News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Record Colds in many places

Started by roadman65, January 07, 2014, 08:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

If you plan to drive the new Kokomo Bypass, it will be really chilly and I do not mean that the experience is chilling either.   Today, from the Weather Channel, Kokomo, IN is at minus 14 with a minus 34 wind chill.   In addition TWC is issuing a warning to limit outdoor exposure to a minimum as its "dangerous windchill," so  it has got to be bad. Even Dodge City, KS is warmer at 17.

Other areas of record chills are in Minneapolis, Chicago, and even Indy as this Arctic Blast is really hitting us badly.  Atlanta is at 5 degrees, and where I live got down to 35.  Some experts are saying that this is record breaking material and it has never got this bad.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

I was disappointed that the temperature display in the car only got down to 8F this morning. Thermometer in our kitchen window says 2.

Polarfleece-lined jeans feel nice when it's chilly outside like this.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2014, 08:52:36 AM
Some experts are saying that this is record breaking material and it has never got this bad.

If it is breaking a record, then yes, it has never been that bad!

Now, record breaking temps can occur more/less by random chance.  Today in Philly, for example, the low was 5 or 6 degrees, which broke the previous record of 7 degrees.  But half the days in January have record low temperatures below 0.  If today's weather occurred 3 days from now, it wouldn't have even been close to the record low of -5.

SD Mapman

It was -7 up here on Sunday, and this past December we had a streak of about 5 or 6 days below zero. (Now this isn't odd for East River, but for the Black Hills it's just strange and unusual.)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 07, 2014, 09:13:11 AM
Some experts are saying that this is record breaking material and it has never got this bad.

If it is breaking a record, then yes, it has never been that bad!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(No offense, roadman. But that's pretty damn funny.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Now now. Stop bullying him. Or, if you're in Alanland, stop billying him.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

If you plan to drive the new Kokomo Bypass, it will be really chilly and I do not mean that the experience is chilling either.   Today, from the Weather Channel, Kokomo, IN is at minus 14 with a minus 34 wind chill.   In addition TWC is issuing a warning to limit outdoor exposure to a minimum as its "dangerous windchill," so  it has got to be bad. Even Dodge City, KS is warmer at 17.

Other areas of record chills are in Minneapolis, Chicago, and even Indy as this Arctic Blast is really hitting us badly.  Atlanta is at 5 degrees, and where I live got down to 35.  Some experts are saying that this is record breaking material and it has never got this bad.

Chicago's lowest recorded low (since 1870) is still unbroken at -27 F (January 20, 1985).  It has been worse; however, the -16 F did break the record for the low on January 6, and the -2 F broke the record for lowest high on the same date.  We also had the lowest temperature at noon (-14 F) since January 18, 1994.  http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=99358&source=0
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CNGL-Leudimin

Meanwhile, Europe is seeing record high temps for this time of the year. It seems that all cold went to North America.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Road Hog

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 07, 2014, 10:29:50 AM
Meanwhile, Europe is seeing record high temps for this time of the year. It seems that all cold went to North America.

Highs in Frankfurt the next 3 days: 56ºF, 55ºF, 54ºF. Those are temperatures to die for in January.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Road Hog on January 07, 2014, 04:08:48 PM
Highs in Frankfurt the next 3 days: 56ºF, 55ºF, 54ºF. Those are temperatures to die for in January.

That was yesterday's weather in most of NJ.

rickmastfan67

Had a new record low here overnight in Pittsburgh, -9F.  The old record was -5F.

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 07, 2014, 09:21:29 AM
It was -7 up here on Sunday, and this past December we had a streak of about 5 or 6 days below zero. (Now this isn't odd for East River, but for the Black Hills it's just strange and unusual.)
What is strange and unusual for East River is -50F windchills. Over in Minnesota, the governor closed all schools in the state on Monday, and pretty much all of East River followed suit from what I saw.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

amroad17

Cincinnati, January 1977.  -25F and the Ohio River froze over.  People were walking back and forth from Cincinnati to Covington, KY on the river.

Cincinnati, January 1982.  -9F with a wind chill of -59F.  The day of the Freezer Bowl game between the San Diego Chargers and the Bengals.

