News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Grumpy Cat 2012-2019

Started by PHLBOS, May 17, 2019, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Grumpy Cat, beloved meme star, dies at age 7: 'Some days are grumpier than others'

Quote from: USA Today articleGrumpy died Tuesday morning from complications related to a urinary tract infection, the cat's publicist said. She was 7 years old.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ClassicHasClass

That's okay. My 14-year-old fleabag is grumpier than that.

thspfc

Grumpy Cat will live on in spirit on bad meme pages on the Internet. RIP.

hbelkins

Needless to say, I'm sad. My spirit animal is no longer with us.

Interesting veterinary facts: At age 7, a feline is considered to be geriatric. Cats are also very susceptible to UTIs and kidney issues. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Grumpy's UTI caused kidney issues that proved fatal. We lost a seven-year-old cat several years ago to unexplained kidney failure. Grumpy had feline dwarfism, which causes its own set of health issues.

Interesting Grumpy Cat facts: Grumpy Cat was a female. Her real name was Tardar Sauce, frequently shortened to Tard. She got that name because her owner works at Red Lobster and the name is tartar sauce misspelled. The owner's brother from Ohio was visiting his sister in Arizona and saw the cat with the perpetual frown, posted a photo on Reddit and a video on YouTube after people said the frown was photoshopped, and the Internet sensation was born. She has a black-and-white brother named Pokey who also has feline dwarfism and has a scowling face. Pokey is actually the grumpy one; Tard had a pleasant demeanor -- to the point that Lil Bub, another famous female cat, got along with Grumpy when Bub really doesn't like other felines. My wife got to pet and hold Grumpy at the Cat Vid Fest at the Minnesota State Fair back in 2013.

I made a memorial Grumpy Cat meme yesterday and posted it on Facebook. "My first life was awful, not sure I can stand eight more."

The Bundesens are set for life. I'm sure they'll continue to produce Grumpy Cat merchandise, and of course the unofficial memes will continue. I'm often frustrated by the fact that for as many cats as we've had over the years, we've never been able to cash in the way the Bundesens did with Grumpy Cat.

RIP Tardar Sauce.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2019, 01:33:02 PM
Interesting veterinary facts: At age 7, a feline is considered to be geriatric.

That's younger than I would imagine it to be, considering it's about half the lifespan of a typical domestic cat, we usually don't consider ourselves to be senior around halfway through our lives...But to be fair cats are entirely different animals. With that said, I would hope that doesn't mean my cat is that close to death, she's four and a half right now. Never had any health issues before, (other than being sick for a week about a year and a half ago, she recovered on her own) and is also an indoor/outdoor cat, cats that spend time outdoors will typically have reduced lifespans. I'd rather she spend time outdoors though, because that's what she wants to do and I'd rather she enjoy herself and live shorter than be cooped up inside and miserable while having a long life.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2019, 01:33:02 PM
At age 7, a feline is considered to be geriatric.

My indoor cat made it to 19 and a half. No real slowdown until he hit 16. After then, he had increasing trouble jumping to his usual perches on top of the kitchen cabinets, or in my bathroom window where he could watch the local squirrels and birds, and wait for me to come home.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ClassicHasClass

QuoteInteresting veterinary facts: At age 7, a feline is considered to be geriatric.

My DVM father disputes this. He wouldn't consider a cat old under 10, and generally puts geriatric around 15. The wretched beast here has about a 16-18 year average lifespan for her breed. Our big white thing died at 19 but he was doing very well until a few months before.

jeffandnicole

7 may be old for an outside cat, but not one mainly indoors.

We had 4 cats. One lived till 20, 2 till 19 including one with diabetes, and one till 16.

jakeroot

This bit is ultimately what I'll remember most about Grumpy Cat...

https://youtu.be/BW8Aleq2Hn0

LM117

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 18, 2019, 07:00:29 PM
I lived till 20

So, what caused your death 24 years ago?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Regarding the "geriatric at 7" deal, this has been the standard used by every vet we've ever taken our critters to. Test parameters are different once a cat reaches 7. I questioned it myself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LM117 on May 18, 2019, 07:46:42 PM
I lived till 20

Android's autocorrect is quite interesting. I modified that post. I typed "1". It wanted to autocorrect to I, The and something else. 1 wasn't even an option!

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 18, 2019, 11:33:37 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 18, 2019, 07:46:42 PM
I lived till 20

Android's autocorrect is quite interesting. I modified that post. I typed "1". It wanted to autocorrect to I, The and something else. 1 wasn't even an option!
Grumpy Cat was grumpy because autocorrect kept ruining his texts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.