Lets start a petition to cancel the holidays

Started by ZLoth, October 24, 2013, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on December 15, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on December 15, 2013, 05:48:57 PM
Also, power of love = energy of love / time of love = force of love * distance of love / time of love?

Force of love only works if love has a mass. If so, seek immediate medical attention.

On the contrary, if your love is lacking in mass, they make pills for that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

Quote from: texaskdog on December 15, 2013, 08:19:45 PM
I remember when "Christmas" was acceptable in commercials instead of "the Holidays" 

Also when Holidays included New Years as well.  Now New Years is said to be just plain ole New Years after the "so called" holidays end at Christmas Night.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on December 15, 2013, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 15, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on December 15, 2013, 05:48:57 PM
Also, power of love = energy of love / time of love = force of love * distance of love / time of love?

Force of love only works if love has a mass. If so, seek immediate medical attention.

On the contrary, if your love is lacking in mass, they make pills for that.

However, if it lasts for more than 4 hours, then see a doctor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Laura

Nothing is worse than that stupid Christmas Shoes song.

Brandon

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 16, 2013, 11:26:55 PM

Yes, there is.  Three words: "Dominic The Donkey". :barf:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."

Barf

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

I have no problem with the joke songs (grandma got run over by a reindeer, Dominic the donkey, etc.), because they are light hearted, fun, and don't take themselves seriously. I like them in small doses, though.

I really like McCartney's simply having a wonderful Christmas time because it reminds me of friends just being together, having a good time, throwing a little jam together. (It reminds me of the parties my college friends had).

But Christmas shoes... That song was created from a CHAIN LETTER. Meant to contrive emotion. It's so sappy for all the wrong reasons.

iPhone

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 17, 2013, 12:00:06 PM
I really like McCartney's simply having a wonderful Christmas time because it reminds me of friends just being together, having a good time, throwing a little jam together. (It reminds me of the parties my college friends had).

Well, it's better than his Beatles cohort's Christmas song. Talk about being NOT festive and joyful.

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2013, 01:33:08 PMWell, it's better than his Beatles cohort's Christmas song. Talk about being NOT festive and joyful.
"And what have you done?" is the only line (other than the coda bit where the title comes from) that sucks out the season. It's not "Santa Claus is coming to town", where every line is a joy-sapping "do you deserve Christmas? the pedophile watching you sleep gets to decide. Watch out! Don't do anything that might upset him!"

You better watch out!
You better not pout!
You better not cry
It's the coming of the big red guy!
He's constantly watching you, looking for you to fail.
He sends the naughty kids off to jail.
He spies on little girls and boys
And if you are awake he'll give you no toys.
Be good! For goodness sake!
Or they'll be holding your wake.
If you have not got it yet.
This song is mostly threat.

Duke87

Ugh, thanks for reminding me! It's fortunately been a few years since I last actually heard that song.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

signalman

I don't believe I've ever had the displeasure of hearing this song; at least it doesn't sound familiar based on the title.  But if it sounds as awful as the title implies, I certainly hope that I never do hear it.

roadman65

Yeah, this year Magic 107 did not play the song considering that they played it years and years on their Christmas Music Station.

It really is not a stupid song, except for the fact that momma is dying and she wants Jesus to see her on the other side with them on.  It tells the story of a man who gives a kid some money to buy a pair of shoes when he overhears the salesman say that he does not have enough money to pay for the shoes.  He reaches into his pocket and just pays the difference out of Christmas Spirit.

Why I say it is not good to want to wear a pair of shoes when you die is the fact in real christian belief is that only your body goes into the after life.  Your possessions and clothing you wear get destroyed with the previous world.  In essence, she would not be wearing those shoes in the here after.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2013, 01:33:08 PM

Well, it's better than his Beatles cohort's Christmas song. Talk about being NOT festive and joyful.

that's one of the few Christmas songs I honestly like.

most of it is generally inoffensive, and ranges from tolerable to miserable (usually the determining criterion is how "unique" the singer wants to make his phrasing as to not sound like a direct copy of Bing Crosby or whomever).  the one that needs to have its eyebrows singed off with an H-bomb is that awful "baby, it's cold outside".  hooray for rape!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

One of my favorite Christmas novelty songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Another of my favorite Christmas novelty songs (and it's actually road related too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua4qUUMm93s
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Laura

Quote from: signalman on December 18, 2013, 09:07:21 AM
I don't believe I've ever had the displeasure of hearing this song; at least it doesn't sound familiar based on the title.  But if it sounds as awful as the title implies, I certainly hope that I never do hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

So Mike had not hear it, so we watched the music video together....and were both depressed afterwards. the song is really quite sad. I forgot how sad it was because I was so focused on the fact that it's pretty schmaltzy and has an early 90's feel even though it came out in 2000.

So I think I have to move it up my list now, depending on my mood.

1995hoo

No matter how much of a bah-humbug mood I may sometimes get into, seeing the legendary light display at 1601 Collingwood Road south of Alexandria, Virginia, always changes that. Click to play video. I like it that he has just lights, no blow-up dolls or "Santa Stop Here" signs or other such crap. Just 270,000 lights all synced to music playing over a low-power FM transmitter (music not audible because we had gotten out of the car).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

How about the Mr. Grinch song?  It is all negatives with negative on negatives ie. "Your soul had the worst assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable" at one point in the song using three negatives for that particular line.

I think the song is a novelty and all the bad words in the song make it funny the way the writer has come up with an used them throughout the song.  Then the "39 and 1/2 foot pole" or choosing a seasick crocodile over Mr. Grinch is another one.

Correction about the rubbish line.  It really goes like this:
Your sole is a appalling dump heap
Overflowing with the most disgraceful
Assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable,
Mangled up in tangled up knots.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

roadman65

I hate now as some R & B/ Rap artists are butchering Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, etc songs by dubbin in their own beat to the song. 

I am sure ole Bing is turning in his grave knowing that his classic song that he himself sung, is now part of a rap song.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

There are some remixes of holiday songs being featured in commercials that I like.

The Pringles commercial with the snippet from "Nutcracker" and Verizon's "Winter Wonderland" come to mind.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.