News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most Remembered Road You Have Ever Traveled On

Started by un1, January 21, 2009, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIRoadMan

oh boy,i must be a tie between U.S. 131 just south of Cadillac, Mi.  and i-75 south bound all the way to Fl.

corco

Washington SR 20 for its entire length is just an awesome drive.

Other notables- US-16 from Buffalo, Wyo. to Worland, Wyo.
NH 112 (Kancamangus Hwy) from Lincoln to North Conway NH
I also really enjoy the entire length of Ohio SR 41 from Springfield to Bainbridge, probably because my Grandpa used to live off SR 41 so I've got lots of old memories along that road

dislocatedkid

I'm gonna have to go with 2

I-35 North from Cloquet to Duluth...i love comin up over that hill and seeing the city and lake superior suddenly sprawled out below and the abrupt end to a major interstate at a signaled intersection is just unique

and US-169 between Grand Rapids and Virginia, MN just looks like another planet with all the ore piles and whatnot...

paroxysm

Definitely CA-17, between San Jose and Santa Cruz. (In California, duh)  Some of the most beautiful scenery and incredibly rich local history.

americuss

Quote from: rawr apples on January 22, 2009, 03:34:59 PM
I-70 in Kansas

It proved to me that Kansas was nothing like I thought it was
I've never drove through Kansas--came pretty close on I 44 going into Oklamoma.  What did you think it was going to be like and what was it actually like?  A friend of mine drove through there at night through a lighntening storm and talked to me on the phone at the same time.  Said the storm was remarkable.

americuss

Other than I 10, CA 14 the Antelope Valley Freeway and Route 138 going from I 15 to Palmdale are a couple.  It was my first road trip and I had just come from days of travelling on I 10--relatively open and free from traffic except for maybe the cities--El Paso, Tuscon and Phoenix--which weren't that horrible at the time I drove them, but it was mostly relaxing and beautiful.  So I get to SoCal and get off of 10 at San Bernardino where I take rt.138.  I remember it being pretty and not much traffic, lots of up and down dips in the road.  Then I get to Palmdale and have been driving all day.  I'm tired and just want to pull off, but it's about five in the afternoon and I want to drive to Santa Barbara.  I stop at McDonalds and it's really crowded.  I'm pretty frazzled and go have coffee in my car and look at my map.  My map was creased a lot from being folded and the route AAA had mapped for me was outlined in yellow marker and hard to see because of the creasing--made me more frazzled.  Some guy came over to my car to help me and told me that 14 was just down the road and that I would take 14 to I 5 North to Santa Clarita.  I was so relieved because I was pretty burnt out.  So I find the junction for 14 and think piece of cake.  Small town girl that I am, I don't realize that I'm going to be driving just a little north of Los Angeles around rush hour.  I got on that Route 14 and realized I was driving in the Big Leagues.  Oh my frakkin God--I just told myself you can't stop your car and you can't cry.  Might sound silly to well-travelled folks, and I wouldn't feel that way now, but I was a novice and across the whole country had never experienced traffic like that. It was pretty hairy because of my burnt-out state of mind too.  I stayed in Fillmore that night and in Carpinteria for a couple of days.  On the way back it was late morning when I drove 14 and I loved it.  It was pretty and not as busy.   

americuss

I just read the thread for earliest memories and it reminded me of something, but it wasn't from when I was a kid and I don't know where to post it, but it was memorable and I'm pretty sure on U.S.1 and I wish I knew what and where the place was.  It was 1975 and four of us were driving back from Marathon in the Florida Keys.  It had to have been between the end of the keys and Miami.  It was nighttime, and we stopped at this restuarant place that was really weird.  It was a big structure with big square cement columns.  Everything under the structure's roof was open to the outside except for the restuarant, which was in the middle of this big structure and it was enclosed in glass or whatever.  The restrooms were even outside.  There had to have been hundreds of frogs hopping around and it was one of the coolest yet creepy places I can remember.  Anyone know where I'm talking about? 

leifvanderwall

Did the employees and customers all wear togas? Hundreds of frogs, huh. I think someone must of left a case of Budweiser off the highway. I think the highway I remember the most is US 31 from I-94 to Manistee. I was born in Ludington and lived in Grand Haven. US 31 rules, yeah!

Rover_0

What, nobody mentioned UT-12?   :confused:  The drive through Red Canyon alone is worth it.

For me, it would be: 

I-15, between Mesquite and Las Vegas, NV (just a good highway scene)

US-89/91, Sardine Canyon (Brigham City-Logan, UT), especially in the spring/summer

AZ-389/UT-59

I-80/US-30, Rock Springs-Rawlins, WY (Nothing out there--at all!)

US-26/287, Dubois to Moran Jct., WY

US-26/89/191, Moran Jct. to Jackson
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Roadgeekteen

128/I-95 from exits 19 to 28. I almost know that road by heart.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

allniter89

My most remembered hwy is the Alaska Hwy b/c its the Alaska Hwy.My dad was USAF & was assigned to Elmendorf AFB outside of Anchorage, AK from Dover AFB, Dover, DE. This was 1965, at that time it was unpaved except for a few miles north of Dawson Creek, BC. I wish I would've been more into road geekery back then. This was a once in a lifetime roadtrip to document but I was too young to know it :banghead:

A close 2nd choice is US 113 between Dover DE & Georgetown, DE. We lived along US 113 in Little Heaven so virtually anywhere we went we used 113. Many many good memories of this hwy.

