News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual or unique radio station nicknames

Started by golden eagle, June 18, 2019, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: renegade on June 25, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
I'll just leave this here:

www.959thepowercow.com

Looks like bull to me!
That one should be based from here, as the former name of our city was Cowford.

bandit957

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 25, 2019, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 25, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
Anyone in Cincinnati remember Killer Q?
Sounds like that one came about with the help of a certain British band from the 70s and 80s. Can't say I know the details of the station's history, though.

Briefly in the early '90s, Q-102 just decided to stop calling themselves Q-102 and call themselves Killer Q instead.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on June 24, 2019, 11:38:18 PM
The Gator in West Palm Beach!  I do not think any other station uses that one unless the University of Florida has one in Gainesville.   They still play classic rock and still strong!.
Yes, G-ville has it, but that one has been a new country music station since October 2010 (although before then, it had been known as Rock 104 since 1983, playing AOR aka album-oriented rock, and before that, it was briefly a Top 40 style hit radio station from 1981 to 1983, much to the disfavor of many of the important powers at UF; before 1981, the station was known for many years, perhaps since its sign-on in 1948, as Stereo 104, except for a late-disco-era Saturday-night music program from 1979 to 1980 called Studio 104).

Paulinator66

One of our local stations has decided to start calling itself "Bob." 

"Bob plays anything from the 80s, 90s or whatever!"  "Bob does this."  "Bob likes that."  And they have 90 minute, commercial free, "Bob-a-thons." 

Their call letters are WCVS so it makes no sense at all. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Paulinator66 on June 25, 2019, 02:44:04 PM
One of our local stations has decided to start calling itself "Bob." 

"Bob plays anything from the 80s, 90s or whatever!"  "Bob does this."  "Bob likes that."  And they have 90 minute, commercial free, "Bob-a-thons." 

Their call letters are WCVS so it makes no sense at all.
Maybe they should start a health-and-wellness-oriented format, given their call sign.

SP Cook

I don't think any of the ones around here are particularly dumb.  A few years ago calling stations by men's names like "Bob" or "Frank" or "Jim" was a thing, but it went out of style.  We also had a guy who called multiple stations "The Planet.

We do still have:

- WDGG "The Dog" (country)
- WBVB "B 97, The Bee" (80s oldies)
- WAMX "The Brew" (southern rock, more or less)
- WQBE, which is, for reasons that escape me, "The Rabbit Station".  Same company owns a similar station in several other places, each with a guy in a country-fied rabbit suit as the mascot.
- WMXE "The Mix" (music for post menopausal women)
- WKAZ "Tailgate Radio" (format free idiocy)

On the AM side, everybody wants to copy NYC's WFAN.  We have WBES "The Sports Fox", WMON "The Jock", WCMI "The Cat" (UK sports).

kevinb1994

Quote from: SP Cook on June 25, 2019, 03:07:06 PM
I don't think any of the ones around here are particularly dumb.  A few years ago calling stations by men's names like "Bob" or "Frank" or "Jim" was a thing, but it went out of style.  We also had a guy who called multiple stations "The Planet.

We do still have:

- WDGG "The Dog" (country)
- WBVB "B 97, The Bee" (80s oldies)
- WAMX "The Brew" (southern rock, more or less)
- WQBE, which is, for reasons that escape me, "The Rabbit Station".  Same company owns a similar station in several other places, each with a guy in a country-fied rabbit suit as the mascot.
- WMXE "The Mix" (music for post menopausal women)
- WKAZ "Tailgate Radio" (format free idiocy)

On the AM side, everybody wants to copy NYC's WFAN.  We have WBES "The Sports Fox", WMON "The Jock", WCMI "The Cat" (UK sports).
Only a matter of time before it won't be cool to copy that station.

EDIT: We've had Planet Radio here since 1995. It was originally at 93.3 FM, but was moved to 107.3 FM after its first ten years (1995-2005). Unfortunately it only lasted five years at its second home (2005-2010). They brought back Planet Radio on W247CF aka 97.3 FM back in 2016, but that only lasted three years (2016-2019) before they moved Planet Radio back to 107.3 FM earlier this year.

roadman65

I remember the Florida Keys had a station called A1A after the road. 
Years ago there was an I95 nickname someplace in Florida as well.

The Coast was another.
Zana 4 in Miami was the Classic Rock Station there in the late 1980's and even into the 90's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: bandit957 on June 25, 2019, 01:58:44 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 25, 2019, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 25, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
Anyone in Cincinnati remember Killer Q?
Sounds like that one came about with the help of a certain British band from the 70s and 80s. Can't say I know the details of the station's history, though.

Briefly in the early '90s, Q-102 just decided to stop calling themselves Q-102 and call themselves Killer Q instead.
In Chicago, there was the Killer Bee, which was what B96 called itself until a few years ago. So one nickname probably inspired the other, which wouldn't be surprising, given that both stations were once owned by CBS/Infinity Radio.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

steviep24

golden eagle

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2019, 11:41:20 AM

The Coast was another.
Zana 4 in Miami was the Classic Rock Station there in the late 1980's and even into the 90's.

There's a station on the east coast of Florida that calls itself A1A.

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 28, 2019, 08:52:49 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2019, 11:41:20 AM

The Coast was another.
There's a station on the east coast of Florida that calls itself A1A.
I was gonna mention that one, it's in Melbourne along the Space Coast.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.