Restaurant Chains that closed some markets and are much alive in others

Started by roadman65, September 28, 2012, 05:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

QuoteLong John Silvers purposely hates NJ for some reason and will not open a store there spite KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut are in the Garden State that are also owned by Pepsi.  An employee of the Long Johns in Wilson, PA told my aunt that LJS refused to pay the high taxes that NJ has and therefore would not cross the Delaware River.  Then why are their sister stores paying NJ taxes?

LOL at this corporate hypocrisy. There was an A&W and Long John Silvers about a mile and a half from me, if that. (It has since closed up.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2012, 02:25:33 PM
This area was Frisch's Big Boy territory. Shoney's came in several years ago and it confused people that two different restaurants had the Big Boy mascot.

There was a lawsuit about this and it is pretty much what caused the end of the original Big Boy chain.  Big Boy was an early form of franchising, and the varrious Big Boy restaurants were different from one another.    Mostly broken up by state lines.  At the peak, there were about 20 different ones.  Marriott owned the actual brand name (and owned the rights on toll roads, no matter what state.  Some of the original deals were sweetheart deals (Frisch's and Shoney's only paid $1/year per state).   Shoney's, which had most of the south, expanded into Kentucky and Ohio as "Shoney's Town & Country".  Elby's, which had western Pennsylvania and northern WV, went into Ohio as just "Elby's".  Same food, except no Big Boy statue and the sandwich was just the "large hamburger". 

Frisch's sued and won, and Shoney's and Elby's gave up the Big Boy rights in order to stay in Ohio.    Eventually most of the others did as well.    Marriott eventually sold off the rights to the Michigan franchisee, Elias Brothers, subject to the rights of the only remaining other franchisee, Frisch's.  Elias Brothers then promptly went broke.  In the bankruptcy, the rights to Big Boy were bought by a venture capital bunch that is trying to rebuild the chain, again subject to Frisch's $1/year franchise in its Cincinnati centered opperation. 

Today the Frisch's and the just plain Big Boy remain unrelated joint owners of the trademark.

txstateends

Dairy Queen - still a few here and there around north TX, but there are many chains around there so I guess it's doing good to stick around the places it's still in; several along US 287 between DFW and Amarillo closed a few years ago (franchisee problems, I think).  Still a staple in many small towns and probably still popular with the coffee/gossip crowd and the after-high-school-football-game crowd.

Jack in the Box - many have been in the urban areas, but some locations have popped up in recent years in smaller TX markets.  Still holding their own despite a wealth of fast food choices in north TX.

Whataburger - longtime regional favorite in urban and medium-sized TX markets for the most part.  Most all have food available overnight in their drive-thru.  I still like them, but they've screwed up more drive-thru orders for me than any other chain.

Carl's Jr. / Hardee's - there have been spotty Hardee's locations around TX.  Quite a few in Amarillo when I was there, but I think they're gone from there now.  The only Carl's I'd sampled prior to recent years was in a couple of area Love's truck stops -- pretty good, but you definitely need some napkins around.  In the last few years, Carl's has decided to add to their TX business beyond their Love's presence.  The one nearest me does a pretty fair business along a street with *many* choices.

Wendy's - still a presence in north TX, not sure how well they're all doing, again with many choices around.  I've only seen a couple or 3 close in the area IIRR.

McDonald's - as strong as they are in TX, it would probably take a lone-star-sized e.coli outbreak to cut into their business at this rate.  Many franchisees have dolled-up their locations in recent years, while others are going the more recent trend of that yellow-curved front facade and adding multiple-laned drive thrus.  I never go there anymore.

Taco Cabana - the few I've seen do really well and I think they're still growing in the area and in other parts of TX.  The one nearest me just got a nice remodel.  It's a rare 24/7 dine-in and drive-thru which is a nice choice if you work or are up odd hours like me.

Del Taco - used to be in north and east TX in the mid-1980s, then >poof< they left.  Didn't think I'd see them around TX again, but in recent years the company has looked to TX once more.  I finally got a taste of the returned version several weeks ago, and it was great to have them back.  I'm pretty sure the menu has changed somewhat since the 1980s but at least it's another choice besides Taco Smell.

