IDOT to permit transport of hay on interstates

Started by Lyon Wonder, September 01, 2012, 01:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

Restrictions that ban farmers from transporting hay on interstates in Illinois are lifted for the rest of 2012 until Dec 31.   

http://www.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=1&RecNum=10536

SPRINGFIELD — Illinois Transportation Secretary Ann L. Schneider today announced a new policy which allows farmers and other agriculture industry workers to transport hay loads of up to 12 feet in width on all state routes, including interstates. The 2012 summer drought adversely affected the production of hay due to pasture conditions, and this action will significantly improve efficiency in the processing and transportation of hay throughout Illinois. Previously, farmers were permitted to transport hay loads up to 12 feet in width on state roadways, but did not include the use of interstates.

"Coming from a farming community, I understand the severe challenges and unpredictability the weather can have on the overall production demands of the agricultural industry,"  said Secretary Schneider. "This crucial temporary change in policy equips farmers and truck operators with a special opportunity to cut transportation costs and travel times throughout the remaining harvesting season."

A copy of the official authorization must be in possession of the operator as they move hay loads and will need to be available upon request by law enforcement or the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). In addition, vehicle owners and operators would take responsibility for any damage caused directly or indirectly by the movement. All loads more than 8 feet 6 inches in width, allowed during specific time periods, must display an operable oscillating, rotating, or flashing amber lights. "Oversize load"  signs are mandatory on the front and rear of all vehicles with loads over 10 feet in width.

"The Department of Agriculture appreciates and fully supports efforts such as this to assist our farmers during this prolonged drought and early harvest season,"  Acting Director of Agriculture Bob Flider said.

This authorization is effective immediately and expires December 31, 2012. To access IDOT's official notice or to view additional guidelines of this opportunity, please visit http://www.dot.il.gov/road/overweight.html

JREwing78

Interesting that there's apparently a strong safety reason for keeping hay off interstate highways (otherwise, why have such a policy to begin with?), but that the economic conditions dictate temporarily allowing it.

And, it's OK to haul hay on a expressway or non-Interstate freeway at posted speeds, but not an Interstate (which often has the same posted speeds)?

I don't get the purpose of having a temporary change in policy. Either it's safe to do (in which case it should be allowed all the time), or it's not (in which case this is putting highway safety at risk to pander to the farming community).

hbelkins

If there is such a prohibition in Kentucky, I am unaware of it. I see trucks hauling hay all the time on all classifications of roads, including interstates.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

So, basically, trucks can be trucks for the rest of the year.  Makes total sense to me.  What was dangerous about hauling hay on the Interstate before, assuming they kept over the 40 mph minimum?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2012, 01:46:55 PM
So, basically, trucks can be trucks for the rest of the year.  Makes total sense to me.  What was dangerous about hauling hay on the Interstate before, assuming they kept over the 40 mph minimum?

45 mph minimum in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Perhaps the fact that hay can easily come off, requiring more frequent cleanup?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on September 01, 2012, 08:16:52 PM
45 mph minimum in Illinois.

Really?  Dang, it's been too long.

Quote from: NE2 on September 01, 2012, 08:49:34 PM
Perhaps the fact that hay can easily come off, requiring more frequent cleanup?
[img

That's what straps and tarps are for, not prohibitions.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

You still have individual pieces of hay come off.  Bad enough that most trucks pepper my car with debris, but to have some contaminate the pristine road surface with pieces of hay?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JREwing78

Quote from: deanej on September 02, 2012, 12:29:54 PM
You still have individual pieces of hay come off.  Bad enough that most trucks pepper my car with debris, but to have some contaminate the pristine road surface with pieces of hay?

:confused:

:-D :-D :-D :-D

You ever been to Illinois?

Brandon

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 02, 2012, 04:40:29 PM

:confused:

:-D :-D :-D :-D

You ever been to Illinois?

The hay and the road surface are the least of your worries with all the FIBs around.  :ded:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2012, 07:37:06 PM
The hay and the road surface are the least of your worries with all the FIBs around.  :ded:
Fucking Illinois... Brandons?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 02, 2012, 08:06:03 PM
Hey, we're trying to cut down on cursing in this forum. The "B" word is right out.

Special K

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 01, 2012, 07:43:57 AM
I don't get the purpose of having a temporary change in policy. Either it's safe to do (in which case it should be allowed all the time), or it's not (in which case this is putting highway safety at risk to pander to the farming community).

