News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmendes

does anybody know whats with the state not doing anything with the crossbronx expwy and not tunneling it or fixing it

kalvado

Would be interesting to see how this turns out! 55 cents per gallon is approximately what the total gas tax in NY is right now, so this would double the tax.
https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Cost-of-cleaner-air-could-be-another-55-16098181.php
QuoteA bill in the state Senate that would impose a carbon tax to help the state meet its green energy goals could cost New York motorists an extra 55 cents per gallon at the pump

kernals12

Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 10:31:29 AM
Would be interesting to see how this turns out! 55 cents per gallon is approximately what the total gas tax in NY is right now, so this would double the tax.
https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Cost-of-cleaner-air-could-be-another-55-16098181.php
QuoteA bill in the state Senate that would impose a carbon tax to help the state meet its green energy goals could cost New York motorists an extra 55 cents per gallon at the pump

That's gonna get secessionist currents rolling upstate

cl94

Well, this would be a very good way to ensure Albany flips to the GOP.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Pfft.  NY Legislature has the ability to do most of its work behind closed doors (which is why the vast majority of bills pass when they get to the vote).  I think this bill will die therein.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2021, 11:42:49 AM
Pfft.  NY Legislature has the ability to do most of its work behind closed doors (which is why the vast majority of bills pass when they get to the vote).  I think this bill will die therein.
You never know. I said pretty much the same about Tappan Zee renaming... It was rubber-stamped within a week!

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 11:52:18 AM
You never know. I said pretty much the same about Tappan Zee renaming... It was rubber-stamped within a week!
That one was more understandable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2021, 12:02:07 PM
I suspect any measure to bring more revenue would be fairly understandable these days.

astralentity

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 12:07:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2021, 12:02:07 PM
I suspect any measure to bring more revenue would be fairly understandable these days.
Yeah, keep in mind that the reason why the budget was late was because they were working out what tax increases to have, even though the latest stimulus bill combined with the $5 billion that randomly got found more than plugged the hole.  I'm not going to let myself be optimistic about this dying, and yes, it would almost certainly lead to more upstate secession threats and the government flipping to the GOP next year.

Seriously, yikes.  I don't mind increasing the gas tax as needed, but NY already has a high gas tax that goes straight to the general fund, and 55 cents is a LOT, enough that it might actually be cheaper for me to go to Vermont or Massachusetts for gas at least some of the time, even factoring in the gas used for the drive, even in my Civic.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: astralentity on April 14, 2021, 02:31:10 PM
Eeeeesh.....

https://www.news10.com/news/nysp-truck-hit-a-northway-overpass-traffic-being-diverted/

That beam is nearly ripped into two.
Normally, I'd expect something like that to happen to parkway interchanges, not an interstate highway like the Adirondack Northway. Although there are a few bridges over the Long Island Expressway that are unexpectedly low.

kalvado

Eeeeesh.....

https://www.news10.com/news/nysp-truck-hit-a-northway-overpass-traffic-being-diverted/

Yeah, I had to deal with some backroads today.
Not sure how bad it is structure wise; it is pretty bad traffic wise.

And a close-up. Doesn't look good!

cl94

That bridge isn't reopening anytime soon. They're going to need to completely replace the west span. 3 stringers an a pier are compromised. At this point, don't expect the Northway to reopen until they can demolish that span.

I really hope the driver of the truck has a large insurance policy, because that's gonna be a pricey fine.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on April 14, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
That bridge isn't reopening anytime soon. They're going to need to completely replace the west span. 3 stringers an a pier are compromised. At this point, don't expect the Northway to reopen until they can demolish that span.

I really hope the driver of the truck has a large insurance policy, because that's gonna be a pricey fine.
That is beyond "it suck"....

kalvado

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 14, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Eeeeesh.....

