News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who here loves coffee?

Started by signalman, August 10, 2014, 04:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much coffee do you drink?

I drink it all day long
3 (7.3%)
I normally only drink it when I wake up, but will occasionally after dinner or when I need a pickup
10 (24.4%)
I only drink it when I wake up
2 (4.9%)
I don't drink coffee at all
15 (36.6%)
I only drink it on occasion, not daily
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Zeffy

Is it bad to drink soda instead of coffee for a caffeine fix? Well, actually I mostly just drink soda because it tastes so damn good, but I'm not much of a coffee person so it helps when I need a fix up.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

Quote from: Zeffy on August 12, 2014, 02:15:26 PM
Is it bad to drink soda instead of coffee for a caffeine fix? Well, actually I mostly just drink soda because it tastes so damn good, but I'm not much of a coffee person so it helps when I need a fix up.

I drink Red Bull if I am planning on exceeding my normal awakeness and alertness requirements.  this is mainly on the weekends during long road trips.  other times I drink hardly any caffeine so that I don't build up a tolerance, and said Red Bull has an effect.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

If it's not water, it's probably bad for you.  Or good for you.  Depends on the latest study.  BTW water may be bad for you too. Depends on the latest study.

But when it comes down to it, however one keeps awake is a personal preference.  I prefer 5 Hour Energy Drinks if I need to be up late at night driving; Red Bull & Vodka if I want to be up late at night partying.

I've drink way too much Coca-Cola in my life to know I shouldn't be drinking it anymore. But I still do.  On a side note...I have both the Jeff & Nicole Coke "Share a Coke with" Bottles.

kkt

I generally drink tea.  Black teas, Earl Grey or Assam or Darjeeling.
I only drink coffee to keep awake if I'm at some roadside convenience store that doesn't have decent tea (water not at a full boil, lousy tea).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 12, 2014, 02:58:55 PM

If it's not water, it's probably bad for you.  Or good for you.  Depends on the latest study.  BTW water may be bad for you too. Depends on the latest study.

But when it comes down to it, however one keeps awake is a personal preference.  I prefer 5 Hour Energy Drinks if I need to be up late at night driving; Red Bull & Vodka if I want to be up late at night partying.

I've drink way too much Coca-Cola in my life to know I shouldn't be drinking it anymore. But I still do.  On a side note...I have both the Jeff & Nicole Coke "Share a Coke with" Bottles.

I can't see how water could possibly be bad for you in the slightest way. But I drink A LOT of soda. As I said earlier in the thread, I drink coffee occasionally but not daily, but I drink soda A LOT. Now I do know that clearly isn't too good for you, lol, but I still drink it a good bit, but I need to decrease the amount I drink. Other drinks I drink a lot (water & soda being obvious drinks I drink the most) are coffee, sweet tea, chi tea (or however you spell it), any kind of juice, hot chocolate, etc. I am actually not a huge fan of milk but I like chocolate milk. I also like energy drinks, drinking Gatorade the most.

If I really need some caffeine to stay awake for whatever reason, I'll either drink a soda with caffeine (like Coke or Dr. Pepper) or just some coffee.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

agentsteel53

Quote from: Captain Edward Smith
I can't see how water could possibly be bad for you in the slightest way.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 12, 2014, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: Captain Edward Smith

I think it's clear that it was drinking water that was under discussion, not running your boat into it when it's frozen.

rawmustard

I was once a daily coffee drinker, but circumstances have made it so I only drink it once in a while now. When I have it with breakfast, I drink it black, although I do like lattes on occasion (caramel and mocha being my favorite flavors).

US81

I use coffee as a tool, to wake up or become more alert, more often at work, but sometimes at home, too. Until very recently I drank Diet Mountain Dew for the caffeine; living in Texas, I wanted a cold beverage except for those rare days or weeks of winter. I have just found a cold brew coffee that I enjoy both iced and hot, enough so that I have really cut down my consumption of diet soda. [Is it bad to drink soda? Dietary phosphorus can leach calcium out of the bones, making them more brittle. The kidneys are definitely more efficient and effective with a certain amount of free water intake. Several studies have shown links between obesity and diet soft drink consumption. I think the real answer is probably moderation in everything.] I don't take sugar or sweeteners, but I do add a little unsweetened almond milk more often than not. Most of the commercial iced coffee beverages have added sugar, sometimes a lot - caveat emptor.

Edited to add: For enjoyment, I drink tea, both iced and hot; black, green, white, herb ....

Pete from Boston

If you think the equivalent of 15 teaspoons of sugar in a 20-oz. bottle isn't bad, then no, it's not bad.

I stopped drinking soda because it just seemed silly to funnel nutritionless sugar into my body in huge quantities, and as for all the sugar substitute chemicals, well, no thank you to all that nonsense.