Long John Silver's - there were quite a few in north TX back in the day, but they have slowly faded in importance.  The ownership changes probably helped and took away from the chain at the same time.  I haven't eaten there since they got spun back off.  There aren't many left from when they multi-branded with their former fellow Yum! restauarant brands.  I'm not even sure where the nearest one is to me now.  Wow, could I go for some fish and hush puppies right about now, but oh well.

In-n-Out - I haven't gotten to go to one yet since they've arrived in north TX.  They've gotten past the point of long lines and needing police help with directing traffic.  I've only gotten to eat one meal from them; a hotel guest brought me an order to thank me for getting him a room with a good rate.  It was all right I guess, the fries were very greasy but the burger wasn't a turn-down.  I'll have to try them when I have a chance to visit one to get a fresh meal and see how it is warm.  Don't know if they're in north TX for the long haul or not.

Krystal - they were another out-of-market chain that needed help directing traffic when they first came to north TX.  The only one I've been to didn't have anyone at the front counter for over 15 minutes.  By far the worst service I've seen at a fast food place in the area.  That one has since closed and is now a Carl's location.  I'm not sure there are any Krystal locations left in north TX.

Steak 'n Shake - another big splash followed by quiet.  At least 2 or 3 have closed that I know of, and for a while none of the ones by me were open overnight, now the one by my job is open overnight again.  I've eaten there once, costs too much for what you get.

Sonic - still doing very well around north TX.  The only ones I've ever seen closed up were ones replaced by another one nearby, or were in bad neighborhoods.  The ones I see regularly are busy.  For a few years the ones in Amarillo >poofed< and became "Stars" (local version with green/white/yellow paintjob instead of the red/black/white that they had when they were Sonics).  A few years later, after I'd left Amarillo, Sonic returned with several locations even though the Stars/ex-Sonic ones were still there.

Subway - growing like weeds around north TX.  There are 4 in the mile-or-2 radius from where I live.  Big favorite chain among the multi-brand locations (gas stations, some Walmart stores).  Rare to see one close.

Braum's - regional chain from OK that has a presence in north/NE TX and the panhandle.  Even though they're not the only game in town, I don't see them going away any time soon.  Most all their food originates from their OK farms (lots of dairy cows--all their own herd, they make their own ice creams, cones and some other items), plus they have a separate "fresh market" section (produce, meats, breads, etc) which really is a departure from most fast food places.

Burger King - still somewhat of a presence in north TX, but they've closed more than they've opened.  There is one near me that does some business but isn't close to busy at all.  Some franchised locations east of Dallas have closed with no replacements.  If they want more business around here, they're going to have to open more locations with better promotions.  Too many choices around north TX otherwise.

Luby's - cafeteria chain that has *dramatically* scaled back in north TX and corporately in recent years.  Still around, but not as easy to find.

Furr's - another cafeteria that has shrunk but is still around.  Some newer and remodeled ones have popped up in north TX in recent years with the "Fresh Buffet" tagline (I guess to try to not sound like a cafeteria).

Bennigan's / Steak & Ale - this outcome was a surprise to me.  The parent company (based in north TX) completely went under in the last few years.  I guess the recession hit some chains harder than others.  Really strange to see all the Steak & Ales gone.  In a strange twist, all the corporate Bennigan's closed, but the franchised ones somehow were able to keep going without their longtime parent company.  In DFW, this affected all but 2 locations.  Now a new corporate structure is in place for Bennigan's and they are planning new locations for the first time in a while.  A monte cristo looks to be in my future again, after all.

Arthur Treacher's - someone up the thread mentioned them, and it reminded me of the one time I've been to one.  They used to be in the food court of a now-gone north Dallas mall; pretty good IIRR.  I'm not sure how many locations they ever had around north TX, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any around for a while.

Dunkin Donuts - there were a few in north TX historically, but here and there.  In recent years, probably in response to other market success with coffee sales up against Starbucks, the company said they wanted more locations in TX.  Since the recession, there hasn't been near as many openings as forecast, but a new recent franchise deal with Jerry Jones and Troy Aikman seems to have given some life to the TX plans.  Not sure how many there will be in the long term.  The one location I see irregularly has TONS of traffic, especially the drive thru.

