News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that smell like food

Started by Brandon, July 05, 2014, 07:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 06, 2014, 10:45:01 AM
The New Jersey Turnpike from Exit 12 to Exit 14 smells like the kitchen in the school cafeterias when I was a kid.  :ded:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 06, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Last Sunday it smelled like BABY POO.  It is fascinating how the heat and wind mold and grow new aromas from the raw ingredients. 

Car and Driver once memorably, and quite aptly, described it as "miles and miles of universal fart."

Thirteen years ago today (6 July 2001), my brother gave me a lift to Brooklyn so I could bring home some furniture my relatives were giving me (I'd just moved into the house where I still live the previous weekend). As much as I appreciated the ride and the help, I still grouse about his idiotic insistence on keeping the windows down even over the Goethals Bridge instead of using the AC. We got stuck in stopped traffic on the bridge. Aside from a time in my 20s when being drunk did me in, I've never come so close to puking out the car window. The stench of North Jersey that day was overwhelming. It made a chemical outhouse smell like a gourmet restaurant!

Okay, I've been on the Turnpike to Exit 13 one time when the Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island was closed. I didn't smell anything. What is everyone smelling?? More importantly, what is making that smell?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 06, 2014, 10:13:20 PM
Car and Driver once memorably, and quite aptly, described it as "miles and miles of universal fart."

Sounds like I-55 through Chicagoland.  You have the refinery and chemical plants down by Channahon, the food processing by Bolingbrook, and finally the sewage treatment plants by Stickney.

You don't want to be stuck without air conditioning on a very hot day with little air movement on I-55 between Exits 279 and 282.  All of Chicago's (and many suburbs') sewage goes there to be treated, on both sides of the expressway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Legodinodoctor

When ever I pass through a landfill, it smells like a fart. :ded:
Propile pic for everything  (except this): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I-595.svg

UNDSIOUX

Smells I have noticed in my travels-

Beloit along I-39/90 has the Frito Lay plant- I don't know what exactly they make there (Fritos?), but it smells less than desirable and more like someone broke wind.  Always know where the winds are coming from depending on when I smell that stank on the way to work.

Grand Forks, ND US-2- JR Simplot in northwest Grand Forks is a potato processing plant (I had heard they process a majority of McDonald's french fries there), but it is one of the most disgusting smells I can remember from my time at school.  A mix between potatoes and vomit.  And when a east wind blows, you are lucky enough to smell sugar beet processing from Crystal Sugar in East Grand Forks.  Again, while the final products may taste delicious, this is a smell that I couldn't stand when I lived there.  To be honest, I avoid buying any sugar from sugar beet just because of that smell- I buy Hawaiian sugar cane instead.  I don't know if these smells reach I-29, but it is not doing the GFK tourism department any favors.

Milwaukee- I-94- the yeast smell (for beer) east of Miller Park to downtown in the Menomonee Valley.  Distinctive smell, not too bad.  Definitely a reminder I am back in Milwaukee.  Been smelling that for years and I am sure it is a better scent than the tannery smells that used to eminate from near the High Rise bridge.

Burlington, WI- Nestle chocolate factory along WI-83- a pleasant smell of chocolate, but I am sure it gets old.  I am warned by residents that it really sucks when they burn a batch though.

Rockford- US20- with strong south winds, you can smell the dumps that exist west of I-39 and along IL-251.  A lot of Chicago-area garbage is sent here and there are plans for expansion in the near future.  I just realize in about 50 years, Rockford is going to have some of the best ski hills in the upper Midwest and in Illinois of all places!!!  Ski Rockford baby....

algorerhythms

Thinking of roads that smell like crap... MD 135 through Luke, Maryland, passes by a paper mill.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on July 07, 2014, 10:28:05 AM
The New Jersey Turnpike from Exit 12 to Exit 14 smells like the kitchen in the school cafeterias when I was a kid.  :ded:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 06, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Last Sunday it smelled like BABY POO.  It is fascinating how the heat and wind mold and grow new aromas from the raw ingredients. 

Thirteen years ago today (6 July 2001), my brother gave me a lift to Brooklyn so I could bring home some furniture my relatives were giving me (I'd just moved into the house where I still live the previous weekend). As much as I appreciated the ride and the help, I still grouse about his idiotic insistence on keeping the windows down even over the Goethals Bridge instead of using the AC. We got stuck in stopped traffic on the bridge. Aside from a time in my 20s when being drunk did me in, I've never come so close to puking out the car window. The stench of North Jersey that day was overwhelming. It made a chemical outhouse smell like a gourmet restaurant!

Okay, I've never been on the Turnpike to Exit 13 one time when the Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island was closed. I didn't smell anything. What is everyone smelling?? More importantly, what is making that smell?

The first part of what you posted is hard to make sense of, but as for what the smells are, there are several answers.

First, there's the industrial part.  This area has a large petrochemical industry, including the Bayway refinery, and there are lots of stinks to be had from it.  In the "NJ Turnpike Tour" section of New Jersey: A Guide to the State, Barbara Westergard says the primary culprits are mercaptans that are by-products of refining (they are also the stuff added to natural gas so you can  smell it).

There are "sanitary landfills" (garbage dumps) along a lot of this corridor, all closed and capped.  Vents dug into the piles let out potentially explosive methane, which may be the smell described as fart-like.

Then there are tons and tons of vehicle exhaust.  Airplanes, cars, trucks, locomotives, and cargo ships all exist here in abundance in a narrow corridor.

