News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual or unique radio station nicknames

Started by golden eagle, June 18, 2019, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

We've all heard radio stations with overused brand names like Mix, Kiss, Hot, Rock or Star. Then there's also Z, Q and B. I don't know if it's still around, but I heard a station in Illinois called the Ox. There's also the Tiger in Baton Rouge (paying homage to the hometown LSU Tigers) and a station named Candy in College Station, TX.

Also, are there radio stations that don't use overused slogans like "the #1 hit music station"  or "Today's best music" ?

Kniwt

I submit "105.7 Man Up!", WVBZ in the Triad region (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) of North Carolina. It's apparently one of the newer formats that iHeart Radio is trying. When I happened across it on the dial, I was sure it was one of those parody "joke" formats. But no. Toxic masculinity for the masses!

https://1057manup.iheart.com/

kevinb1994

Quote from: Kniwt on June 19, 2019, 12:17:27 AM
I submit "105.7 Man Up!", WVBZ in the Triad region (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) of North Carolina. It's apparently one of the newer formats that iHeart Radio is trying. When I happened across it on the dial, I was sure it was one of those parody "joke" formats. But no. Toxic masculinity for the masses!

Oh god, seriously? Screw iHeartRadio and its parent company for even trying that format.

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 18, 2019, 11:42:57 PM
We've all heard radio stations with overused brand names like Mix, Kiss, Hot, Rock or Star. Then there's also Z, Q and B. I don't know if it's still around, but I heard a station in Illinois called the Ox. There's also the Tiger in Baton Rouge (paying homage to the hometown LSU Tigers) and a station named Candy in College Station, TX.

Also, are there radio stations that don't use overused slogans like "the #1 hit music station"  or "Today's best music" ?
What about "The Hawk" ?

jp the roadgeek

102-9 The Whale (WDRC) in Hartford.  Pays homage to the former NHL team, and even incorporates their colors in their logo.

You also have 100.7 The Bay in Baltimore (Westminster), and you used to have 103-7 The Shark in Atlantic City.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ce929wax

We have 92.5 The Zoo (WZUU) here in Kalamazoo.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quite a few stations in the rural north are The Bear/Wolf/Moose/Fox
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 19, 2019, 02:03:49 AM

Oh god, seriously? Screw iHeartRadio and its parent company for even trying that format.

I'm surprised this type of radio marketing hadn't happened sooner. I'm guessing that the Rock / Classic Rock format audience is probably 75% male. Probably hosted by some morning show that focuses on which brand of light beer you drank last night and how many drunken phone calls ensued, followed by new stories about how someone lost their testicles while playing with knives.

Let's face it, the other end of the spectrum is the Adult Contemporary audience, where the prime listeners are likely 90% female, if the lyrics, playlist, "radio personalities", and advertising are anything to go by.

KEVIN_224

Stations like "Frank FM" in Lewiston, ME (WFNK-FM 107.5) which is targeted for Portland or "95-7 BEN-FM" (WBEN-FM 95.7) in Philadelphia? Philly also used to have "Wired 96.5" a few years ago. Providence, RI has WPRO-FM 92.3, a.k.a. "92 PRO-FM", a long running CHR/Top 40 station.

kevinb1994

Quote from: formulanone on June 19, 2019, 07:57:09 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 19, 2019, 02:03:49 AM

I'm surprised this type of radio marketing hadn't happened sooner. I'm guessing that the Rock / Classic Rock format audience is probably 75% male. Probably hosted by some morning show that focuses on which brand of light beer you drank last night and how many drunken phone calls ensued, followed by new stories about how someone lost their testicles while playing with knives.

