update on the project, the deck has been poured and cured, currently doing rebar for the outside "guard rail". Idk if it part of the same project or different, but the next to last bridge WB before entering Roland they're replacing the deck joint. Maybe by the end of October (depending on the weather), the project will be completed.

LGL164VL

robbones

Today the outside guard rail was poured and currently curing on the first bridge. Last week they have the inside lane closed on the last bridge before entering Roland. I'm not sure if it's part of the same project or a different one, but they are sand blasting and painting the steel beams. In essence, looking about early to mid November for bot WB US 64 to be open.

LGL164VL

robbones

Update on the project: The first bridge WB is complete and both lanes are open. The last bridge WB is currently getting the bridge joints replaced and hopefully be completed by Thanksgiving.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on November 01, 2018, 08:09:07 AM
Update on the project: The first bridge WB is complete and both lanes are open. The last bridge WB is currently getting the bridge joints replaced and hopefully be completed by Thanksgiving.

I was through there about 10 days ago and it looked like the concrete was curing on the first bridge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.