News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unusual or unique radio station nicknames

Started by golden eagle, June 18, 2019, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 19, 2019, 02:04:40 AM
What about "The Hawk" ?
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 19, 2019, 04:56:43 AM
Quite a few stations in the rural north are The Bear/Wolf/Moose/Fox

Branding a station–typically classic or "hard"  rock–after a wild or ferocious animal is very common. It's common enough that when I attended a Sklar Brothers standup act once, they did a routine about this. They asked "Do you have a rock station in town named after an animal?"  This was near the Lehigh Valley, and sure enough, there's "99.9 - The Hawk" . The Sklars proceeded to do an absurd impression the growling, guttural ID voiceovers that these stations seem to have.

Quote from: roadman65 on June 21, 2019, 09:14:33 AM
Is Magic 107 one?

I've encountered plenty of stations around the country branded "Magic" . They're almost always along the same lines as "Star" –generally of the "more soft rock and less talk"  variety. The Magic name is also used by a network of similar adult contemporary stations in England.

- - -

WPSH, the student radio station at Penn State Harrisburg–which is located practically within sight distance of Three Mile Island–went by the name "The Reactor" .

frankenroad

Quote from: Henry on June 20, 2019, 09:49:09 AM
Quote from: vdeane on June 19, 2019, 08:31:35 PM
The Capital District has Fly 92 (WFLY) and Rochester has Warm 101.3 (WRMM).
Actually, Warm is not exclusive to Rochester, because it is also used on 98.5 in Cincinnati and 106.9 in Seattle (Delilah's flagship station).

Cincinnati's Warm 98 is WRRM.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rushmeister

WNAP 93.1, Indianapolis, aka "The Buzzard"

"The Buzzard Rocks Indy!" and "The Wrath of the Buzzard".  Haven't heard those words or the inimitable Adam Smasher in a long, long time.  I miss the glory days of Radio Wars in Indy.  Anyone remember Radio Free Naptown?  We had no idea how good we had it back then.  (sigh)
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

kevinb1994

I would like to see someday a radio station called  The Bitch or Bitch 100 or something.  It was inspired by this girl I knew who was a proud bitch in her own words.  Now that words like Asswipe and Pissed Off can be said on airwaves I am sure it would be allowed.  Heck the FCC only cares about the call letters being announced every top of the hour, not nicknmes.

Is Magic 107 one?  I never heard Magic used before.  Magic 107 is a station in Orlando that once played light rock first starting with the Barry Manilow, Barbara Streisand, and Neil Diamond kick before moving on to just top 40  light rock fro heavier sounding music in the mid 90's when the demographics changed.  Now they are a top 40 radio station like many others (only in December they preempt their programming for Christmas Music) with songs from Christina Augulera and even some R & B with a harder sound as demographics changed again this past decades.  However Magic still remains as the nickname though it went from Magic 107.7 to Magic 107.
Magic 98.3 in NJ

kevinb1994

Quote from: briantroutman on June 21, 2019, 10:05:01 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 19, 2019, 02:04:40 AM
What about "The Hawk" ?
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 19, 2019, 04:56:43 AM
Quite a few stations in the rural north are The Bear/Wolf/Moose/Fox

Branding a station–typically classic or "hard"  rock–after a wild or ferocious animal is very common. It's common enough that when I attended a Sklar Brothers standup act once, they did a routine about this. They asked "Do you have a rock station in town named after an animal?"  This was near the Lehigh Valley, and sure enough, there's "99.9 - The Hawk" . The Sklars proceeded to do an absurd impression the growling, guttural ID voiceovers that these stations seem to have.

Is Magic 107 one?

I've encountered plenty of stations around the country branded "Magic" . They're almost always along the same lines as "Star" –generally of the "more soft rock and less talk"  variety. The Magic name is also used by a network of similar adult contemporary stations in England.

- - -

WPSH, the student radio station at Penn State Harrisburg–which is located practically within sight distance of Three Mile Island–went by the name "The Reactor" .
I do recall the other Hawk stations, 105.7 and 94.5/97.5.

Roadwarriors79

There was a radio station called Loop 101 back in the late 1990s/early 2000s in the Phoenix area. It was on 101.1 FM, call letters were KESP, then KAZL.

WWMJ (95.7 FM) serves the Bangor area in Maine. It's known as I-95 on-air. Their slogan is "I-95 rocks"

http://www.i95rocks.com/

Big John

WIAL in Eau Claire, WI goes by I-94 as the interstate passes by Eau Claire and the frequency is 94.1

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

What's even rarer than really dumb station names is the ones that use the fraction ½. The old WLAP-FM in Lexington used to be called Power 94½.

OracleUsr

WXRC (95.7 in Charlotte) is called the RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE (yes, it's actually pronounced that way).   Plays a lot of deep cut songs.