Finally, and not insignificantly, the entire area from Exit 9 to Exit 18 is either in the midst of or at the edge of an estuarine environment rife with salt marsh, standing water, and untold tons of rotting plant and animal matter.  Even with no industry and no turnpike, this would stink on a hot day.  I don't know how much water and ground pollution adds to its foulness, but all that industry sure does leave a lot of both behind. 

Add one part each, mix well in heat and humidity, and take a deep breath. 

Zeffy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 07, 2014, 12:53:36 PM

The first part of what you posted is hard to make sense of, but as for what the smells are, there are several answers.

:banghead:  Okay, when I was first writing my post, I thought I hadn't used the Turnpike in those areas before... well I was wrong, because one day heading into New York City the Outerbridge Crossing was closed, so we took the NJTP instead. We used Exit 13, which apparently is the source of all that is nasty. I didn't really smell anything, but the windows were closed, so eh.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SectorZ

MA 31 on the west side of Fitchburg smells like poo, but that's where all my city's sewage goes. On rare occasion the smell can blow south to MA 2. MA 110 in Lowell near the junction with MA 38 as well for the same reason. The one in Lowell for some reason smells much worse than Fitchburg's.

1995hoo

Since we're now talking about foul smells, I-295 in DC qualifies. The southern portion between DC's Exit 1 and the Maryland line passes the Blue Plains sewage treatment facility. During the summer it smells horrible, even on days when it's not too hot (we passed it Friday on our way home from a Nationals game and I regretted forgetting to hit the "recirculate" button on the climate control before we neared that area). I won't drive my convertible with the top down on I-295 if I think there's any chance of getting stuck in traffic because I don't want to get stuck near Blue Plains.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

6a

I-270, and depending on the wind, I-71 on the north side of Columbus smell like the ingredients of liquid bread (Budweiser). I-670 near Cleveland Ave smells like bread (or cinnamon rolls on a good day) from the Kroger bakery.

Alps

Near the east end of MA 2A in Cambridge, it used to smell like chocolate on Thursdays and generic candy on a couple of other days. This was before the Necco factory closed.

US 54 in NW Texas smells like cows, but not beef.

agentsteel53

I-5, Harris Ranch.  dozens of square miles of solid cow ass.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 07, 2014, 08:08:08 PM
dozens of square miles of solid cow ass.

if someone wanted me to summarize this forum in one quote, it would be this one, probably
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

When the Wonder Bread factory was working full steam, you can smell freshly made bread with a NE wind on I-294 along the Mile Long Bridge. South wind would take that smell up to I-55 and LaGrange Road (US 12/20/45).

Cicero Avenue (IL-50) between 79th and Marquette gives you the lovely smell of Tootsie Rolls from the Tootsie Roll Factory.

Finally, Archer Ave (IL-171) gives you corn smell, as an ethanol plant is located at Archer and Roberts Road in Summit
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2014, 08:06:06 PM
Near the east end of MA 2A in Cambridge, it used to smell like chocolate on Thursdays and generic candy on a couple of other days. This was before the Necco factory closed.
You sure the chocolate wasn't from Cambridge Brands (Tootsie Roll) a block away?

QuoteUS 54 in NW Texas smells like cows, but not beef.

I lived up the road from a dairy in college.  Cow manure is fine, but the constant smell of spoiled milk is worse than the smell of Midtown Gravy (we all know this grey NY puddle) on a hot day.

talfonso

ROFL! Surprised that NJ's Route 208 isn't mentioned! The cookie fragrance from the Nabisco bakery is a welcoming scent from the typical Turnpike stink. (Not to mention that it tempts you to cheat on your diet!)

hbelkins

Sometimes the smell of steak cooking at the Winchester, Ky. Golden Corral can overwhelm traffic on the adjacent KY 1958.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

US 60 on the east side of Williamsburg smells like beer due to the Anheuser-Busch brewery nearby.

I-95 between exits 69 and 73 in Richmond often smells like poo.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jcroyer80

I-89 by Exit 10 in Waterbury, VT always smells like fresh coffee from the Green Mountain Coffee roasting facility (which you get a good view of from 89 southbound).

US71

Sometimes on Lake Shore Dr in Chicago, especially in Summer, you can smell the Alewives in Lake Michigan
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2014, 05:41:36 PM
Sometimes on Lake Shore Dr in Chicago, especially in Summer, you can smell the Alewives in Lake Michigan

And here I thought you could smell the green if your mind is feeling fine.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Guysdrive780

I think On the Kansas Turnpike, It smells like French Fries near Rest Areas
I run the DOT Youtube Channel, Part time Worker for TXDOT, College Student studying Civil Engineering (Traffic Engineering). Please Keep in mind, I do not represent TXDOT and all opinions I say are my own and not TXDOT's

DAL764

Back when I lived in Hamburg, if the wind was coming from the right direction, the whole neighborhood smell like chocolate thanks to the nearby Nestle factory, which used to be quite a nice thing.

Of course, if the wind came from the wrong direction, the whole neighborhood would reek of yeast factory that was also nearby. That wasn't nearly as enjoyable, especially on hot summer days.

Dr Frankenstein

R-138 entering Montreal and sometimes A-530 in Valleyfield smell like fermenting alcohol. Interestingly enough, I loathe how 138 smells, but I love the smell of A-530.

jbnv

Many a Popeye's location infuses nearby drives with the scent of fried food. For some reason Popeye's consistently manages to be more fragrant than other restaurants nearby. I think they may do that intentionally.

As for less pleasant aromas: You don't want to pass through here after a hurricane has come through.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.