How is Winter treating your roads/highways?

Started by txstateends, March 03, 2014, 10:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

With all the craziness everyone has seen this Winter, what has the weather done to your road/highway conditions?  Already a mess?  Too soon to tell?

There are already potholes around north TX, as well as some water main issues; one street in north Dallas buckled several days ago from a water line problem.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

SD Mapman

Our roads are somewhat beat up anyway. In any case, the only roads that get worse are the ones that are going to soon be replaced. I did have a 40-year old pipe break by my house a couple weeks ago, though.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Thing 342

Some of the roads around the Tidewater area have more craters than the surface of the moon. (I-264 comes to mind)

1995hoo

Lots of potholes. Lots and lots of potholes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

Yeah, this winter has been terrible on our roads.  In addition to some significant potholes, there has been a significant number of heaves caused by frost in the ground this year as well.  The pavement has buckled on a few of Ontario's high-speed roads surrounding integral bridge abutments so badly, that the pavement has needed to be milled down to reduce the bump.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2014, 10:27:12 AM
Lots of potholes. Lots and lots of potholes.

Oh, and there are some places in my town where ice / snow hasn't been cleared yet for who knows what reasons. This ice has been here for like 2 weeks now. Luckily it started melting when it got warmer out, but that's gone...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

This winter has beat the shit out of them.  There are streets in Chicago that make the Moon's surface look smooth.  I've seen enough frost heaves on the roads, and some of them now double as speed bumps.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

akotchi

Lots of potholes in my part of Pennsylvania, especially where asphalt transitions to concrete.  Pavement seams and joints are particularly vulnerable.  Some were filled the other day (Friday, I think), but my township did not get to all of them.  Some are denoted by traffic cones or barricades, even ones in the middle of the road.  Makes for an interesting obstacle course on some roads.

I work in New Jersey, so I am on their roadways pretty frequently.  They tend to be a little better -- the major ones, anyway.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

cpzilliacus

The bridge decks on the Capital Beltway (I-95 part in Maryland) have been beat to Hades and need to be replaced, as they date to 1964. 

Much of the wearing course of the asphalt pavement on the federally-maintained part of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway ("secret" Md. 295) has been gouged up by the plows, and if the federal government has the money, is a good candidate for a big milling and repaving project during the coming construction season.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Pete from Boston

Worse than usual, for sure.  It might just be me but there seems to be more overzealous salting and plowing these days, really hastening the process.  I think the plow contractors in my immediate area are really milking it all they can.  In any case, it's going to be a long paving season here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.