Does anyone like their driver's license photo?

Started by Throckmorton, May 20, 2019, 08:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throckmorton

My renewed driver's license came in today's mail. I thought the picture on the previous license was bad but the latest one takes the cake. This is not the guy I see in the mirror.   

It's that damned electronic flash. Fucking thing makes the subject look like a cardboard cutout.   

This license is supposed to be REAL ID compliant. It wouldn't surprise me if, after the deadline, I couldn't board a commercial flight because I don't look like the picture.   

The example licenses shown on the DOR's website feature great photos of nice looking people that were no doubt taken in a studio with proper lighting and then superimposed on the mock-up. There should be a disclaimer: WARNING - Your actual driver's license photo will make you look like a corpse that was fished out of the river after three days. In fact, the corpse would probably look better.   

Proceed with caution

jon daly

I wore a tie for my most recent photo. The DMV zoomed in too close for it to show.

index

Nope, not at all. Mine makes me look like I don't have a neck...My head just looks like it's fused to my torso.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

oscar

My DL photo is reasonably good, but my passport photo is better. I went to some trouble to optimize both, including wearing makeup (the only times I've ever done that), and also a suit and tie (usually just for funerals/memorial services, and legal conventions I occasionally attend even though I'm retired).

My DL is up for renewal later this year, we'll see if my DMV requires a new photo for a Real ID-compliant DL. My passport is good for a few more years, but I'll need to submit an updated photo for that. For one thing, no eyeglasses, which I'm wearing in my current passport photo (but people won't recognize me without them!). Also, I was amused by the new "no selfies" rule for passport photos.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Throckmorton on May 20, 2019, 08:05:54 PM

My renewed driver's license came in today's mail. I thought the picture on the previous license was bad but the latest one takes the cake. This is not the guy I see in the mirror.   

It's that damned electronic flash. Fucking thing makes the subject look like a cardboard cutout.   

This license is supposed to be REAL ID compliant. It wouldn't surprise me if, after the deadline, I couldn't board a commercial flight because I don't look like the picture.   

The example licenses shown on the DOR's website feature great photos of nice looking people that were no doubt taken in a studio with proper lighting and then superimposed on the mock-up. There should be a disclaimer: WARNING - Your actual driver's license photo will make you look like a corpse that was fished out of the river after three days. In fact, the corpse would probably look better.   

If women can change their hair on a monthly basis without a problem, you'll be fine with a bad photo getting on a plane!

CtrlAltDel

My previous driver's license picture was actually pretty nice. I looked well-groomed and a little bit suave.

But my current picture–and I am not exaggerating here–the worst portrait ever taken. It is truly awful. People at the TSA have pointed it out, on more than one occasion. I look like I was having the worst day of my life and then got dragged through the mud. To top it off, there's a weird bit of hair sticking out the side of head. I have no idea how this picture came out like it did. I was actually feeling pretty good that day.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Mine serves its purpose and that is all I care about.

My passports have actually gone from me being in a suit to now looking like some low level thug from The Sopranos.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

One of my previous license photos was slightly squashed vertically and washed out, making me look like Bunsen Honeydew from The Muppet Show.

kphoger

My DL photo is just fine.  No complaints.

Oh, hey, look, it expires next year.  Better remember that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

I like my new one. Until this year, my photo was the same one from when I was 20. I look quite different now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

gonealookin

It serves as a good reminder of how terrible I look when I allow myself to put on that much weight.  I look like there's cotton stuffed in the corners of my mouth, just horrible.

The look certainly isn't helped by the DMV-office lighting.  My passport photo was taken around then, the lighting is dim enough that I'm almost surprised the State Department accepted it, but aside from the deer-in-the-headlights look that one isn't quite so bad.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: gonealookin on May 21, 2019, 03:02:53 PM
My passport photo was taken around then, the lighting is dim enough that I'm almost surprised the State Department accepted it, but aside from the deer-in-the-headlights look that one isn't quite so bad.

The good news with passport photos is that you can have them retaken if you don't like them, and because the first set I had taken for my most recent passport was almost as bad as my driver's license, I was happy to pay another ten bucks to do so.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.