News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 01:10:37 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 28, 2019, 08:33:25 AM
NCDOT released an updated project suspension list that includes the "tenative" start date for preliminary engineering to resume on suspended projects. Basically, engineering will resume over the next five months in the order that projects are scheduled for construction in the first five years of the STIP. If construction is not funded in the first five years of the STIP, preliminary engineering will resume at an undetermined date.
By the way what does "PE" stand for?
preliminary engineering
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

RoadPelican

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 01:29:02 PM
I'm trying best to not change the topic, but this bridge replacement would be needed and i say make it a 4-lane bridge because people would love going from Greenville to Washington. And guess what? Construction was to begin in 2017 and nothing happened...

There really is no need to widen NC 33, because just north of that is US 264 which is a MORE than adequate 4 lane divided highway that's mostly 60 MPH.

D-Dey65

Does this belong on the Fictional Highways board?

I think US 13 in Eastover should be relocated to Pembroke Lane and the southern terminus should be US 301 again.

sprjus4

Road and bridge redesign on I-40 in Raleigh, N.C., addresses present congestion and future travel needs

Excitement is buzzing in the "City of Oaks"  and its surrounding communities with so much commercial and residential development. However, growth does not come without its challenges, and like many other cities on the rise, sometimes it's on the road where that is most obvious.

One of Raleigh's most high-volume areas of traffic is situated on a stretch of I-40 where it breaks off from the I-440 beltline heading towards the suburbs of Johnston County. Traffic congestion and delays are common in the area, especially in the morning and afternoon rush hours. With steady growth expected to continue in the region, the North Carolina DOT (NCDOT) understood that these conditions would only worsen.

"We knew that we needed to make some changes to get ahead of the curve,"  said Boyd Tharrington, division construction engineer at NCDOT. "Making improvements now will help alleviate some current traffic congestion and prepare us for the road ahead."

As it set out to improve I-40 and plan for the future, the NCDOT understood that it would need to build a solid strategy with an experienced contractor ready to tackle the elements in design, and traffic management that come with a large project.

Building an action plan
In 2018, NCDOT set out on a major widening and redesign effort to improve existing traffic in the heavily traveled area of I-40 and accommodate future growth. The project covers nearly 13 miles of the highway extending from the I-440 divide in Raleigh to two miles east of the busy NC 42 interchange in Johnston County. Originally split into two separate projects–one for widening from I-440 to Swift Creek at the Johnston County line, and another for interchange upgrades at both NC 42 and Cleveland Road–NCDOT found a way to merge them working with S.T. Wooten as the lead contractor.

"We felt that time was of the essence on these initiatives,"  said Tharrington. "By combining various activities within one project, we'll be able to manage progress more efficiently and get certain sections completed faster to benefit the public."

S.T. Wooten Project Manager Matt Davis says everyone involved in the project has been in close contact since the beginning.

"Our project leaders often meet with NCDOT, but we've also taken things up a notch in terms of our internal meetings due to the scope,"  said Davis. "Managers from every division in our company got together to review every step of the project before we started."

As part of its technical proposal, S.T. Wooten's design-build team set an intermediate deadline of December 2021 for the troublesome section from the I-440 split to the U.S. 70 Bypass. The full project will wrap up in the summer of 2022.

Challenge accepted
For the I-40 expansion, S.T. Wooten will add two new lanes in each direction of the highway–extending four-lane sections to eight lanes and six-lane sections to 10 lanes. Work will also involve adding 9.5 in. of asphalt overlay to the existing lanes.

One of the biggest obstacles anticipated with the I-40 job is the traffic volume within the work zone. The project has several hauling and lane closure restrictions that require some operations to be done at night during limited hours. To help manage things, S.T. Wooten established six separate work zones where construction is happening simultaneously in different sections.

"Workflow varies depending on each individual section,"  said Davis. "For example, in one area, we're building the inside lanes first. Then we'll put traffic on the new inside lanes and build the outside lanes. But in other areas we're constructing the outside lanes first, then building the inside."

Having each work zone mapped out, Davis and his team can keep a line of sight on all the work happening and adjust if an unforeseen event occurs.

"Utility or right-of-way issues can sometimes throw a wrench into your plans,"  said Davis. "By understanding how each section fits together, we can communicate better with each other and prioritize work if needed to keep everything running on schedule."

Bridges and diamonds
Along with the lane extensions, S.T. Wooten will manage the construction of 15 bridges along I-40 as part of the design-build project. One notable structure is a new flyover bridge coming from I-440 westbound to I-40 eastbound. The bridge has six spans, four of which have concrete girders.

At the I-40 interchange with N.C. 42, a busy hot spot for traffic, crews will reconstruct the entire interchange, converting it into a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) with dual bridges. This DDI will allow two directions of traffic guided by traffic signals, pavement markings, and concrete barriers to cross over each other at traffic signals to get onto the interstate safely and quickly.