It's generally not as safe, thus the temporary nature of the policy.  Changes in policy are common in times of emergency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on September 02, 2012, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 02, 2012, 08:06:03 PM
Hey, we're trying to cut down on cursing in this forum. The "B" word is right out.

okay, I'll bite... what's the B word, given the implication that it is so much worse than the F word? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Oh, yeah, that hay is a killer!  :rolleyes:  I ran over a stalk the other day and had to replace both front tires.   :crazy:  Then, just yesterday, I hit a small pile of dirt and now I need a new tie rod.   :-D
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 04, 2012, 11:54:30 AM
okay, I'll bite... what's the B word, given the implication that it is so much worse than the F word? 
Beetaggers.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on September 04, 2012, 04:10:10 PM

Beetaggers.

hey now, you don't have B-word privilege.  you've gotta be a beetagger to be allowed to call other people a beetagger.

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2012, 04:03:30 PM

Oh, yeah, that hay is a killer!  :rolleyes:  I ran over a stalk the other day and had to replace both front tires.   :crazy:  Then, just yesterday, I hit a small pile of dirt and now I need a new tie rod.   :-D
The problem is that i's not one stalk of hay.  The last time I was behind a truck like that, it was similar to driving in a snow storm.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Again.....
Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2012, 08:14:22 AM
That's what straps and tarps are for, not prohibitions.

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to require full-surface tarps than to prohibit the turck altogether?
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I suspect it's just Kaldor-Hicks efficient to require straps only, not tarps--in other words, the rest of us will have to tolerate the nuisance because the losses to the hay haulers of having to use full tarps would be greater than the sum of the gains accruing to each of us individually from not having to deal with loose hay on the highway.

(I just finished a six-day, 2000-mile drive in Colorado and New Mexico, so the hay nuisance is very fresh in my mind.  A prohibition on hauling hay on Interstates would have been of no benefit to me on this trip, however, because the only two Interstates I used were I-235 and I-25 and I was not on either for more than 30 miles.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

I don't mind hay haulers nearly as much as the gravel haulers out here who can't be bothered to cover their load with a tarp, but apparently have paid off enough senators and lawyers that they have legal immunity if they simply put a sign on the back of the trailer that says "we chip windshields.  fuck you."

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 06, 2012, 01:59:03 PM
I suspect it's just Kaldor-Hicks efficient to require straps only, not tarps--in other words, the rest of us will have to tolerate the nuisance because the losses to the hay haulers of having to use full tarps would be greater than the sum of the gains accruing to each of us individually from not having to deal with loose hay on the highway.

(I just finished a six-day, 2000-mile drive in Colorado and New Mexico, so the hay nuisance is very fresh in my mind.  A prohibition on hauling hay on Interstates would have been of no benefit to me on this trip, however, because the only two Interstates I used were I-235 and I-25 and I was not on either for more than 30 miles.)

But the prohibition stands as a general rule, only with the current exception.  Surely (using your favorite word) the losses to any given hay hauler would be amortized over time?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 06, 2012, 02:17:18 PM
I don't mind hay haulers nearly as much as the gravel haulers out here who can't be bothered to cover their load with a tarp, but apparently have paid off enough senators and lawyers that they have legal immunity if they simply put a sign on the back of the trailer that says "we chip windshields.  fuck you."

"Not responsible for vehicle damage" isn't legally true. They just put that there to try to get you to stay back to limit their liability.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2012, 03:58:33 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 06, 2012, 02:17:18 PM

"Not responsible for vehicle damage" isn't legally true. They just put that there to try to get you to stay back to limit their liability.

Kind of like parents signing that they agree not to sue the school if their kid dies on a field trip.
"Well, sorry, but you DID sign this piece of paper here."
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on September 06, 2012, 02:26:54 PMBut the prohibition stands as a general rule, only with the current exception.  Surely (using your favorite word) the losses to any given hay hauler would be amortized over time?

If the scenario you are talking about is one in which hay haulers are banned from Interstates unless they use tarps, then I am not sure how amortization would happen, since putting on and taking off a tarp are recurrent costs.  I am not even sure that the typical length of haul for a hay load is long enough for the cumulative annoyance of drivers (which we can estimate to be proportional to the hay that is lost, say a set mass per mile due to wind buffeting) to exceed the time and motion costs of laying and then removing a tarp.

As Jake points out, hay is intrinsically less troublesome than gravel and other heavy materials which can do actual damage to vehicle bodies.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.