News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The largest cities in the U.S. (2009)

Started by golden eagle, July 18, 2010, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

I'm well aware of it.  And we're not the first city in the US to register a net loss of populaton over a century - I think there were cities that lost people between 1900 and 2000 (Saint Louis, perhaps?)
Lower population does not always equate to decline:  there are neighborhoods here where houses that in the late 19th century were tenements with many families in them are now multi-million-dollar houses with a single family (or couple, or individual) living in them.  The portion of Philadelphia known as Center City (the area that fell within the pre-1854 city limits) had a population of 120,000 in 1850 and far less now.  But it's a better place to live (adjusting of course for the different living standards of different time periods).

I assume someone has posted this upthread, but just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_cities_in_the_United_States_by_population_by_decade

RIP Dad 1924-2012.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.