News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Closest US Highway you’ve never driven

Started by US 89, November 26, 2017, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfilpus

US 48. I've been near both ends, but not on the road proper.

ftballfan

For me, it's US-223 (technically, I've been on its concurrent section with US-23 into OH which only exists to legitimize US-223)

Mike_OH

I live in Cincinnati, and the closest I have never driven on at all is US 33 approximately 100 miles away in Columbus.

Hurricane Rex

For me: US 730. Dissapointing compared to the rest here: Closest point by driving millage: 175 miles.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SD Mapman

US 138, ~315 miles through a whole lot of nothing.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

MCRoads

Does driving on concurencys count as "not driving on" the route? If so, US 62.

oh wait, drove that in Kentucky... I dont actually know.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MCRoads on December 13, 2017, 09:55:26 AM
Does driving on concurencys count as "not driving on" the route?
Are you joking? Of course it counts!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 13, 2017, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on December 13, 2017, 09:55:26 AM
Does driving on concurencys count as "not driving on" the route?
Are you joking? Of course it counts!

Why should driving on a concurrency count as not driving on one of the routes?

If, for example, you've never driven on a part of US-6 that's not concurrent with another highway but you've driven on hundreds of miles' worth of it that are concurrent with another highway (I-70, US-34, I-80, I-94, ...), then why should you be able to say you've never driven on US-6?  (I believe this was actually true for me until just this past summer, when I drove my first 11 miles of Just-6)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 26, 2017, 12:48:23 AM
I saw this idea in another thread and figured I'd start a thread devoted to it.

For me, it would be US 163 (which I really want to drive someday) except that I did travel on the segment of modern 191 between Bluff and I-70 before 2008, which was when AASHTO officially truncated 163 to Bluff. If that counts as having been on 163, then my answer is US 14/16.

I live in Chicagoland, and oddly enough, I've clinched US163  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :spin:

I've hardly done any driving on US14 and US18 to my north.  The closest US highway I haven't interacted with at all might be US223.  I've been on a tiny segment of US131, so I don't think US131 should count as a highway I've driven on.  So I'll go with US131.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

catsynth

Hmm, there aren't all that many left in California ;).  But I have never driven any of US 199
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

Flint1979

I drove on US 223 the other night so that one is indeed off the list now for me. That means that I have now driven on every US highway in the state of Michigan at least once with the exception of US 45. I even have the short US 8 clinched, US 8 is only in Michigan for about 2 miles.

I had thought that US 250 would have been it for me but now that I look at it I've been on that highway before, granted it was very close to it's northern terminus and just exiting off of SR 2. I've been on every US highway in northern Indiana. I'll have to say it's now US 42 for me and I certainly don't remember ever being on US 42 so that must be it.

TBKS1

I've been on pretty much every single US route in Arkansas. However, I still haven't been on US-278 at all yet.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

KEVIN_224

If we're only talking about primary US Routes, I think my nearest miss is either US Route 2 in the Bangor, ME area or US Route 13 in Philadelphia. I've ridden next to US Route 13 on Amtrak several times in the Bristol, PA area, however.

As either a bus passenger, car passenger or on foot, I've definitely been on parts of US 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 20, 22, 29, 30, 31, 36, 40, 41, 44, 50, 202 and 431.

Nashville, TN - August 15, 2010

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

HazMatt

Looks like US 80 in Savannah, approx. 340 miles.

sbeaver44

US 36 in Ohio.  296 miles from me in Central PA.

Nexus 6P

freebrickproductions

Probably US 412 in Tennessee. Other than the very, very, very eastern tip of it at I-65 in Tennessee (which I'm not counting as driven due to the fact that I spent more time on that part of TN 99 than on that part of US 412), I can't recall having ever driven on that highway.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

michravera

Quote from: oscar on November 26, 2017, 01:00:22 AM
Are you counting alternate or business US routes?

I recall some other thread asking for the closest Interstate, US, and state highway we've never driven/been on -- and I think the alt/bus routes issue came up there too. I'm too sleepy to look for it tonight, but maybe it can be dredged up with some more digging.

I am sure that, while I lived in Austin, I missed some US highways that were really nearby, but due to both their scarcity and my extensive travels, that I have been on or crossed at right angles every US highway in California and US 93 in Nevada, so my guess is that it would be some East-West US highway in NorthEastern Oregon.

Highway63

Counting split routes as individual segments as Travel Mapping does, I only have 48 routes that I haven't had even a dinky scrape or interstate-concurrency on. An unfair number of them are in the South. I'm going to guess my closest untouched is US 641, simply because that's the closest one to the Midwest (not counting independent US 10 in Michigan), and I have seen its north end.

TheCatalyst31

US 65, which I've crossed at least three times but never actually driven on. Honorable mention for US 63, since I've driven on it in Missouri but somehow not my home state or one of its border states.

jdb1234

US 331.  Seen its northern terminus multiple times but never driven it.

mrcmc888

US 1.  I'm about 10 miles from its route in Pennsylvania and I've driven several of its child routes, but never been on the actual road itself.  (Yes, I know, I don't go to the beach very often.)  :-D

roadman65

US 17 in parts of Duval and Nassau Counties in FL.

US 23's independent section free from US 1 in Jax.

US 129 between Chiefland and US 27.

US 90 between Lake City and its eastern end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jflick99

I'm about 30 miles from the southern terminus of US 159. I've crossed it on I-29, but never been on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.