News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pointless routes

Started by Urban Prairie Schooner, February 18, 2009, 07:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: ftballfan on August 08, 2011, 06:04:52 PM
KY-7 in eastern Kentucky is over 200 miles of winding road. It runs mainly north-south, but turns east-west at Deane and then turns north-south again (actually south-north) at Cornettsville. Its southern terminus is at KY-15, a road that it meets again about 20 miles east at Isom.
Hardly pointless. Between Grayson and West Liberty it's built to high standards, forming part of a regional corridor to London (the KY 30 relocation is not yet complete northeast of Annville).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ftballfan

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2011, 07:07:25 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on August 08, 2011, 06:04:52 PM
KY-7 in eastern Kentucky is over 200 miles of winding road. It runs mainly north-south, but turns east-west at Deane and then turns north-south again (actually south-north) at Cornettsville. Its southern terminus is at KY-15, a road that it meets again about 20 miles east at Isom.
Hardly pointless. Between Grayson and West Liberty it's built to high standards, forming part of a regional corridor to London (the KY 30 relocation is not yet complete northeast of Annville).
It may be pointless south of Garrett (KY-80), but then again, almost every road in Kentucky is a state highway.

yakra

Quote from: mhallack on August 06, 2011, 05:33:32 PM
I can see the need, I guess why sign them as interstates. I should have been clearer, sorry!!
Full freeway spurs from the interstate system, constructed with federal interstate $$. I'd point to the second item as being the key here. 395 was planned from the early days of the interstate system, with the first bits (The Bangor (Brewer?) Industrial) Spur, west of the river) built before much of I-95 in the area.
They'd have to have a new route number anyway*, so why not go with the interstate shield.

*Well, US2 & 1A coulda been rerouted to "bump" at I-395 Exit 3, but that wouldn't have been very elegant, would it?

Edit: Quoted the post I was replying to. I should have been clearer too!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

pianocello

Quote from: yakra on August 11, 2011, 03:13:39 PM
Full freeway spurs from the interstate system, constructed with federal interstate $$. I'd point to the second item as being the key here. 395 was planned from the early days of the interstate system, with the first bits (The Bangor (Brewer?) Industrial) Spur, west of the river) built before much of I-95 in the area.
They'd have to have a new route number anyway*, so why not go with the interstate shield.

*Well, US2 & 1A coulda been rerouted to "bump" at I-395 Exit 3, but that wouldn't have been very elegant, would it?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Your example doesn't really apply here, because it has an interstate shield. Do you mean like I-270 Spur (MD)?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

yakra

I was replying to mhallack, about ME I-195 & 395 specifically.
Sorry about the lack of context; I should have been clearer there.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

pianocello

OK that makes much more sense. I agree that the spurs may be needed, just not the interstate designation. Especially in NY, CA, TN, or NC where 3di numbers are running low.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.