News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: US71 on July 25, 2020, 07:43:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2020, 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 24, 2020, 07:08:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2020, 11:51:18 AM
https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article244429392.html#storylink=sectionheadlines

https://cbs12.com/news/local/i-team-deaths-incorrectly-attributed-to-covid-19-in-palm-beach-county?fbclid=IwAR3qMOusmGuhNDr1KcXYqs_FMayemQHABKWgW3WvbZO-8nEKaZPHYqK2dKY

See why so many are rightfully skeptical of what's being fed to us?

http://kentuckyvalleyviews.blogspot.com/2020/07/reasons-for-healthy-skepticism.html

Sigh

Already showed why this was bogus and how COVID deaths are actually being undercounted.

But yeah. Keep clinging to the info you want.

You get factual examples of deaths being misreported, and you still keep clinging to the info YOU want.

Who decides which numbers are correct? The CDC had their authority stripped by Trump  cuz, you know, those numbers make him look bad.
Putin will publish correct numbers before the election. Those would probably be the most accurate numbers one would get.

On a more serious note - there will be some census estimates, public records estimates etc.
Actually there are pretty good estimates of the number of excess deaths. I posted NYC numbers before, someone had US totals. Looks like number of excess deaths exceeds number of COVID reported deaths by a factor of 1.5-2.
And it is impossible to argue with having those excess numbers - footage of refrigeration trailers and mass graves in NYC is out there.
Yes, there are errors reported both ways. These days autopsy is out of favor with families, and doctors certainly have better things to do. Finding a couple of mistakes (or couple hundred of mistakes) proves pretty much nothing.

wxfree

At least one place in south Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley, has set up ethics committees, death panels, in case they have to decide which patients to let die.  They've been shipping ICU patients all over Texas and to Oklahoma City.  It's a very hard hit area.  And today they got hit by a hurricane.  I've read about giant jellyfish in the Atlantic, and a plague of locusts, I think in India.  It makes me wonder which chapter of Revelation will be playing tomorrow.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kalvado

Quote from: wxfree on July 25, 2020, 08:55:42 PM
At least one place in south Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley, has set up ethics committees, death panels, in case they have to decide which patients to let die.  They've been shipping ICU patients all over Texas and to Oklahoma City.  It's a very hard hit area.  And today they got hit by a hurricane.  I've read about giant jellyfish in the Atlantic, and a plague of locusts, I think in India.  It makes me wonder which chapter of Revelation will be playing tomorrow.
locusts are raging in eastern Africa.

Scott5114

At least one place in south Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley, has set up ethics committees, death panels, in case they have to decide which patients to let die.  They've been shipping ICU patients all over Texas and to Oklahoma City.

And Oklahoma City is shipping patients to Lawton and Wichita Falls. It's getting bad all over the south plains.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

The end times are near.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 25, 2020, 10:31:56 PM
The end times are near.

if there's not an "END" sign to take a picture of i'm gonna be so damn pissed
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

In the US as a whole, we have been losing 1,000 or more a day since last Tuesday (July 21).  We were last over that threshold between April 2 and June 3 inclusive, a period of about two months.  I am afraid it may take longer for the death rate to go back down this time since we are doing less to limit spread (mostly mandatory mask orders, with bar closures in some areas) and a younger population is affected, which I think will result in fatal cases taking longer to play out.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2020, 10:59:44 PM
The end times are near.

if there's not an "END" sign to take a picture of i'm gonna be so damn pissed

I want to know what kind of shield it'll have.  I've never seen anything above Interstate.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

tolbs17

Looks like the US is peaking at 65,000 cases. Is this the last wave?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 26, 2020, 03:47:09 AM

Should we use a Magic 8 ball?

GaryV

"Reply hazy, ask again"

"Cannot predict now"

"Ask again later"

Roadgeekteen

Haven't we passed 70K cases?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 26, 2020, 10:27:13 AM
Haven't we passed 70K cases?

65,000 is the 7-day average.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

tradephoric

Quote from: tradephoric on May 15, 2020, 12:06:57 PM
QuoteCalifornia coronavirus deaths hit stubborn plateau; experts fearful about future
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-11/california-coronavirus-deaths-have-reached-stubborn-plateau

"If we were to see the kind of spike that's predicted in that model, that would be extraordinarily worrisome,"  said Barbara Ferrer, director of public health for Los Angeles County, which so far has seen 56% of all of California's coronavirus deaths despite being home to one-quarter of the state's population.

If the model's projections became reality, Ferrer said that would result in an even slower reopening of society in L.A. County or force the nation's most populous county to reimplement stricter stay-at-home measures. L.A. County implemented its first major easing of stay-at-home measures on Friday, allowing some retail businesses to open for curbside pickup, and plans to reopen beaches for active recreation this week.

Right now California is reporting nearly as many daily deaths as New York even as an influential model is forecasting that California will see a large increases in projected cumulative deaths by August.  This has led to LA County to extend their lock down measures for another 3 months.  But if California is unable to lower the daily deaths, what good are the current lock down orders doing?  A state could average 1000 deaths per day for 18 days (think New York) or a state could average 100 deaths per day for the next 6 months (think California).  Overall the deaths are the same.

California is about to surpass Massachusetts to become the state with the 3rd most Covid-19 deaths.  California was the earliest state to lock-down and imposed some of the strictest lock-down measures yet they are still seeing their daily deaths rising.  The story of the tortoise and the hare continues, but California is slowly becoming the hare as their daily deaths ramp up despite of all the states measures taken to try to contain the virus. 