Krispy Kreme - yet another big splash a few years ago.  Corporately and regionally they apparently realized what may be popular where they originated doesn't always translate to other locations, even though there are still a few places around north TX.  What doesn't get served in a restaurant can be found boxed in several area convenience stores.  In Amarillo, they completely underestimated the market for donuts there.  A big Krispy Kreme location opened with the big kitchen (complete with "fresh donuts NOW" sign) a few years ago, and didn't last a year or 2.  Locals continued to support existing local chain Donut Stop and didn't give Krispy Kreme much of a try.

There are still others represented in north TX, but I need to stop typing now and eat something  :cool:
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: txstateends on September 29, 2012, 05:17:33 PM

Furr's - another cafeteria that has shrunk but is still around.  Some newer and remodeled ones have popped up in north TX in recent years with the "Fresh Buffet" tagline (I guess to try to not sound like a cafeteria).

That markets itself as "Furr's Family Dining". I haven't been inside the one here in Pueblo. Long long ago I used to eat at one in Albuquerque; they actually featured a pianist for your listening pleasure while you ate your canned green beans. (Music about as bland as the vegetables). Furr's also had a grocery chain in New Mexico, and I would think Texas, in the 1970s.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 29, 2012, 04:32:53 PM
QuoteLong John Silvers purposely hates NJ for some reason and will not open a store there spite KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut are in the Garden State that are also owned by Pepsi.  An employee of the Long Johns in Wilson, PA told my aunt that LJS refused to pay the high taxes that NJ has and therefore would not cross the Delaware River.  Then why are their sister stores paying NJ taxes?

LOL at this corporate hypocrisy. There was an A&W and Long John Silvers about a mile and a half from me, if that. (It has since closed up.)

IIRC, Yum sold LJS and A&W.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Advertisement for a Frischs Big Boy in Delaware, Ohio from 1958.

Anyone remember Burger Chef?

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Yes, I remember Burger Chef. I think they had the first char-broiled burger I ever ate at a fast food joint.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 29, 2012, 02:04:20 PM
* Hardees seems to have pulled outside of Chicagoland

* I've heard Ponderosa pulled out of Chicagoland.

* Krispy Kreme is down to two locations in Chicagoland, but the one on Devon east of I-290 may not exist much longer; the lot it is located on is for sale.

Yes, Ponderosa is gone from Chicagoland.  Last one I've see nearby is in LaPorte, Indiana.

Krispy Kreme overexpanded and much too fast.

Hardee's has been gone from Chicagoland for years.  The local franchisee here in Will County sold out in 1996 or so.  IIRC, they're in Kankakee.

Supervalu is under assault in Chicagoland (as Jewel) because their prices are too flipping high.  Even Dominick's (Safeway) is cheaper.  That doesn't mean that WalMart is getting any more of the pie though.  There are a bunch of local grocers as well as Kroger's Food4Less and Meijer that have been making inroads.  Me, I bypass the Jewel and go up to the nearest Meijer.  Prices are better (comparable with WalMart) than Jewel, and the product quality and selection is far superior to WalMart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 28, 2012, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: deanej on September 28, 2012, 10:04:17 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2012, 09:41:25 PM
Noticed that someone mentioned Krispy Kreme. I know they expanded quite a bit at one time but have scaled back. They used to have a location in Bowling Green, Ky.; no more.
They're pretty much gone in NY as well; I think they're down to just one store in NYC.  The seem to be doing better in other states though.

Last one left in all of New England is at Mohegan Sun.  Came and went in 2 years.  I remember news stories about lines for 2 miles waiting for Krispy Kremes, and poof, in a year they were gone.  They didn't last because it's Dunkin's home turf.

Other one that have come and gone in the Northeast: Long John Silver's and Arthur Treacher's were big in the late 70's/early 80's, disappeared, made a comeback in the late 90's, and now seem to exist sparsely, and only paired with Taco Bell in a couple of spots.  Also know of only 2 Roy Rogers left in New England when there used to be about 10 in CT alone.  And of course, Tim Horton's has pulled out of the Northeast, which I miss the Del's Lemonade being available there (ironically, one of the chains it replaced, Bess Eaton, has resurrected itself in South County, RI).

The only Krispy Kreme in NYC that I'm aware of is in Penn Station.

Tim Horton's pulled out of Connecticut. I know there's still one at the Westgate Shopping Plaza on Congress Street in Portland, ME.

The only Roy Rogers remaining in New England is off of Exit 1 of I-84 in Sturbridge, MA. RR locations in North Haven and Newington, CT were converted to Arby's. Another former RR in Manchester, CT is now something like India Kitchen.

txstateends

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 29, 2012, 07:48:15 PM
Furr's also had a grocery chain in New Mexico, and I would think Texas, in the 1970s.

