News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your guilty pleasure restaurant on the road?

Started by TravelingBethelite, August 02, 2015, 05:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2015, 01:36:56 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 02, 2015, 06:23:13 PM
For me it would have to be Burger King and McDonalds.
I'm going to regret it so much in the future when I have diabetes, won't I? Even though I don't eat it alot junk food always wins.
Yep. Better stop now.

Remember: People that have never smoked can get lung cancer.

Anyone can enjoy anything, as long as they do it in moderation.

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 03, 2015, 04:16:38 PM
I'm going to regret it so much in the future when I have diabetes, won't I? Even though I don't eat it alot junk food always wins.
Yep. Better stop now.

Didn't pick up on my sarcasm...whoops.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2015, 04:23:23 PM
Yep. Better stop now.

I would think once a week is "in moderation".
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

noelbotevera

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 03, 2015, 04:24:19 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2015, 04:23:23 PM
Yep. Better stop now.

I would think once a week is "in moderation".
fair point.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

davewiecking

Once I've backed out of my driveway, I'm "on the road". There's a Checkers I like to hit if I'm making a dump (excuse me-Waste Transfer Center) run. Not enough Quizno's near me, and because of this thread, I just discovered there's one a block from my favorite lumber yard, which I wish I'd known last Friday...

RevZimmerman

Del Taco - none in PA, but one in Toledo on the way to Indiana.

Culver's - any place in the Upper Great Lakes region when back there.

getemngo

White Castle. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I'm very thankful that Culver's and Steak 'n Shake are already plentiful where I live.
~ Sam from Michigan

vtk

Quote from: getemngo on August 03, 2015, 05:28:16 PM

I'm very thankful that Culver's and Steak 'n Shake are already plentiful where I live.

Last I looked into it, Steak 'n' Shake had only one Michigan location.  Have they expanded there?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

Oh I forgot Jack N The Box and Whataburger which are on every street corner in Texas.  We used to have them years ago (Jack In The Box) in NJ, but they closed them all down in the late 70's.  Then Wataburger used to have three in Orlando that made out well, but for some unknown reason, less than a full year they opened them up, they closed them down.  I only got to eat there once during their brief tenor, so now its when I am in Texas or Arkansas for Wataburger, but if anyplace west of the Mississippi then its Jack N The Box.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mcdonaat

Dairy Queen in Opelousas, LA - chili cheese dog, BBQ Lays, and Mr Pibb for $2.95 after tax. Also any DQ Brazier or Texas DQ, not those crappy Grill and Chill places, and also any McDonalds that serves Fruitopia.

However, I always love Eskamoes Frozen Custard in north Louisiana, and any restaurant I've never eaten at will be visited. I always get a large cup, since I collect large plastic fast food cups from different restaurants.

TheHighwayMan3561

I guess for me guilty pleasure implies something different. There are a couple of places that some of my close friends probably would not approve of me eating at...but I like good food, so...It does kind of enter my mind when I eat at those places if some freak thing happens and they find out and I get in trouble.  :pan:

Otherwise I just have no shame, and what's delicious is delicious with no guilt.  :sombrero:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

OracleUsr

Cracker Barrel sometimes wins out if my wife and I are in the mood for some healthy-food-be-damned cooking.  Personally, it's worth the wait if it's not too bad.

For the record, i am a type II diabetic.  It is all about moderation.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Dr Frankenstein

It used to be Denny's (doesn't exist in Quebec) and Dunkin' Donuts (barely exists in Canada due to Tim Horton's competition; seriously, I think there's only 4), now I got tired of both and don't really have one. Except for Bagger Dave's in Michigan and maybe Olive Garden elsewhere.

renegade

Quote from: vtk on August 04, 2015, 01:45:48 AM
Quote from: getemngo on August 03, 2015, 05:28:16 PM

Last I looked into it, Steak 'n' Shake had only one Michigan location.  Have they expanded there?