"It's a pretty new concept in North Carolina, but it has proven effective in its ability to let drivers come through an intersection more smoothly,"  said Tharrington. "It may appear a little different for drivers at first, but we expect this update to alleviate some of the traffic congestion that currently exists at the interchange."

This will be the second DDI that S.T. Wooten has worked on, having previously helped build the state's second-ever DDI to help alleviate some traffic congestion near the coast of North Carolina.

Crossing T's on traffic management
With up to 100,000 cars expected to pass through the I-40 project each day, NCDOT and S.T. Wooten are applying a variety of techniques to ensure safety and efficiency. Intermittent speed limit reductions will be used in portions of the work zone where crews may be working. The speed limit will be reduced to 65 mph in these areas, indicated by electronic-display speed limit signs. Additionally, S.T. Wooten will be installing construction entrances and warning systems from the median to improve construction traffic flow.

"We're taking a lot of precautions to secure the work zone for travelers and construction crews,"  said Tharrington. "We want to keep traffic flowing smoothly through the work zone and also make sure that everyone stays safe."

During the proposal and bid phase, S.T. Wooten proposed using a smart work zone system to help monitor traffic flow and divert motorists when there are heavy traffic backups or accidents. This system utilizes a series of sensors and message boards strategically placed throughout the area to more accurately detect travel times and provide alternative routes for drivers, if needed. Should an emergency arise, signs are in place onsite to help direct motorists through the alternate routes. Details on traffic issues and conditions are also routed to the NCDOT Statewide Operations Center where they can be distributed and shared with the public.

The Long (or short) haul
Amid all the hustle and bustle, S.T. Wooten has a few tricks up its sleeve to increase efficiency when it comes time for delivery of materials. For one, most of the hauling and lane closures will take place at night to avoid run-ins with heavy traffic. Crews are also taking some unique measures with equipment to avoid hauling major loads on the highway.

"We constructed a temporary access ramp that will run from a closed highway bridge right down into the median,"  said Davis. "Paired with this, we've installed a new asphalt plant right beside the project in the town of Garner. We'll also be using a materials conveyer that will allow us to bypass traffic and deliver asphalt and stone directly to the site from our plant."

The temporary access ramp will ultimately save 34,500 loads from being hauled in traffic, and the conveyor is expected to keep an additional 7,600 loads off the road. Temporary access ramps will also be utilized to gain access to the outside areas.

Today and looking ahead
When the I-40 project kicked off, there were several delays attributed to bad weather and cold temperatures. However, getting an early start on planning and pre-paving activities has helped teams stay on schedule.

"Working with NCDOT, we've been able lot get a lot of non-jurisdictional work done as we await some final working permits,"  said Davis. "Clearing the median and completing grading work first puts us in a good position to activate quickly as the new year begins."

If you drove through the job right now, you would see that crews have completed asphalt overlay throughout the entire project. The entire portable barrier wall has been installed as well. Looking to springtime of this year, the team hopes to begin making major headway on paving and have two to three bridges completed.

By the time all is said and done, the I-40 job will include more than 250 construction crew members working alongside those of the 20+ subcontractors on the project. "Development is the name of the game right now in Raleigh,"  said Tharrington. "This project will be a team effort for everyone until we see the finish line, but it's one we can all be proud of for the positive impact it has for the community.

tjcreasy

I am surprised I-40 southeast of Raleigh wasn't widened with HOT lanes in today's climate.

sprjus4

Quote from: tjcreasy on December 30, 2019, 02:25:36 PM
I am surprised I-40 southeast of Raleigh wasn't widened with HOT lanes in today's climate.
I-85 was the same way, 45 miles expanded northwest of Charlotte from 4 to 8 lanes between 1999 and 2019, without HO/T lanes, notably the most recent projects still utilizing general purpose lanes.

I-485 is currently getting one HO/T lane added in each direction between I-485 and US-77. The 8 mile segment between I-485 and Rea Road already has 3 general purpose lanes, and the remainder 9 mile segment to US-77 only has 2 general purpose lanes. Along with adding the one HO/T lane, this project will extend the 3rd general purpose lane each way between Rea Road and NC-16, a distance of about 3 miles. That would leave 11 miles with 3 general purpose lanes and 1 HO/T lane each way, and 6 miles with 2 general purpose lanes and 1 HO/T lane each way.