I got sick of 105.7 (I live in Statesville, so I can pick both stations up quite well).  They started out playing songs a lot of other stations don't play, but now it's all the same songs other stations play.  And I about planted a permanent signal scrambler to the building when they kept teasing that opening riff to Shinedown's Sound of Madness and started a commercial.  And the MAYEEEEUNNNN jokes are getting old.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

kevinb1994

Quote from: OracleUsr on June 22, 2019, 12:36:14 AM
WXRC (95.7 in Charlotte) is called the RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE (yes, it's actually pronounced that way).   Plays a lot of deep cut songs.

I got sick of 105.7 (I live in Statesville, so I can pick both stations up quite well).  They started out playing songs a lot of other stations don't play, but now it's all the same songs other stations play.  And I about planted a permanent signal scrambler to the building when they kept teasing that opening riff to Shinedown's Sound of Madness and started a commercial.  And the MAYEEEEUNNNN jokes are getting old.
Oh god, that's extremely tacky.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on June 21, 2019, 11:15:40 PM
WWMJ (95.7 FM) serves the Bangor area in Maine. It's known as I-95 on-air. Their slogan is "I-95 rocks"

There's also another i95.  Classic rock station WRKI in Brookfield (Danbury), CT has billed itself as i95 since 1976.  The website is very close.

https://i95rock.com/

I also remember a US 1 as a kid in the Florida Keys. Classic hits WWUS was on 104.7, but has since moved to 104.1. 

http://us1radio.com/
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kevinb1994

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 22, 2019, 03:19:17 AM

There's also another i95.  Classic rock station WRKI in Brookfield (Danbury), CT has billed itself as i95 since 1976.  The website is very close.

I also remember a US 1 as a kid in the Florida Keys. Classic hits WWUS was on 104.7, but has since moved to 104.1. 

I-95 radio also exists in Savannah GA.

Flint1979

WIOG in the Flint/Tri-Cities area of Michigan is WIOG because it use to be 106.3 so the IOG meant 106.

golden eagle

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 22, 2019, 03:19:17 AM

There used to be an I-95 in Birmingham.

hbelkins

Some of them are a stretch. One local AM station in my area opened an FM licensee and got the call letters WCYO, and it promptly dubbed itself "The Coyote." Yep, a country station.

There are a lot of "The Bull" stations around but only Lexington's 98.1 FM, WBUL, got call letters to match.

Quote from: Kniwt on June 19, 2019, 12:17:27 AM
I submit "105.7 Man Up!", WVBZ in the Triad region (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) of North Carolina. It's apparently one of the newer formats that iHeart Radio is trying. When I happened across it on the dial, I was sure it was one of those parody "joke" formats. But no. Toxic masculinity for the masses!

https://1057manup.iheart.com/

So, what's so toxically masculine (I dispute the whole concept of "toxic masculinity," BTW, which probably surprises no one here) about it? Their playlist looked like a mixture of 90s alternative (Bush, The Offspring) and classic 70s (Boston.) Do the DJs tell flatulence jokes between songs?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

The Big Wazoo (WAZU) started out as a hard rock/metal station in Dayton, Ohio in the '80s then moved 100 miles away to Circleville, Ohio in the '90s as a metal-only station before going nu-metal/alternative and disappearing in the 2000s.

ce929wax

Quote from: zzcarp on June 20, 2019, 12:20:24 AM
In Denver we have 99.5 The Mountain that plays classic rock. We also have Orange and Blue radio 760 which is a Denver Broncos station.

Wasn't there a radio station in Colorado Springs once that had the call letters KOCK?  I remember seeing a t-shirt from that station with the slogan "rock out with your KOCK out." 

kevinb1994

Quote from: ce929wax on June 23, 2019, 11:36:14 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on June 20, 2019, 12:20:24 AM
In Denver we have 99.5 The Mountain that plays classic rock. We also have Orange and Blue radio 760 which is a Denver Broncos station.

Wasn't there a radio station in Colorado Springs once that had the call letters KOCK?  I remember seeing a t-shirt from that station with the slogan "rock out with your KOCK out."
That must've been quite the absurd sight!

Big John

roadman65

The Gator in West Palm Beach!  I do not think any other station uses that one unless the University of Florida has one in Gainesville.   They still play classic rock and still strong!. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

renegade

I'll just leave this here:

www.959thepowercow.com

Looks like bull to me!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

bandit957

Anyone in Cincinnati remember Killer Q?

kevinb1994

kevinb1994

Quote from: bandit957 on June 25, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
Anyone in Cincinnati remember Killer Q?
Sounds like that one came about with the help of a certain British band from the 70s and 80s. Can't say I know the details of the station's history, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.