News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Names for metropolitan areas

Started by hbelkins, January 31, 2013, 09:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcellntbuy

Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties are lumped in different ways.  The Florida Gold Coast, the Florida Platinum Coast, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Greater Fort Lauderdale, the western suburbs (Broward County) or "out West," and the Palm Beaches.

empirestate

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 01, 2013, 01:15:54 PM
Speaking of Cincinnati, the Kentucky portion of the metro area is typically refered to as Northern Kentucky, at least in the metropolitan scene. Geographically it probably includes the next couple or so tiers of counties to the south, but the top three are the main ones (Boone, Campbell and Kenton.)

I suppose that would be akin to NoVa (Northern Virginia) to refer to that part of the state which is suburban to Washington, but not actually including Washington or the Maryland portion of its metro.

kendancy66

sandiaman

Pocatello ID  is  known  simply as Pokey
Albuquerque  is  known  as  the Duke City (for  the Duke of  Albuquerque in Spain)
Flagstaff is  shortened  to Flag
Santa  Fe  is  called  the  City Different
Truth or Consequences,NM  is  too  long  and  is  refered  to  as  T or C
Phoenix  is    also  called  the Valley  of  the Sun,  while  Mesa  is   the  East Valley

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: xcellntbuy on February 01, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties are lumped in different ways.  The Florida Gold Coast, the Florida Platinum Coast, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Greater Fort Lauderdale, the western suburbs (Broward County) or "out West," and the Palm Beaches.
Florida also has the "First Coast"(Jacksonville area), the "Space Coast"(Brevard County) and the "Treasure Coast"(Indian River, Martin and St. Lucie counties)

allniter89

Maybe only a metropolitan area during the beach season I must mention home -->The Emerald Coast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Coast in Florida consists of Escambia county (Pensacola area), Santa Rosa county (Navarre area), Okaloosa county (Fort Walton Beach), Walton county  :hmmm: (Seaside area) and Bay county (Panama City area) gulf coasts.
In the trucker vernacular se Florida is known as "the bottom", how appropriate is that?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

DandyDan

I've heard the Sioux Falls area refered to as the Sioux Empire, while the Sioux City area is called Siouxland.

I have heard the Grand Island/Hastings/Kearney area in Nebraska refered to as the Tri-Cities, but I personally think that is solely based on the fact the hockey team which plays in Kearney is called the Tri-City Storm.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Road Hog

Quote from: sandiaman on February 01, 2013, 09:34:17 PM

Pocatello ID  is  known  simply as Pokey
Albuquerque  is  known  as  the Duke City (for  the Duke of  Albuquerque in Spain)
Flagstaff is  shortened  to Flag
Santa  Fe  is  called  the  City Different
Truth or Consequences,NM  is  too  long  and  is  refered  to  as  T or C
Phoenix  is    also  called  the Valley  of  the Sun,  while  Mesa  is   the  East Valley

You must come from "Space" City. :)

empirestate

Quote from: allniter89 on February 02, 2013, 01:00:14 AM
Maybe only a metropolitan area during the beach season I must mention home -->The Emerald Coast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Coast in Florida consists of Escambia county (Pensacola area), Santa Rosa county (Navarre area), Okaloosa county (Fort Walton Beach), Walton county  :hmmm: (Seaside area) and Bay county (Panama City area) gulf coasts.

That's not the term I first heard for it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_Riviera

When I visited the region, I do remember agreeing that it looked as though someone had taken a Bedazzler™ to the panhandle swamps.

TXtoNJ

Philadelphia area as the Delaware Valley

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: DandyDan on February 02, 2013, 04:19:11 AM
I've heard the Sioux Falls area refered to as the Sioux Empire, while the Sioux City area is called Siouxland.

I have heard the Grand Island/Hastings/Kearney area in Nebraska refered to as the Tri-Cities, but I personally think that is solely based on the fact the hockey team which plays in Kearney is called the Tri-City Storm.
They are also sometimes referred to as the Tri-Cities in local weather reports. Of course, they are too far apart to really be Tri-Cities in the same sense as Richland-Kennewick-Pasco, WA are.

golden eagle

Saginaw-Bay City-Midland is referred to as the Tri-Cities.