An extensive 76 mile long network of HO/T lanes was recently studied in Raleigh, providing 2 HO/T lanes each way along I-40 between I-85 and I-87, along I-87 between I-40 and I-540, and along I-540 between I-40 and I-87. I-40 south of I-87 was not included within the network proposal. Besides that feasibility study, nothing has come about with this proposal, though as the area grows further, traffic gets worse, and roads keep getting widened out, it may become a future solution to growing urban congestion.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: tjcreasy on December 30, 2019, 02:25:36 PM

NCDOT employees would have had to pay tolls to get to their offices near the 40/440 interchange.

tolbs17

tjcreasy

A majority of them do live in Jo Co. You have a great point. Otherwise the characteristics between I-77 prior to the addition of HOT lanes and that specific section of I-40 are similar.

tolbs17

I'm not sure who's aware of this, but this road does not cross the bypass.

tolbs17

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-2250_Feasibility-Study_Report_1987.pdf

Can this possibly still be built? I'm assuming it's the first part of the 'Southwest Bypass', but I'm sure this is a no-go. Haha

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 09:26:21 PM
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-2250_Feasibility-Study_Report_1987.pdf

Can this possibly still be built? I'm assuming it's the first part of the 'Southwest Bypass', but I'm sure this is a no-go. Haha
It was already built. It opened on November 21, 2019.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 09:29:27 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 09:26:21 PM

It was already built. It opened on November 21, 2019.
Look at the map and you can see how much smaller it was compared to what it is now.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 09:34:48 PM
Look at the map and you can see how much smaller it was compared to what it is now.
It's still the same project, it was just expanded out. They aren't going to build -another- freeway parallel to it using that exact path. It's pointless.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 09:48:23 PM
It's still the same project, it was just expanded out. They aren't going to build -another- freeway parallel to it using that exact path. It's pointless.
Yeah. And now this is the east-west study of Greenville's horrible traffic.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/FS-1002B_Feasibility-Study_Report_2016.pdf

If I could send this in PMs, I wouldn't of put it here, as I have a lot more projects that I have questions about too.

Do you think any part of this project is good or do you see some errors that we could possibly fix? It's like the biggest highway project in Greenville.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 10:01:14 PM

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/FS-1002B_Feasibility-Study_Report_2016.pdf

If I could send this in PMs, I wouldn't of put it here, as I have a lot more projects that I have questions about too.

Do you think any part of this project is good or do you see some errors that we could possibly fix? It's like the biggest highway project in Greenville.
The overall idea is good, widen the arterial to 6 or 8 lanes. Reasonably, a 6-lane freeway loop along that corridor would relieve traffic significantly, though the area is too heavily developed to build one, and while you could build one further out, it would be too far out to actually serve local traffic needs.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 10:01:14 PM

The overall idea is good, widen the arterial to 6 or 8 lanes. Reasonably, a 6-lane freeway loop along that corridor would relieve traffic significantly, though the area is too heavily developed to build one, and while you could build one further out, it would be too far out to actually serve local traffic needs.
Maybe something similar to Independence Blvd could work if not a full freeway?

tolbs17

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Documents/U-5932-public-meeting-map.pdf

When looking at the project if they are making this a freeway then why isn't a 46 foot median being used? Everything is fine except for the median size.

EDIT: It's because it's being built as an expressway design and not a freeway. I found out why, that's kind of odd unless they are building a northern bypass that's above it (where the proposed I-74 is going to be).

And all of those relocations too, haha.

tolbs17

On westbound I-540, there's a quick lane drop at US-1. When will they fix that because it was pretty odd!

bob7374

NCDOT has rescheduled the exit number changes along what will become the US 421 Salem Parkway to next week, unless, I guess it rains again:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2020-01-02-business-40-exit-number-sign-changes.aspx

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-03-sampson-county-contract-awarded.aspx

Quote​CLINTON — State transportation officials recently have awarded a contract to build a section of a southeastern North Carolina highway on a new location in Sampson County.

A $24.5-million contract was awarded to Barnhill Contracting Company to replace two bridges that will take U.S. 421/ 701 (Faircloth Freeway) traffic over N.C. 24 (Sunset Avenue) and improve a 1.8-mile stretch of U.S. 421 (Faircloth Freeway) between the U.S. 421/ 701 interchange and east of Cecil Odie Road. The project also includes an interchange to connect U.S. 421 to the new section of roadway south of Clinton.

The improvements are a part of a larger plan to expand N.C. 24 and link it with Interstate 40. Work can begin as early as the end of January, with construction, except planting, expected to be complete in November 2022.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

over here, wouldn't the parclo a4 interchange still be good here? that was an option at one time and it got changed to a regular diamond.

NJRoadfan

NCDOT continues to add exit numbers on freeway bypasses. US-1 in Southern Pines has at least one exit number for NC-2/Midland Rd. interchange (I wasn't south of there). It is now Exit 42. Odd they didn't do this the last time the US Open was in town. No exit numbers on the Vass-Cameron bypass to the north yet.

tjcreasy

This trend will continue nationwide due to the anticipated guidance in the yet to be released new MUTCD manual. Exit numbers and mile markers make highways safer by providing a point of reference for distressed motorists, and accidents.

wdcrft63

Work is beginning on a project to extend the life of the US 64 bridges over Jordan Lake between Raleigh and Pittsboro. Through September 1 traffic may be limited to one lane in each direction. These bridges are 49 years old.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-13-us-64-jordan-lake-bridge-preservation-work.aspx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.