News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Groups of shields on one sign

Started by Truvelo, November 12, 2009, 10:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

I apologise if there's already a thread on this but after doing a search I can't find anything so here goes.

Is this setup rare or not? On all my trips to the US I have never seen such an arrangement before. I've seen individual signs put together in a bunch but never a single sign with multiple shields.

Click on picture to enlarge
Speed limits limit life

deathtopumpkins

It's common VDOT practice in the cities of Richmond (and surrounding area), Newport News, and, to a lesser extent, Williamsburg.

From the AARoads Shield Gallery:

On Mercury Blvd westbound (US-258 SB) at Jefferson Ave (VA-143) in Newport News.
It's a brand new sign, so I'm not sure why they still left US-258 on a seperate sign as if it were an afterthought.

And do I spy a US shield for OH-37 or the other way around in that pic?  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

J N Winkler

Quote from: Truvelo on November 12, 2009, 10:19:36 AMIs this setup rare or not? On all my trips to the US I have never seen such an arrangement before. I've seen individual signs put together in a bunch but never a single sign with multiple shields.

Like pretty much everything else, it depends on the state.  The "backing board" approach tends to be rare for permanent signs (other Virginia examples include confirmatory assemblies on I-85 northbound between Petersburg and the NC state line), but in Missouri it is now used extensively for construction detour signing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

florida

Ohio is a nice state to have recognized US 37.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Quote from: florida on November 12, 2009, 11:14:32 AM
Ohio is a nice state to have recognized US 37.

And it links the Buckeye State with northern Virginia no less...

agentsteel53

that is certainly an error sign. 

replace white legend with Highway Gothic Series E!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 12, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
It's common VDOT practice in the cities of Richmond (and surrounding area), Newport News, and, to a lesser extent, Williamsburg.
And to add on an example from Williamsburg.  I don't know of any offhand in the Richmond-Petersburg area though. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

Wisconsin does this a lot, though they often leave the arrows and banners out of the grouping:

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

Franklin, TN has put at least one of these unisigns downtown where Bus. US 31, Bus. US 431 and TN 96 meet.  (with a TO I-65 sign added in for good measure.)  And, yes, getting a picture is on my list of things to do.  There are also a few at the Exit 67, the McEwen Drive SPUI on I-65 in Franklin with the direction, shield and white on blue arrow on the same sign.

I'm pretty sure that it is the city of Franklin doing it and not TDOT as I haven't seen any signs like this anywhere else in Tennessee that I can recall.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

corco

Washington does that a lot for reassurance shields like this:
or this

or less frequently like this or this or this (the last one used to be common but is being phased out)

I know of only one unisign in Idaho, and haven't seen any in other states I drive around in a lot

I guess you could make the argument that Nebraska uses them quite frequently at junctions, but I'd argue that's a whole different animal

exit322

That's a pretty new sign there in Delaware (OH, the first picture on this thread).  Not a big fan.

xonhulu

Here's one in Woodburn, OR.  Not many others I know of in the state.

Alex

Delaware has a few of these too, but they are mainly in southern New Castle County and in the Dover area.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 12, 2009, 06:37:05 PM
Wisconsin does this a lot, though they often leave the arrows and banners out of the grouping:

Lately, though, the trend has been to include directional banners and arrows. Much of the signs along US 2 looked to have been replaced within the past year. (Yes, US 2 and the Circle Tour are on a single panel.)

Hellfighter

Hey, does this count...  :-D

Truvelo

Quote from: Hellfighter on November 13, 2009, 12:09:45 AM

That's not a bad idea. It's a lot clearer than having multiple shields. An example of this I'm familiar with is US 1-9 in New Jersey.
Speed limits limit life

rawmustard

That's a group of numbers on one shield, Ryan. :p

US71

Quote from: Hellfighter on November 13, 2009, 12:09:45 AM

Classic!  :nod:
Now, do you have a 4 in 1 ?  :D

Truvelo

Quote from: US71 on November 13, 2009, 08:09:55 AM
Classic!  :nod:
Now, do you have a 4 in 1 ?  :D

It would be possible to have a US shield with 4 numbers on the southern beltway around Madison, WI.
Speed limits limit life

US71

I just remembered: the classic 2 in 1 US 79/80

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

US71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.