Black Bun Whoppers Causing Green Bowel Movements

Started by Brian556, October 07, 2015, 12:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I'm hearing that the Halloween black bun Whoppers at Burger King are causing green bowel movements.
Has anybody tried one yet?

Pete from Boston

What, no one ever ate a chocolate sugar cone?

txstateends

Quote from: Brian556 on October 07, 2015, 12:22:48 AM
I'm hearing that the Halloween black bun Whoppers at Burger King are causing green bowel movements.

I'm steering clear.  There's no telling what they do to make it look like that, and I've got an iffy stomach anyway.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Pete from Boston

Quote from: txstateends on October 07, 2015, 07:35:31 AM

I'm steering clear.  There's no telling what they do to make it look like that, and I've got an iffy stomach anyway.

You realize, of course, that fast food is bad for you even when you can't immediately see disturbing effect of it, right? It would be nice if this were a wake up call, but I really doubt that will be the case.

Brandon

If so, it's probably the food dye used in it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 07, 2015, 09:35:18 AM

You realize, of course, that fast food is bad for you even when you can't immediately see disturbing effect of it, right? It would be nice if this were a wake up call, but I really doubt that will be the case.
No offense, but can we please refrain from the all fast-food is bad for you mantra from this thread and focus on issue at hand?  A large cheesburger (similar to BK's Whopper) ordered at a conventional restaurant can be just as nutritionally bad for one as such from a fast-food place.

To my knowledge, this side-effect only involves one particular product/item in the Whopper line as opposed to Whoppers in general.

That said, I tried one out of curiosity (I was coming home late from work) and indeed had the above-effect.  Since I hadn't eaten beforehand since breakfast that day; it was very easy to put two-and-two together so to speak.  I experienced nothing else and the said-side-effect was gone within a day or two. 

Quote from: Brandon on October 07, 2015, 09:51:19 AMIf so, it's probably the food dye used in it.
I concurr.  Such an additive obviously doesn't fully digest.

Long story short; the side-effect is indeed real but it's just an annoyance.  It's no worse than somebody eating a standard Whopper.

That said, I probably won't order another one again; not just because of its odd side-effect but also, it wasn't really that much different than a standard Whopper.

The black-colored bun reminds me of when BK briefly offered green ketchup during the 1990s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jardine

I saw a Japanese burger (probably what inspired BK) that in addition to the black bun also had black cheese.  IIRC, the dye used was squid ink.

To say it looked revolting is quite an understatement.

roadman65

Has anybody ever used Peptol Bismal?  It goes in pink and goes out jet black.

Does anyone drink Mountain Dew?  It makes your wiz come out a real weird yellow.

Bottom line is all foods come out in one form or another a strange color.  What is new about this?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman65 on October 07, 2015, 10:29:06 AM
Has anybody ever used Peptol Bismal?  It goes in pink and goes out jet black.

Same end result if you binge eat Oreos.

Once upon a time, there was a song floating around the band/student section at Wisconsin games when we played Iowa (could also be appropriate for Nebraska):
Who really cares about the whole state of Iowa? The whole state of Iowa...the whole state of Iowa?
Who really cares about the whole state of Iowa? Who in the hell likes corn? It makes you poop funny.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Big John

J N Winkler

Even three Oreos will turn stools jet-black.  Though I like them, I rarely eat them because they compromise the diagnostic value of stools (black stools are one symptom of bleeding in the colon).

Spinach in quantity (in spinach soup, or in spinach cheese pie, both of which I make on occasion) will give stools a marked green tint.  I am more willing to tolerate this because it doesn't intefere with diagnosis and I like the taste of spinach.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

realjd

It's the purple/black dye they use. You'll have the same thing happen with most other dark purple or black colored food products. It's completely harmless.

empirestate

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 07, 2015, 12:10:25 PM
Even three Oreos will turn stools jet-black.  Though I like them, I rarely eat them because they compromise the diagnostic value of stools (black stools are one symptom of bleeding in the colon).

I can offer no response but to admire your commitment.  :clap:

iPhone

kurumi

Quote from: Jardine on October 07, 2015, 10:22:23 AM
I saw a Japanese burger (probably what inspired BK) that in addition to the black bun also had black cheese.  IIRC, the dye used was squid ink.

To say it looked revolting is quite an understatement.

You can get squid-ink rolls at 85 Degrees bakeries around here. They're pretty tasty: http://tiffinunboxed.com/post/75355580632/strangely-delicious-foods-85-cs-squid-ink-bread
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Those who been to parties and have consumed large quantities of hooch made with cherry Kool-Aid have probably noticed their stool turning a very bright red color the next day after said party.

Or so I've been told.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

If you time your Fruit Loops consumption well, you can manage a good multicolored poo. Ask around of your friends with young children; one of them will know what I'm talking about.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pete from Boston

Make a mental note when you eat beets so you avoid a panicked call to the doctor the next day.

Jardine

And in case you're wondering;

Shamrock shakes

Barium cocktail for a GI test can

Activated charcoal

Jaundice

can all have poop coloring effects. 

The 'Super B Complex' vitamins I take make my pee green.  When I jaundiced my pee turned brown, and I've also pee'd red when I had the bad E coli food poisoning.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 07, 2015, 09:59:15 AM

No offense, but can we please refrain from the all fast-food is bad for you mantra from this thread and focus on issue at hand?  A large cheesburger (similar to BK's Whopper) ordered at a conventional restaurant can be just as nutritionally bad for one as such from a fast-food place.

Actually it was a direct response to someone expressing concern for their stomach given this development; heavily grease-laden foods don't bode well for anyone's placid digestion no matter the dye. 

However, the dye can certainly be an effective marker of which foodstuff is causing the intestinal offense.

noelbotevera

Meh. The strangest thing is that I've had something as bad as I believe (I think) purple poop before. This ain't new.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Brian556

Quote from JN Winkler:
QuoteEven three Oreos will turn stools jet-black.  Though I like them, I rarely eat them because they compromise the diagnostic value of stools (black stools are one symptom of bleeding in the colon).

This really sounds like something Sheldon would say.

kphoger

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 07, 2015, 04:55:39 PM

Actually it was a direct response to someone expressing concern for their stomach given this development; heavily grease-laden foods don't bode well for anyone's placid digestion no matter the dye. 

However, the dye can certainly be an effective marker of which foodstuff is causing the intestinal offense.

You missed the point. A greasy burger from a fast food restaurant is no less healthy than a greasy burger from a local mom-and-pop diner or other non-fast establishment. Fast food is just the delivery method.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

lepidopteran

Doesn't the "monster cereal" known as Boo Berry have a similar reputation?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kphoger on October 07, 2015, 06:01:04 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 07, 2015, 04:55:39 PM

You missed the point. A greasy burger from a fast food restaurant is no less healthy than a greasy burger from a local mom-and-pop diner or other non-fast establishment. Fast food is just the delivery method.

I didn't, actually.  That point was tangential.  This topic is about fast food.  There are lots of foods that will easily upset an "iffy stomach."  Fast food, tending mainly to be greasy crap, is going to be one regardless of the dyes.  Whether other foods do this (including mom-and-pop fast food/burgers/etc.) doesn't change that reality.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.