News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Classic Rock Stations That Have Added 90s Bands

Started by Takumi, September 29, 2012, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

no commercials and no DJs?  sounds perfect!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on October 02, 2012, 08:03:28 PM
The other rock station in Richmond, WRXL (102.1, formerly "XL102", now just "The X"), plays mostly modern rock, 1990s to today. I don't listen to it as much simply because it has a weaker signal in my area than WKLR. Another classic rock station, WAFX (106.9, "The Fox") from Hampton Roads also reaches the area, but I don't know if it plays anything from the 1990s. During my lifetime there have also been two other rock stations in the area, both modern formats: WBZU (106.5, "The Buzz" from 1996-98) and WDYL (101.1, "Y101", now a contemporary pop station on 100.9) from 1999-2010.

IIRC, 106.9 doesn't play 90s music yet, but I could be wrong (I usually listen to 96.9 and 96.5 for "classic" rock). WWUZ ("96.9 The Rock") out of Fredericksburg is another classic rock station, and IIRC they have Nirvana and a couple other early 90s bands in their rotation.

Sort of off-topic, "Big Oldies 107.3" (WBBT) out of Richmond claims to play "oldies" music. However, they have a LOT of 90s music in their rotation. I have listened for an hour and heard both Donna Summer and Natalie Imbruglia ("Torn" is from 1997!) in that same hour.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2012, 06:29:05 PM
WDYL was like that its first few months. Then it slowly went downhill.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

I caught the local classic rock station (KRXO) playing Nirvana last night.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

I've heard the old grunge bands on KZOK in Seattle, which is fitting since that style was formed there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2012, 09:02:26 AM

Nirvana I'm OK with because I like them. I've heard them on a couple Minnesota classic rock stations now. I think they'll throw on other occasional grunge tunes too which I generally like.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

on_wisconsin

Not a surprise being as though a good portion (majority?) of there songs are or approaching 20+ years old.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: on_wisconsin on October 11, 2012, 12:40:33 AM

Not a surprise being as though a good portion (majority?) of there songs are or approaching 20+ years old.

I think everything but their last album and their famous unplugged show is over 20 by now.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

Quote from: Takumi on October 09, 2012, 10:54:12 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2012, 06:29:05 PM
WDYL was like that its first few months. Then it slowly went downhill.
Well, that's what Internet radio is for! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Henry on October 12, 2012, 10:40:22 AM

Well, that's what Internet radio is for! :)

I listen to radio only in the car.  internet there is a tough one.

satellite radio is great for not having DJs during night hours, but during they day, there they go with their incessant yakking. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jwolfer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 02, 2012, 09:56:19 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 02, 2012, 09:49:01 PM
a few rusted hex nuts thrown in.

yes, commercials and self-promotion jingles.

I hate the "crazy irreverant"  crap... they are the same in multip,e markets but put something city specifc in the announcements to make it seem local... In Jacksonville they say that they broadcast" from a liottle shack on the other side of the ditch"  The ditch is a local term for the Intercoastal Waterway and some peole that live at the beach has bumper stickersay saying they dont cross the ditch

but the sonegs are OK and then some crappy song

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.