Coffee may or may not be good for you.  Soda pretty much isn't.

kj3400

I don't drink coffee. Actually there isn't much I drink. I don't drink soda, don't like tea very much (I'll drink iced tea though), and stopped drinking milk (except with cereal) when I hit 20. Mostly just water and juice for me.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

bugo

I don't like coffee outside of Frappuccinos that you buy chilled in the store.

I only like one energy drink, the store brand at the store where I work.

Diet coke is poison and should be avoided at all cost.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 12, 2014, 05:13:33 PM

Depends if it's treated or not.  If you've traveled to some other areas and been told don't drink the water...there's probably a reason why.  It may not kill you...but may keep you on the toilet for a while.

There's other issues as well - whether it contains too much fluoride, etc.  Again, it's not going to kill you, just like soda and coffee ain't going to kill the average person either.  But to consider it 100% healthy may not be absolutely correct.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: bugo on August 14, 2014, 02:42:21 PM

I know it's not really that great for you, but what do you mean by "poison", poison being a strong word. If you mean literal poison then that's not good at all, as I have had my share of diet cokes, not a lot, but I've had my share  :eyebrow: :-o :paranoid: :bang head:

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 14, 2014, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 12, 2014, 05:13:33 PM

Depends if it's treated or not.  If you've traveled to some other areas and been told don't drink the water...there's probably a reason why.  It may not kill you...but may keep you on the toilet for a while.

There's other issues as well - whether it contains too much fluoride, etc.  Again, it's not going to kill you, just like soda and coffee ain't going to kill the average person either.  But to consider it 100% healthy may not be absolutely correct.

^ that sounds about right. But generally when I think of "water" absolutely nothing unhealthy comes to mind.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

hbelkins

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 14, 2014, 03:24:25 PM

I know it's not really that great for you, but what do you mean by "poison", poison being a strong word.

There's a very vocal anti-Aspartame crowd out there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Aspartame is a toxin and can cause adverse reactions.  If you support aspartame, do some research on the approval process for aspartame.  Donald Rumsfeld had a lot to do with it, if that tells you anything.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2014, 04:00:20 PM

I know it's not really that great for you, but what do you mean by "poison", poison being a strong word.

Rightfully so.  The shit ruined my mom's health and the health of my friend's mother too.

bugo

Too much water can be a bad thing.  Ecstasy users are warned to drink water, but not too much as either can be bad for you.  Ecstasy rarely does permanent damage, but drinking too little or too much water when you take it can kill.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: bugo on August 14, 2014, 06:47:01 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2014, 04:00:20 PM

Rightfully so.  The shit ruined my mom's health and the health of my friend's mother too.

Sorry about your mom & your friend's mother. I will try to stay away from diet coke and other diet drinks. Usually when I drink soda I just drink regular soda, and that's not too good for you either so I'll have to cut down on soda at all. Good thing we have coffee  :bigass:

The Nature Boy

I usually avoid coffee. Not a big fan of the taste.

When I lived in New England, I was probably the only one to go to Dunkin for the donuts and not coffee.

freebrickproductions

I'm not a fan of coffee. I like the smell of it though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

I actually like the carbonation of pop, and if I drank as much regular pop as I do Diet Coke, I'd weigh a lot more than I do now.

Walmart and Dollar General have some flavored zero-calorie carbonated waters. I'm not a fan of drinking regular water and don't want the empty calories of regular pop. No one around here carries the Splenda version of Diet Coke. So I guess I'll take my chances with aspertame.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

LOL @ "pop".  Pop is a type of music or a small explosion to me.  I've lived in Oklahoma and laugh every time I hear somebody say "pop".  "Pop" sounds cheap and low quality, like the Walmart brand of cola.  Quality soft drinks shouldn't be called "pop".

adventurernumber1

Quote from: bugo on August 14, 2014, 10:06:20 PM
LOL @ "pop".  Pop is a type of music or a small explosion to me.  I've lived in Oklahoma and laugh every time I hear somebody say "pop".  "Pop" sounds cheap and low quality, like the Walmart brand of cola.  Quality soft drinks shouldn't be called "pop".

Lol "pop" does kind of sound low-quality but oddly the word "pop" sounds appetizing to me, so on the other hand it really makes me want a soda right now  :wow:

Pete from Boston

Been drinking seltzer over regular soda as long as I can remember.  There's always something in the fridge to put a splash of in it if flavor's an issue.  Hundreds of calories avoided, lots of helpful rehydration accomplished.  It ruined Sprite for me, but I do like the rare glass of coke or root beer as a treat.  I also appreciate a good ginger ale much more now than when I was a kid (because it vaguely hints at booze?). 

In terms of where it fits in my life, soda's like cake–absurdly sweet, a nice break, and definitely something I don't need frequently.  Even Cookie Monster concluded cookies are a "sometimes food."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.