Actually, into the 1980s/early 1990s in west TX, later than that in NM.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on September 29, 2012, 10:34:35 PM
Hardee's has been gone from Chicagoland for years.  The local franchisee here in Will County sold out in 1996 or so.  IIRC, they're in Kankakee.

I'm not finding the Kankakee location online, but there's a Hardees at the first service area on the Indiana Toll Road heading eastbound, two in the Racine area, one off I-55 in Dwight, and supposedly a couple near Rockford.

roadman65

Hardees seemed to disappear from the Orlando market.  I miss them as they did have awesome fried chicken.

I also remember them being in the NYC area back in the 70s when they had once a famous commercial with a young kid singing "Hurry on down to Hardees where the burgers are charcoal broiled" play on the radio and TV. 

White Castles closed in the Kansas City area, but remain strong in their other markets.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mdcastle

The "new" Zantigo is limited to the Minneapolis area, and was started by former managers of the "old" chain. The "old" Zantigo eventually came under the control of Pepsi, who also owned Taco Bell. Most of the old locations seem to have been pulled down and replaced by Taco Bell's current prototype, one of the last ones was shut down for the new MN 13 / CSAH 5 interchange. THey were distinctive because the dining area was off to the side, rather than in front.

SP Cook

To clear up the PepsiCo restaurant thing.  PepsiCo, the parent of Pepsi, was made up of three main companies.  The soda company, Frito-Lay, and the restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell).  It signed a 99 year agreement to serve Pepsi and spun the restaurant division off as Yum Brands Inc.  Yum then bought A&W and LJS.  But it has since sold these two brands back off, because they did not fit with their Asia centric expansion plans.

In any event franchising companies don't pay state taxes, the franchisees do.  For example, in my area the McDonald's are all owned by a local businessman under his company "McAttack WV".  McAttack WV pays state taxes.  McDonald's really has no presence in the state and pays no state tax.  Iowa tried to tax franchising companies and they took it to the Supreme Court, which ruled (correctly) that states cannot tax companies that do not do business there.

roadman65

Quote from: SP Cook on September 30, 2012, 08:20:22 AM
To clear up the PepsiCo restaurant thing.  PepsiCo, the parent of Pepsi, was made up of three main companies.  The soda company, Frito-Lay, and the restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell).  It signed a 99 year agreement to serve Pepsi and spun the restaurant division off as Yum Brands Inc.  Yum then bought A&W and LJS.  But it has since sold these two brands back off, because they did not fit with their Asia centric expansion plans.

In any event franchising companies don't pay state taxes, the franchisees do.  For example, in my area the McDonald's are all owned by a local businessman under his company "McAttack WV".  McAttack WV pays state taxes.  McDonald's really has no presence in the state and pays no state tax.  Iowa tried to tax franchising companies and they took it to the Supreme Court, which ruled (correctly) that states cannot tax companies that do not do business there.

What about the two MacDonalds inside Disney World?  Both are corporate owned and operated and, I think, the only two MacDonalds in the State of Florida.   They must pay taxes even though the Reedy Creek Improvement District likes to think of itself as the 51st state.  I doubt that Disney is above the Government in this matter spite what Limbaugh may say.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

Quote from: roadman65 on September 30, 2012, 11:02:27 AM

What about the two MacDonalds inside Disney World?  Both are corporate owned and operated and, I think, the only two MacDonalds in the State of Florida.   

There are nearly 1000 McDonald's in Florida.  However, in any event, the McDonald's Corporation would only owe state tax on what a corporately owned outlet made, and not on what the franchisees make or pay.  The OP's point about a company avoiding tax by staying out of a state remains covered by the Supreme Court decision.

Laura

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2012, 08:05:48 AM
To me the classic example of a chain that closed almost everywhere but survived in a few places is Roy Rogers. Almost all of the ones outside the highway rest stops closed in the late 1980s/early 1990s after Marriott sold them, but a few owned by other people survived. There's one about two miles from my house that never closed and does a thriving business; I know of another about 15 minutes in the other direction, a third near Leesburg, Virginia, and two in Maryland (one near Gaithersburg, the other in Frederick). Supposedly the company that owns these restaurants is looking to rebuild the Roy Rogers brand.

