News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The cola wars

Started by cjk374, January 09, 2013, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your choice of cola or their products?

Coca-cola (Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Minute Maid sodas, Dasani water, etc.)
Pepsi (Mr. Pibb, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew)
RC Colas
Store brand sodas (el cheapo)
Others

cjk374

I couldn't help it....after all the discussion on the restaurants thread I felt it was time for a poll.  I hope I'm not necroing an old topic.  If I am I apologize.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

A couple items is that Dr Pepper can be distributed by Coke, Pepsi or 7up, depending on where you are.  And Mr Pibb is usually distributed by Coke.

oscar

7-Up should be a separate item in the poll.  In my area, it's distributed along with Canada Dry products, but I think that varies by region.

I drink both Diet Pepsi (when I need the caffeine) and Diet 7-Up (more often).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

I don't drink a ton of soda, but when I do I drink Coke, Diet Coke, or Sprite. Pepsi is for communists.

Dr Pepper/7UP/A&W Root Beer/Sunkist/Canada Dry/Snapple are all owned by the same company, but I think they do an a la carte sort of distribution where places can opt to carry one or some of their products, unlike Coke and Pepsi

cjk374

I haven't seen 7-Up around here in years...since Sierra Mist came out.  I was told Sierra Mist was made to replace 7-Up.  I guess I am used to who distributes what here in north Louisiana.  I wanted to include Fanta but didn't know who made it.  AFAIK, Mr. Pibb isn't sold by restaurants or stores around here either.

Big John

Fanta is made by Coke.

Sanctimoniously

I voted for Coca-Cola because I prefer Coke-bottled Dr. Pepper, and because Coke/Fuze makes my preferred energy drink, Full Throttle.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on January 09, 2013, 09:02:18 PM
I haven't seen 7-Up around here in years...since Sierra Mist came out.  I was told Sierra Mist was made to replace 7-Up.  I guess I am used to who distributes what here in north Louisiana.  I wanted to include Fanta but didn't know who made it.  AFAIK, Mr. Pibb isn't sold by restaurants or stores around here either.

7UP is owned by Dr Pepper/Snapple. Sierra Mist is made by Pepsi and replaced Slice (though I miss Orange Slice).

I prefer Coke to Pepsi myself (but Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke), but have been indulging in "Throwback" Pepsi and "Throwback" Mouintain Dew (original sugar formulas).  Since January 1, though, I've been drinking more tea and a lot less soda.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

I voted Coke because of cherry Coke, which I like best of all sodas, but I also like the Throwbacks and the occasional flavored Mountain Dew (Code Red, Voltage, etc.) But I don't drink soda much at all anymore.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

The reason it appeared to "replace" 7UP was that since Pepsi didn't have a Sprite competitor in the USA (they do own and distribute 7UP internationally), they had to allow 7UP to be distributed through their channels. It only made sense for them to develop their own inhouse drink

Fanta is a Coke product.

hbelkins

I voted Coke because I prefer Diet Coke.

This may come as a surprise to some, but I prefer Vernor's to Ale-8.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Soda distribution is broken down into the soda companies, who make the syrup, and the bottlers, who add the water and deliver the product to retail.

7UP, RC, and Dr Pepper have, because of anti-trust settlements, different owners in different parts of the world.

7UP is owned by Dr Pepper in the USA, and by Pepsi everywhere else.

RC (and brands associated with it like Nehi, etc) is also owned by Dr Pepper in the USA, but by a Canadian company called Cott everywhere else.  Cott also makes the syrup for most "store brands", so you local store brand is probably really RC.

Dr Pepper belongs to the Dr Pepper company in the USA and in 14 specific European countries, to Pepsi in Canada, and to Coca-Cola everywhere else. 

Then come the distributors.  In the USA, bottlers have "lifetime" contracts, generally based on county lines. As to Dr Pepper in about 40% of the USA the local Coke bottler owns Dr Pepper and it will be distributed along wth the Coke brands, in another 40% the Pepsi bottlers will own it, and in the rest of the country, It will be distributed (along with a plethora of other small brands) by a "third tier" bottler, who disributes neither Coke nor Pepsi.  7UP is more complicated.  Similar situation used to exist for 7UP, but Coke forced its bottlers to give up 7UP back in the 80s, Pepsi tried to in the 90s with less success.    Therefore there are areas where 7UP is hard to find, as the local bottler has given it up, and no third tier is around to pick it up.