Let's face it, the other end of the spectrum is the Adult Contemporary audience, where the prime listeners are likely 90% female, if the lyrics, playlist, "radio personalities", and advertising are anything to go by.
I wouldn't be that surprised, iHeartRadio and its parent company had it coming to them, which is why they declared bankruptcy protection early last year.

tdindy88

I know there's a hip-hop station in Atlanta that calls itself "The People's Station." I know there was a similar station in Washington DC that used that same moniker in the past as well. Sounds unique to me.

ftballfan

92.1 the Twister in Houghton Lake, MI (incidentally, its sister station is 98.5 UPS)

Henry

I remember when WLIT 93.9 called themselves "The Lite", as opposed to "Lite FM" (which, incidentally, is their nickname now).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

When I was growing up, 99.5-FM here in the DC area had an "easy listening"  format and the call letters WGAY. The combination of those call letters with that style of music led to all sorts of jokes that were quite commonplace in that era but nowadays would be considered (by most people, anyway) extremely tasteless. 

Back in the early 1990s, 95.1-FM in Charlottesville was "Heat 95."  Then they suddenly changed it to "Z-95"  without changing their format or call letters or anything else. Supposedly the FCC had some objection to "Heat-95,"  but I never found out what.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

golden eagle

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 19, 2019, 09:08:55 AM
I know there's a hip-hop station in Atlanta that calls itself "The People's Station." I know there was a similar station in Washington DC that used that same moniker in the past as well. Sounds unique to me.

Likely V103 in Atlanta. A lot of hip-hop stations tend to use that moniker. Either that or "blazin' hip-hop and R&B" .

inkyatari

Turn your crank to Frank!

BROOKS AND DUNN!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

golden eagle

Quote from: inkyatari on June 19, 2019, 02:35:00 PM

BROOKS AND DUNN!

There was a former country station in San Diego called Bob. Their slogan was "turn your knob to Bob!"

vdeane

The Capital District has Fly 92 (WFLY) and Rochester has Warm 101.3 (WRMM).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on June 19, 2019, 10:24:09 AM
92.1 the Twister in Houghton Lake, MI (incidentally, its sister station is 98.5 UPS)
Gotta love 98.5's blowtorch signal. You can listen to that station from Saginaw to the Mighty Mac.

Big John

Quote from: ce929wax on June 19, 2019, 03:59:09 AM
Same call letters and nickname used to be in Milwaukee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8k3r8Wthi4

zzcarp

In Denver we have 99.5 The Mountain that plays classic rock. We also have Orange and Blue radio 760 which is a Denver Broncos station.
So many miles and so many roads

Henry

Quote from: vdeane on June 19, 2019, 08:31:35 PM
The Capital District has Fly 92 (WFLY) and Rochester has Warm 101.3 (WRMM).
Actually, Warm is not exclusive to Rochester, because it is also used on 98.5 in Cincinnati and 106.9 in Seattle (Delilah's flagship station).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

inkyatari

Quote from: golden eagle on June 19, 2019, 06:12:12 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on June 19, 2019, 02:35:00 PM

BROOKS AND DUNN!

There was a former country station in San Diego called Bob. Their slogan was "turn your knob to Bob!"

The MST3K bit came out just after that happened.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Big John on June 19, 2019, 11:21:42 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on June 19, 2019, 03:59:09 AM
Same call letters and nickname used to be in Milwaukee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8k3r8Wthi4

WJMN-FM 94.5 of Boston is currently Hip-Hop "Jam'n 94.5", owned by I-Heart Media. It was once WZOU-FM until either the early or mid-1990s.

roadman65

I would like to see someday a radio station called  The Bitch or Bitch 100 or something.  It was inspired by this girl I knew who was a proud bitch in her own words.  Now that words like Asswipe and Pissed Off can be said on airwaves I am sure it would be allowed.  Heck the FCC only cares about the call letters being announced every top of the hour, not nicknmes.

Is Magic 107 one?  I never heard Magic used before.  Magic 107 is a station in Orlando that once played light rock first starting with the Barry Manilow, Barbara Streisand, and Neil Diamond kick before moving on to just top 40  light rock fro heavier sounding music in the mid 90's when the demographics changed.  Now they are a top 40 radio station like many others (only in December they preempt their programming for Christmas Music) with songs from Christina Augulera and even some R & B with a harder sound as demographics changed again this past decades.  However Magic still remains as the nickname though it went from Magic 107.7 to Magic 107.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.