(When Marriott sold it off, most of the DC-area locations became Hardee's "featuring Roy Rogers Recipe Fresh Fried Chicken" and it was a disaster. People stopped going because it wasn't just the chicken they liked at Roy's. Hardee's did have a better breakfast menu and after a few months they switched them all to be "Roy Rogers featuring Hardee's breakfast," but the damage had been done and most of them became McDonald's in fairly short order.)

There's also a Roy Rogers in Westminster. Up until a couple of weeks ago, there was a Roy Rogers in the Maryland House :(

Arthur Treachers: I have heard that there are a few around near DC. Interestingly, the family that owned the franchise in the Baltimore Area has opened a stand alone restaurant called Original Fish & Chips in Middle River, and it's pretty amazing:  http://www.tryourfish.com/Our-Story.html

Also, Gino's is making a comeback in the area! After it was sold to Marriott in 1982 (who converted it into Roy Roger's restaurants), they closed all of the locations on the East Coast. But now it's back, with 5 locations open and a 6th confirmed in MD and PA :)

Road Hog

Name a national or semi-national chain and chances are it's either opening stores in North Texas or considering it strongly, as witnessed by In-N-Out Burger and Del Taco. It's an incredibly competitive market.

jp the roadgeek

Think I saw they opened a Roy's in North Stonington, CT off I-95 Exit 93 just before the RI line.  There's also so much talk of Sonic and Checkers expansion in CT as well.  Still only 2 Sonic (Wallingford and Manchester) and 1 Checkers (Bristol).  Still also waiting for Golden Corral to sneak in; there's 1 in Springfield, but I thought I heard 1 may be opening in Enfield.

As far as Ponderosa and Bonanza, I see a couple of Ponderosas in VT, Upstate NY and NE PA, and even a Bonanza in Sanford, ME.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: Road Hog on October 01, 2012, 11:06:41 PM
Name a national or semi-national chain and chances are it's either opening stores in North Jersey or considering it strongly, as witnessed by In-N-Out Burger and Del Taco. It's an incredibly competitive market.
If I edit your post, I can alter reality. I hope.

ghYHZ

KFC/Taco Bell had numerous combo stores here in the Maritimes but the Taco Bell menu is no longer available in many. 

Dunkin Donuts was once the dominant chain in Quebec but Tim Hortons now seems to be everywhere too.......And speaking of that iconic Canadian chain......how big a presence does Tims now have in the US? I know they are common in border areas and I was surprised to see one in Penn Station the last time I passed through.

For awhile Tims was owned by Wendys and numerous combo stores were opened in Canada. Did they have them in the US also.

hbelkins

I know there's a Tim Hortons in Portsmouth, Ohio, which is right across the river from South Shore, Ky. I think there may also be a Tim Hortons in Ashland. I've never had the pleasure of having anything from them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2012, 09:30:21 AM
I know there's a Tim Hortons in Portsmouth, Ohio, which is right across the river from South Shore, Ky. I think there may also be a Tim Hortons in Ashland. I've never had the pleasure of having anything from them.

I have had Tim Hortons in Ontario. 

Excellent in terms of surgary, high-calorie donuts.

I have a weight problem anyway, but could easily gain 5 kilos (north of the border, you know ;-) ) at one of those places!
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

pctech

I think that there were Burger Chefs here (Baton Rouge) when I was young. Does anyone remember the chain that promoted "healthy fast food" in the 80's? Joe Montana was a spokesperson in the ad's. I can't recall the name of restaurants.

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: Road Hog on October 01, 2012, 11:06:41 PM
Name a national or semi-national chain and chances are it's either opening stores in Southeastern Michigan or considering it strongly, as witnessed by In-N-Out Burger and Del Taco. It's an incredibly competitive market.

Followed in Steve's footsteps, also hoping this is true.

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 02, 2012, 07:33:28 AM
For awhile Tims was owned by Wendys and numerous combo stores were opened in Canada. Did they have them in the US also.

There's a Tim Horton's/Wendy's combo in Dearborn, MI, between I-94 and U.S. 12 on Greenfield Road, just north of Rotunda Drive.

However, newer Tim Horton's/Cold Stone Creamery combos are more common (though still few and far between) around here, there's one in my city, just at the edge of the downtown area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.