News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps: new state/county road labeling

Started by txstateends, August 03, 2013, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

After looking at the linked example in the "Accidents on Google Maps" thread, I saw something different.  So I looked at more familiar parts of the state (TX), and sometime in the last few days, new square labels have been added for county roads and most (but not quite all) farm-to-market roads.  Then I went looking for the same for Missouri's lettered roads.  Some have the new letter labels, others are trying to cram "State Hwy (letter(s))" into a square but of course, it doesn't hold it all, and the first and last parts are outside the square.  It would be nice on the drop-down menu (top right corner) whether to keep or turn off the county road labels (especially for TX, since now they'll have mixed county and farm-to-market labels the same in the same areas), but I checked, they don't.

I wondered if something was being planned for labeling farm-to-markets, since many of the text labels on the FM's went >poof< in the last several months.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

dgolub

Yes, Google Maps is now labeling county routes in New York and New Jersey as well.  It's about time!

huskeroadgeek

Mentioned this in another thread, but they may be a little overzealous in marking county routes. In Nebraska(haven't noticed yet whether this is true in some other places, but I suspect it might be), they are labeling some county roads that have number and letter names with rectangular markers, implying that these roads are marked with shields. But they are only named with numbers and letters and are only marked on regular street signs-you will not find any pentagon shield or any other kind of shield marker on these routes.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dgolub on August 03, 2013, 11:07:56 AM
Yes, Google Maps is now labeling county routes in New York and New Jersey as well.  It's about time!

In Virginia, they are not using any official-looking shield for the Commonwealth's primary system highways.  For some of the secondary system (looks very inconsistent), they are using a rectangular shield (which is how VDOT usually marks them on their own official maps), but it seems that most of the secondaries are marked with an oval- or "racetrack"-shaped shield. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on August 03, 2013, 11:07:56 AM
Making my life easier today as I try to figure out which pages I have intersect the new county route pages I'm doing.

Duke87

And they seem to have been discriminate enough to not label them in counties that do not sign them. That's more competence than I expected of the Google Maps team.

Of course, a noticeable number of PA's quadrant routes are still on the map with state highway shields, sooo....
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on August 05, 2013, 08:02:53 PM
And they seem to have been discriminate enough to not label them in counties that do not sign them. That's more competence than I expected of the Google Maps team.
Chances are the competence is on the TIGER team.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

I'm happy about Google Maps for the first time in quite a while.

County routes in Ontario have been marked for pretty long, but they disappeared a couple of months ago, and just came back.

The High Plains Traveler

Actually, my local Pueblo County does not mark most of its county road numbers (it uses street names instead), but Google is showing the county designations for all county roads. Most other Colorado counties use either blade signs with ROAD nn or a standalone route marker. It's interesting to me from an academic standpoint what the county designations for these roads are, but they don't aid navigation.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.