Cincinnati, January 2014.  -7F  and just plain cold.  But, then again, it is January.  And, it has happened before.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

Random question for the weather/TWC geeks: anyone get any Intellistar screenshots of these temperatures?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Molandfreak

Sort of unrelated, but I found it cool: A massive wind that blew snow to the point where cities were indistinguishable around the Great Lakes. 1/6/14, 15:14 EST. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/jaw-dropping-photo-of-the-frozen-great-lakes-looks-like-1496557704

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

ET21

Figure I reuse this topic as another major cold outbreak is possible for Monday through Wednesday. Some of the temps in Northern Plains and Midwest may not get above -10 for highs and dip as low as -30 to -40
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

realjd

75 and sunny here in Key West. It's still cold up north? I had to break out a sweatshirt last night when it got down into the 60's.

Zeffy

New Jersey and most of the northeast is still under the grip of some rather cold air... including too many snowstorms that keep making roads treacherous.

Quote from: realjd on January 25, 2014, 02:26:22 PM
75 and sunny here in Key West. It's still cold up north? I had to break out a sweatshirt last night when it got down into the 60's.

Anything above 40 degrees and I will wear summer clothing (t-shirt, shorts). Anything below 40 degrees, but above 20 degrees I will wear a sweatshirt and shorts. Anything below 10 degrees, I'll consider pants with a sweatshirt. The lower-half of my body generates a ridiculous amount of heat that allows me to be in non-seasonal clothing while others freeze their asses off. In summer; I practically swelter without air conditioning. For example, during my graduation ceremony in 2012, it was a real-feel of 109 degrees... the school let us wear shorts and t-shirts because WE HAD THE CEREMONY ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. If you want to know what that feels like, I'll tell you: go to Miami in the summer and stand in a non-shaded area while the sun is beaming directly onto you. Now put a gown on. Congratulations - you are probably sweating. If not, you cheated.

The only thing I hate is snow. Cold weather? Haven't cared about it for 8 years now. Though usually Jersey never gets this much cold weather, let alone this much snow.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Northeastern Massachusetts: Average 25, standard deviation 10.

If you don't know what that means, it is between 10° and 40˚ about 85% of the time. Sometimes it will be higher or lower, but it is rare.

The Midwest is often below 0°F though.

Another fun fact: Temperature is always in degrees Celsius if the sun is rising or setting. At least according to Google Maps. I have no idea why this happens.

Side note: Is the degree symbol like 25° or 25˚? (Yes, they are different.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Brandon

60's is still short sleeves and shorts weather.  In some parts of the country, we call that summer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2014, 09:46:42 PM

60's is still short sleeves and shorts weather.  In some parts of the country, we call that summer.

It's all relative. If it's been in the 20's, 60 degrees is working outside in shorts. If it's been in the 90's, 60 degrees is bundling up in long sleeves and a blanket.

wxfree

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2014, 10:02:14 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2014, 09:46:42 PM

It's all relative. If it's been in the 20's, 60 degrees is working outside in shorts. If it's been in the 90's, 60 degrees is bundling up in long sleeves and a blanket.

This is true.  Here in the DFW area, in the summer the 60s can feel cold when the recent highs are 95-105.  In the winter, temperatures in the 60s are glorious.  Regarding record cold, some areas around here had lows below 10 this month, which is a rare event.  We're on a roller coaster now, with lows near 10 Thursday, then highs in the 70s tomorrow, and lows below 20 coming again Monday night.  I kinda like it; I enjoy contrast.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

ET21

No offense to anyone in warmer states like Florida (as these cold snaps are unusual to near record territory on occasion) but seeing your news media outlets go ape because it dropped below 65 degrees makes me laugh :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

KEK Inc.

Watch out.  Water freezes 40 degrees cooler than it is outside.   Floridian drivers might lose control of their vehicles on the thought of possible ice and get an 80 car pileup like that Wisconsin freeway.
Take the road less traveled.

bugo

It got to 70 on Sunday in northeast Oklahoma and it's forecast to get down to 8 on Monday night.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.