Anyway, Coke, thanks.

formulanone

To be honest, I don't have a favorite all-round soda company. I'll drink Coke as a go-to choice at most restaurants, but if they have Dr Pepper, I'll usually have that. If they serve Pepsi products, I'll usually have Mountain Dew, or Sierra Mist if I don't want water nor caffeine. Some Coke or Pepsi-aligned establishments still carry Dr. Pepper, so there's not a lot of consistency.

Quote from: US71 on January 09, 2013, 09:59:03 PM
I prefer Coke to Pepsi myself (but Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke)
Funny, I'm the same way; Diet Coke has an awful aftertaste. They've removed a great deal of that with Coke Zero.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2013, 10:28:45 PM
This may come as a surprise to some, but I prefer Vernor's to Ale-8.

I found Ale-8 to taste halfway between a Mountain Dew and a Sierra Mist. Vernor's seems more like a ginger ale, although on the sweet end of the spectrum. (I suppose Blenheim's Red Cap would be the opposite end of that scale!)

That reminds me, it's been a few months since I've had a bottle of Blenheim's.

vdeane

I prefer the Wegmans store brand W up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Personally, I'd rather have a Faygo or a Vernor's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Hard to vote.  I guess, when I tally them up, Dr Pepper is the winner.

My most common purchases:

Dr Pepper products
RC Cherry Cola
Cherry 7-Up
Sunkist Orange
Sunkist Grape
Schweppes Ginger Ale

Pepsi products
Pepsi Cola Throwback
Manzanita Sol

Coke products
Cherry Coke Zero
Mexican Coke

Novamex products
Jarritos (various flavors)

Nestlé products
Perrier mineral water

FEMSA products
Sidral Mundet
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

For the record, whenever a new soda comes out that I absolutely LOVE, they discontinue it shortly thereafter.

Specifically:
Sprite Remix (soda that tastes like Skittles!)
Sunkist Solar Fusion (soda that tastes like Starburst!)
Pepsi Next Mango (a mainstream mango-flavored soda was too good to be true)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

I drink anywhere from 8-11 regular Cokes a day.  Yes, I am an addict.  I like a Pepsi every now and then, but I prefer Coke. 

cpzilliacus

Anyone ever consume Cheerwine?  I've usually seen it sold in the Carolinas (and it has enough sugar to put some folks into a diabetic coma), though it can be found elsewhere.

In Maryland, Virginia and D.C., there used to be a beverage somewhat like Cheerwine sold in the stores called Cherry Smash, but I have not seen it in many years.  It was also loaded with sugar (by comparison "real" Coke and Pepsi would be considered "diet" sodas).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oldparoadgeek

:bigass: Yep Coke and Vernors

exit322

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 10, 2013, 04:22:02 PM
Anyone ever consume Cheerwine?  I've usually seen it sold in the Carolinas (and it has enough sugar to put some folks into a diabetic coma), though it can be found elsewhere.

In Maryland, Virginia and D.C., there used to be a beverage somewhat like Cheerwine sold in the stores called Cherry Smash, but I have not seen it in many years.  It was also loaded with sugar (by comparison "real" Coke and Pepsi would be considered "diet" sodas).

The Old Carolina BBQ chain (that started) here in Stark County sells Cheerwine.  I was not all that impressed.

kphoger

Remember Clearly Canadian?  I felt like my teeth were rotting by the time I was half done with a bottle.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2013, 05:11:35 PM
Remember Clearly Canadian?  I felt like my teeth were rotting by the time I was half done with a bottle.

Ah yes.  That was good stuff.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NJRoadfan

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 10, 2013, 04:22:02 PM

Yes, I brought home my 6 month supply of Diet Cheerwine (4 cases of 12oz cans) last week. I can get it in glass bottle form here in NJ, but its $1.50 each! Its not so much the sugar (a non-issue for me as I drink diet), but the caffeine content is higher then Coke/Pepsi/Dr Pepper. A friend of mine calls it the RC Cola of the Carolinas for some reason. In the Raleigh area its bottled by the local Pepsi bottler, I guess they are just far enough away from Carolina Beverage's HQ in Salisbury for it to make sense.

cjk374

I've never heard of Vernor's or Ale-8.  But I know how delicious an RC & a moonpie go together!    :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.