No, they have lots of locations in Michigan, at least according to their website.  I certainly hope the service is not as poor at the others as it is at the one nearest my house.  Last time I was there, it took over an hour to get a milkshake, and that was at one o'clock in the morning.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

briantroutman

Quote from: renegade on August 04, 2015, 01:51:35 PM
Last time I was there, it took over an hour to get a milkshake, and that was at one o'clock in the morning.

I think that's your problem right there. In my experience, fast food service is the absolute worst at odd hours like overnight and between shifts. I've typically gotten better service and better products when the stores are busy.

vtk

Quote from: briantroutman on August 04, 2015, 01:57:32 PM
Last time I was there, it took over an hour to get a milkshake, and that was at one o'clock in the morning.

I think that's your problem right there. In my experience, fast food service is the absolute worst at odd hours like overnight and between shifts. I've typically gotten better service and better products when the stores are busy.

As SnS is typically one of very few places one can dine in after midnight, it can actually be busiest around that time, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

Around here, SnS has very high employee turnover, and expectations for service are not high, but in my experience the service is adequate more often than not.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vtk on August 04, 2015, 02:07:15 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on August 04, 2015, 01:57:32 PM

I think that’s your problem right there. In my experience, fast food service is the absolute worst at odd hours like overnight and between shifts. I’ve typically gotten better service and better products when the stores are busy.

As SnS is typically one of very few places one can dine in after midnight, it can actually be busiest around that time, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

Around here, SnS has very high employee turnover, and expectations for service are not high, but in my experience the service is adequate more often than not.

Turnover is pretty high at all restaurants.  It's a rare day when I see a server that I've seen before in the same restaurant.

AsphaltPlanet

My guilty pleasure road food go-to is probably Wendy's.  Wendy's makes a very good fast food cheeseburger.  I recognize that they are everywhere, so this is kind of a boring choice, but that's probably my most frequent guilty pleasure restaurant.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

KEK Inc.

Whatever has 4 stars or above on Yelp.  Fast food makes me sick.
Take the road less traveled.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

How has no one mentioned Golden Corral? They serve sin in food form. What the hell do they put in those butter rolls? People always say that buffets are rip offs, but I'm happy paying for the *idea* of endless food. It's worth it to me.
I would also probably say chik fil a. The whole civil rights deal puts me off a bit, I'm not totally sure if I'm ok with giving to a company with those ideals. But their chicken is too delicious, and I'm too morally weak, so every time I'm down south I have to stop.

iPad

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on August 06, 2015, 12:06:00 AM
How has no one mentioned Golden Corral? They serve sin in food form. What the hell do they put in those butter rolls? People always say that buffets are rip offs, but I'm happy paying for the *idea* of endless food. It's worth it to me.

I just am immediately turned off by the "corral," the image of animals bring fattened for market.

Rothman

How has no one mentioned Golden Corral?

Because it is awful.  Very, very awful.

Agree with you about Chick-Fil-A, though.  Very yummy, but I'd hate to be grouped in with other customers that are overtly homophobic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

realjd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 06, 2015, 07:04:36 AM

I just am immediately turned off by the "corral," the image of animals bring fattened for market.

We call it the Golden Trough. Yuck.

My "guilty pleasure" restaurants when traveling are chain steakhouses like Texas Roadhouse or Outback. We never go to them at home because there are better local places to get steak, or I'll just cook one at home. When traveling though, I can always count on getting an inexpensive steak and cold beer sitting at the bar, and I can usually find one within a half mile of my hotel anywhere in the US. Oh, and blooming onions are awesome.

See also: PF Changs and Cantina Laredo, if I'm someplace that has them.

jeffandnicole

I would also probably say chik fil a. The whole civil rights deal puts me off a bit, I'm not totally sure if I'm ok with giving to a company with those ideals. But their chicken is too delicious, and I'm too morally weak, so every time I'm down south I have to stop.

iPad

They may have not been mentioned because a roadtrip 'guilty pleasure' depends on where people live.  For me, Chick-fil-A (a name that no one ever spells right) is 10 minutes away, so it's a normal option for dinner.  We had a Golden Correl about the same distance away as well, but it has since closed down. 

For me, Bojangles would be one, or Steak-n-Shake.  Sonic was one as well, until they opened some in NJ. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.