Normally, I'd expect something like that to happen to parkway interchanges, not an interstate highway like the Adirondack Northway. Although there are a few bridges over the Long Island Expressway that are unexpectedly low.
That was a relatively low bridge at  14'4" - and they hit the bridge exactly below the sign. Well, if there will be a replacement - it will surely be up to the standard (pun intended).

kalvado

Word is one lane will reopen, would take 3 weeks for repairs before things are back to normal. Exit 9 will remain closed - to keep traffic off overloaded 146 in Clifton park, I assume.
WOuld be a total collapse before covid, downgraded to a huge cluster-f  with today's reduced traffic.

lstone19

Here in Illinois, I just saw a VMS saying "Stop bridge hits"  and saying over 13' 6"  needs permits. That sounds low for permits but is well below the Northway bridge.

iPhone

webny99

Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 04:59:20 PM

Word is one lane will reopen, would take 3 weeks for repairs before things are back to normal. Exit 9 will remain closed - to keep traffic off overloaded 146 in Clifton park, I assume.
WOuld be a total collapse before covid, downgraded to a huge cluster-f  with today's reduced traffic.

Wow, what a disaster. US 9 looks like a nightmare, and Grooms Rd. not much better. I find the decision to detour traffic at Exit 10 and keep Exit 9 closed really interesting. You'd think traffic would disseminate a bit better by using the Exit 9 ramps, but then again, that does put an incredible strain on 146.

Curious what the locals thoughts are as to the best alternate. US 4, maybe?

cl94

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2021, 06:27:34 PM
Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 04:59:20 PM

Wow, what a disaster. US 9 looks like a nightmare, and Grooms Rd. not much better. I find the decision to detour traffic at Exit 10 and keep Exit 9 closed really interesting. You'd think traffic would disseminate a bit better by using the Exit 9 ramps, but then again, that does put an incredible strain on 146.

Curious what the locals thoughts are as to the best alternate. US 4, maybe?

Depends on the origin/destination. Where I live, I'd use US 4 or NY 40. Anything southwest would use something involving 146 or 50. 9, 146A, and parallel roads are still the best options for local traffic.

astralentity

Quote from: kalvado on April 14, 2021, 03:57:29 PM
Eeeeesh.....

That was a relatively low bridge at  14'4" - and they hit the bridge exactly below the sign. Well, if there will be a replacement - it will surely be up to the standard (pun intended).

I heard that the state and Clifton Park fought against raising that span to 16'....  I also notice that the beams looked a bit long in the tooth too, because I really can't see how the boom on a manlift can do that much damage on new beams.

astralentity

Eeeeesh.....

Crazeenydriver needs to make a video on this!

kalvado

I just went through affected area of I-87. Traffic situation is nowhere close to the total collapse we feared.
Right lane is separated by jersey barriers, steel support columns are installed in the right lane. Other two lanes are open for traffic.
No entry at Exit 9, removing a lot of traffic and a heavy merge just upstream of accident location.  Exit 8A is probably a mess during commute, but traffic is still suppressed by covid.
The only thing I would do differently is extending lane closure by another mile to exit 8A to facilitate that merge.

Biggest issue would be on weekends, when a lot of NYC vacation traffic would be coming from Adirondack and Lake George.

bob7374

Mention of the Hutchinson River Parkway in the best route Boston to NYC thread had me following up about the sign replacement project that was supposed to start in June 2020. Couldn't find any information except for the sign plans, which have the new exit numbers listed on them, the plans are available at: https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=29755&p_is_digital=Y

The last exit number northbound for the NY 120A/King Street is 19A, the Greenwich CT exit is listed as 19B, a note on the plan indicates that gore sign will be put up by CTDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on April 15, 2021, 11:18:57 AM
I just went through affected area of I-87. Traffic situation is nowhere close to the total collapse we feared.
Right lane is separated by jersey barriers, steel support columns are installed in the right lane. Other two lanes are open for traffic.
No entry at Exit 9, removing a lot of traffic and a heavy merge just upstream of accident location.  Exit 8A is probably a mess during commute, but traffic is still suppressed by covid.
The only thing I would do differently is extending lane closure by another mile to exit 8A to facilitate that merge.

Biggest issue would be on weekends, when a lot of NYC vacation traffic would be coming from Adirondack and Lake George.
And the latest update: https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/After-crash-section-of-bridge-over-Northway-to-16118979.php
Section of a bridge is coming down, as @cl94 said - I assume the span over southbound lanes?. Highway closed overnight on weekend.
That's a lot of aftermath from a single impact... 

webny99

In other NY news, construction has begun at NY 286 and Five Mile Line Rd in Penfield, an intersection I've grumbled about in the past because of the lack of turning lanes and rush hour backups.  It was originally under study for a roundabout, but they're ultimately going with the more sensible option of just adding turning lanes on all four approaches, including a southbound right turn lane. Diagram here:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.