The good news for the country is that once California sees their big outbreak, all 5 major states will have gone through the pandemic (CA, NY, FL, TX, PA).  Maybe once the last big regional outbreak occurs in California over the coming months, things can start to return to normal. 

nexus73

The end times are near.

"Murder hornets" from Japan are present in Whatcom County WA.  They kinda-sorta sound like the bugs described in Revelations. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

tradephoric

Currently Australia has reported 155 COVID-19 deaths.  But the country has only reported 36 flu related deaths this year compared to 430 during the same period last year (or 394 fewer flu deaths).  So while the coronavirus has cost 155 Australian lives, it may have saved 394 lives due to the social distancing and mask wearing measures taken to fight the coronavirus.  It can be argued that during this worldwide pandemic that lives have been saved in Australia.

Flu deaths drop in Australia as coronavirus restrictions save hundreds of lives
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-23/coronavirus-restrictions-cause-flu-cases-to-drop-australia/12480190

Max Rockatansky

Seems the new Planet of the Apes movies were onto something with the whole pandemic angle:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/safari-park-baboons-knives-chainsaw-160316231.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tradephoric on July 26, 2020, 12:04:50 PM
Currently Australia has reported 155 COVID-19 deaths.  But the country has only reported 36 flu related deaths this year compared to 430 during the same period last year (or 394 fewer flu deaths).  So while the coronavirus has cost 155 Australian lives, it may have saved 394 lives due to the social distancing and mask wearing measures taken to fight the coronavirus.  It can be argued that during this worldwide pandemic that lives have been saved in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-23/coronavirus-restrictions-cause-flu-cases-to-drop-australia/12480190
I wish I lived in Australia.

kalvado

Quote from: tradephoric on July 26, 2020, 12:04:50 PM

On a similar note, number of deaths from 8nfections in Asia dropped for a few years after SARS: people were washing hand religiously... I wonder if any effect would be observed in US after all this.

tradephoric

New York State has seen a 99% reduction in daily deaths going from reporting 1,000 daily deaths in April to under 10 daily deaths today.  Looking at citywide data, NYCs massive drop in deaths is similar to the massive drop in death Philadelphia experienced during the 1918 pandemic.  Luckily Philadelphia didn't see a second wave and hopefully NYC will track their curve. 

This is a great chart looking at the curves of various US cities during the Spanish Flu and how social distancing measures affected the death rates.  I'd argue 2020 LA is comparable to 1918 LA - where the city has a flatter curve (compared to 2020 NYC or 1918 Philly) but the multiple lock-downs extend the curve out for a longer duration.   It's interesting to look at how Kansas City had extended lock down measures but still had a higher death rate than Baltimore (which had a similar curve to Philly).  However, the case studies always focus on the comparison of Philadelphia to St. Louis when demonstrating the importance of lock-downs.  It appears California is leaning towards locking down for the remainder of 2020 while NYC can largely move on from this pandemic (just like Philly did back in 1918).

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2020, 04:33:34 PM
Shhh. Officially verified by a state health agency:

https://www.freedomfoundation.com/washington/washington-health-officials-gunshot-victims-counted-as-covid-19-deaths/

https://mynorthwest.com/1889564/rantz-gun-shot-victims-washington-coronavirus-deaths/?

And this was back in the spring, before other incidents came to light.

People who know very little about the medical field and get all of their news from politically-biased sites would be likely to see this as some sort of government conspiracy. The reality is that even gunshot victims, underlying health conditions can impact whether the victims survives or dies. Breathing problems caused by COVID-19, even if not severe enough to cause death on their own, could very easily make it harder to survive a trauma like a gunshot wound, so it definitely can be a contributing factor.

A state deciding to unilaterally count every single death of a COVID-positive person as a COVID-related death instead of relying on the individual coroners sounds like an overreach, but when you're talking about handful of deaths out of 150K nationally, it's not going to bias the numbers enough to impact anything.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kalvado on July 25, 2020, 07:51:31 PM
On a more serious note - there will be some census estimates, public records estimates etc.
Actually there are pretty good estimates of the number of excess deaths. I posted NYC numbers before, someone had US totals. Looks like number of excess deaths exceeds number of COVID reported deaths by a factor of 1.5-2.
And it is impossible to argue with having those excess numbers - footage of refrigeration trailers and mass graves in NYC is out there.
Yes, there are errors reported both ways. These days autopsy is out of favor with families, and doctors certainly have better things to do. Finding a couple of mistakes (or couple hundred of mistakes) proves pretty much nothing.

I would love to see a basic comparison of
1) Reported US COVID death totals
2) Total number of US deaths to date in 2020 - Avg number of US deaths to date for the previous 5 years

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tradephoric on July 24, 2020, 11:58:52 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2020, 11:24:38 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 11:24:10 AM
Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 11:21:22 AM
What BS?  The virus?  The preventive measures?  The political hype?

All of it.

Sweden has done a very good job at dealing with the virus. Look at these graphs:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden
America is not Sweden.

Michigan is Sweden:

-Michigan and Sweden have nearly identical populations. 
-Michigan and Sweden have similar covid deaths (6,395 in Michigan vs. 5,676 deaths in Sweden).
-Michigan and Sweden both saw recent upticks in daily cases without a corresponding increase in deaths.
-Michigan and Sweden were both hit hard by the virus in the Spring. 
-Michigan and Sweden have similar looking daily death curves.

The major difference between Michigan and Sweden is population density.  Michigan's population density is far higher than Sweden's, so everything else being equal, Michigan's death rate should be much higher. It isn't, which suggests that Sweden's approach (no total lockdown, not even for a couple weeks) may not have been the best one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.