Honorable mention goes to DE 896. My ride was in a VW Bug The road had few level areas mainly short little hills  :crazy:continues up & down,  but a short time b4 going downhill, kinda felt like a roller coaster.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

TravelingBethelite

Connecticut's I-84 between Exits 6 and 11. Always feels like home.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hm insulators

Quote from: tankerdave on January 28, 2009, 06:05:47 PM

CA 18 from San Bernardino, CA to Crestline, CA

Been up that road with my family numerous times as a kid! We used to rent cabins up there for family vacations; one of the cabins was in Blue Jay and once we rented a cabin in Crestline in August of 1972 which was the best family vacation ever. (To this day, whenever I hear songs like "Saturday in the Park" or "Guitar Man" or "Alone Again (Naturally)" they take me back to that cabin.) In the summer of 1977, my mom and dad finally bought a little cabin in Cedar Glen. Little did we know that within two years we would be moving to the Hawaiian island of Kauai and we ended up renting the thing out for a few years before selling it. But yep, I've been up that road dozens of times.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Roadsguy

Cottman Avenue/Township Line Road (PA 73) in Northeast Philly. That and the PA 309 expressway south of the Turnpike.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Chris19001

Death Valley Road past Crankshaft Crossing in Death Valley National Park.
I was alone in 100+ degree weather, in a rental car, with not nearly enough water if the car had issues..
It was a beautifully slow drive, but I can clearly remember thinking that if I ever wanted to see the road I'd rather not drag another person into a possible tragedy.

cpzilliacus

I-70 gets a mention above. 

I will suggest that all of it from Kansas City, Kansas to I-15 in Utah is a memorable drive.  Not only for the great distance, but  for the very widely varied scenery, with little in the way of urban and suburban development, except around Topeka and Denver.

Another memorable drive is the combination of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, all the way  from Front Royal, Virginia to Cherokee, North Carolina.  It is a lot less (in terms of distance) than the western segment of I-70, but it takes about as long to drive because of much lower speed limits, especially on Skyline Drive.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Ophir Road in Colorado, back in 2002 or so.

And now I get to take my family on it in June.   :biggrin:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jflick99

For me, my most memorable stretch of road has to be I-35/KT through the Flint Hills. I have a lot of family west of Wichita, so I go through here several times a year. Whenever we go, it's usually a day trip, so by the time we get to the turnpike, the sun is just starting to rise and shine on the hills. I always enjoy seeing the hills glow early in the morning.

If I had to pick one spot (rather than a long stretch), I would pick I-376 coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel into downtown Pittsburgh. It was near twilight and we had a beautiful view of the skyline that amazed both me and my dad. It's been three years since then and I still remember it perfectly. (We continued on 376 for a few more miles and passed under the old Greenfield Bridge. Safe to say that wasn't as pretty of a sight.)

1995hoo

I find this thread confusing because I'm not sure what "most remembered" means. It seems some people are interpreting it as "most familiar," perhaps in the sense of "most driven," while others are interpreting it as "most memorable." To me the latter makes more sense.

With that understanding, I think I'd probably put Nova Scotia's Cabot Trail at the top of my list because it's probably the most scenic road I've ever travelled. Picture from July 2008.

Honorable mention probably goes to the Moki Dugway (picture from September 2015).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

For me it was always the Oatman Highway.  It was one of the first relic US Routes I had ever driven on in my younger years...in this case US 66.  Really the whole road is kind of nutty with all shorts of crazy turns, almost no shoulders, mountain grades, feral animals, and tons of mining history.  I used to take a lot of the people I worked with to Oatman to watch the burros and go over Sitgreaves Pass either in my Mustang, Camaro, or even Challenger as the years passed.  Really there are few highways out in the boons that I've found that were so intimidating but had so much charm to them....really a worthwhile album to check out for any US 66 buff:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUhThXy

37A by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

38 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

39 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

40 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

41 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

42 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

43 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

46 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

47 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

For me, it's MN-200. It's not particularly scenic, but I've driven its length a few times and I just love that it's a singular highway strung together from a number of other former highways, and it runs pretty much nowhere of importance. I mean, Ada (pop 1707) is the largest city on the route, and I guess there's Itasca State Park, but that's also right off US-71. Also of note is that you can follow state highway 200 west through three more states. That's pretty cool and something I would love to do someday.

epzik8

Either my home stretch of Interstate, which is I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, Delaware, or I-95 through North Carolina.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on April 27, 2017, 06:59:26 AM
Either my home stretch of Interstate, which is I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, Delaware, or I-95 through North Carolina.

The North Carolina section of I-95, in particular between Lumberton and Micro, is memorable for being a long section of freeway with plenty of substandard interchanges, not enough lanes and several bridges that are below current standards for overhead clearances.  There's a break in the misery at Fayetteville, but even there it is only two lanes each way.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheHighwayMan3561

The OP (though he no longer participates here) indicated this wasn't supposed to be a generic "favorite road" thread, so in that spirit I'll probably put down MN 100, especially the now-rebuilt section between Excelsior and I-394. I loved the intimate feel of the 1930s-era freeway through St. Louis Park, which while there was no choice but to modernize the section I'll miss that element of the drive.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bzakharin

The NJ Turnpike for so many reasons. The impressive quality and size, the highway advisory radio (announcing the grand re-opening of the new and improved Molly Pitcher Service Area!), the Sunday evening traffic jams between exits 6 and 9 (gone now thank goodness) to name a few.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.