Takumi

Tri-Cities is also used for Petersburg-Hopewell-Colonial Heights, VA and Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City TN.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I have heard the Tampa- St. Petersburg area in Florida known as the "Bay Area" just like in San Fransisco.
In Orlando it is Central Florida.
The Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and Naples area is South-West Florida hence the name of Fort Myers own airport.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

"Mid South" is not just the Memphis metro, it is a region composed of several states.

allniter89

Quote from: empirestate on February 02, 2013, 10:46:30 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on February 02, 2013, 01:00:14 AM

That's not the term I first heard for it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_Riviera

When I visited the region, I do remember agreeing that it looked as though someone had taken a Bedazzler™ to the panhandle swamps.
Swamps???? No no no my friend, you missed the true beauty of the area. Along US 98 you can see our sugar white sand & and the emerald colored water of the Gulf of Mexico.  :nod:
I have very seldom heard anyone use the Redneck Riviera monicker, I dont consider it very flattering although most of our summer visitors are rednecks  :sombrero:. I hear Emerald Coast or the panhandle used the majority of the time.  :wave:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

amroad17

The Hampton Roads area (which started being used around 1990 for the area instead of Tidewater) also is broken down into 2 sub-regions.  Norfolk, Va. Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Suffolk are referred to as "the Southside", and Newport News, Hampton, and Poquoson are referred to as "the Peninsula."

Syracuse and the surrounding area has been called Central New York on newscasts from at least the 1960's.

Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton are usually referred to as "Lehigh Valley."
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

empirestate

Quote from: allniter89 on February 03, 2013, 01:05:54 AM
Quote from: empirestate on February 02, 2013, 10:46:30 AM
Swamps????

Yep: http://tinyurl.com/aynqy68

No no no my friend, you missed the true beauty of the area. Along US 98 you can see our sugar white sand & and the emerald colored water of the Gulf of Mexico.  :nod:

If I missed those things, how could I be aware that the swamps had been Bedazzled™?

I have very seldom heard anyone use the Redneck Riviera monicker, I dont consider it very flattering although most of our summer visitors are rednecks  :sombrero:. I hear Emerald Coast or the panhandle used the majority of the time.  :wave:

Those I heard it from were self-applying the term, but that doesn't make it any more flattering. I didn't spend nearly enough time there to gather what the common local term would be. But I did get a bit of a sense of pride that there was a beach region catering more to actual Southerners than to transplanted northerners, as found elsewhere in the state.

bassoon1986

Quote from: US81 on January 31, 2013, 10:01:00 PM
This may be more regional than strictly metropolitan, but I am amused by "the Ark-La-Tex" and "Ark-La-Tex-oma"  for the Shreveport - Texarkana area.

And when I moved to monroe, la for college that part of the state refers to itself as ark-la-miss. NotrNot really a metro area though. Monroe and vicksburg are miles apart.

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on February 03, 2013, 05:21:42 AM
The Hampton Roads area (which started being used around 1990 for the area instead of Tidewater)...

I've heard "Tidewater" used to describe the whole region, as far west as Emporia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Oklahoma City and surrounding areas is generally referred to in the media as "the metro". People from "the metro" who are not from Oklahoma City call it "the city", as in someone from Norman saying "would you like to have lunch up in the city tomorrow?"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

corco

Phoenix is often referred to as "The Valley"

It's not unusual to hear the Tucson area referred to as "The Old Pueblo"

roadman65

Back in 1988, I heard a classic rock station broadcasting in Southern California refer to their broadcast area as "the Empire."  I do not know which region in the vastly populated area around LA- San Bernardino- San Diego is called that, but I found it interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DTComposer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 09:20:46 AM
between San Jose and San Diego on 101 is Silicon Valley, and the corresponding region near Boston is called Route 128 (not I-95!).

I assume you meant San Francisco instead of San Diego. Silicon Valley corresponds to Santa Clara Valley, and specifically the corridor from San Jose to Palo Alto, although some cities in San Mateo and Alameda Counties are included in a looser definition.

Like someone mentioned about Oklahoma City, people in the Bay Area refer to San Francisco proper as "The City."

Quote from: roadman65 on February 04, 2013, 12:28:22 AM
Back in 1988, I heard a classic rock station broadcasting in Southern California refer to their broadcast area as "the Empire."  I do not know which region in the vastly populated area around LA- San Bernardino- San Diego is called that, but I found it interesting.

As mentioned above, the "Inland Empire" refers to the Riverside-San Bernardino area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.