News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

O.J. Simpson, football star Dead at 76

Started by bing101, April 11, 2024, 11:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/oj-simpson-former-nfl-star-acquitted-his-wifes-murder-has-died-his-family-says-2024-04-11/

https://apnews.com/article/oj-simpson-death-5f2e659775684544b3034c380157cac9

Here is the obit.

QuoteWASHINGTON, April 11 (Reuters) - O.J. Simpson, the American football star and actor who was acquitted in a sensational 1995 trial of murdering his former wife but was found responsible for her death in a civil lawsuit and was later imprisoned for armed robbery and kidnapping, has died at the age of 76.
Simpson, cleared by a Los Angeles jury in what the U.S. media called "the trial of the century," had died on Wednesday after a battle with cancer, his family posted on social media on Thursday.Simpson avoided prison when he was found not guilty in the 1994 stabbing deaths of former wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles. Simpson later served nine years in a Nevada prison after being convicted in 2008 on 12 counts of armed robbery and kidnapping two sports memorabilia dealers at gunpoint in a Las Vegas hotel.
Nicknamed "The Juice," Simpson was one of the best and most popular athletes of the late 1960s and 1970s. He overcame childhood infirmity to become an electrifying running back at the University of Southern California and won the Heisman Trophy as college football's top player. After a record-setting career in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Max Rockatansky

The world is a better place without him in it.

1995hoo

If the coffin doesn't fit, the funeral ain't legit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bing101

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 11, 2024, 12:07:50 PMI've been waiting for this moment.
Congrats!

Also in recent years we had to consider how years of concussions on College and NFL gridiron and an indirect link to some NFL stars ended up in worse situations. It calls into question if OJ was never an NFL Star would he face the things he been in the past 3 decades. But I read stuff that OJ had a rough childhood living in San Francisco and everybody around OJ during his childhood encouraged him to play football as part of being accepted among friends and family at that time.  Then again when that happened CTE was not known as it is today until subsequent researchers investigated it. Here's a recent example the argument of NFL stars brain damage and the indirect links to where they ended up. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/09/563194252/researcher-says-aaron-hernandez-s-brain-showed-signs-of-severe-cte

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/09/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain-damage-photos

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/03/27/new-england-patriots-prison-aaron-hernandez-suicide-murder-nfl-phone-calls

ZLoth

The 1978 and 1979 seasons were two of four seasons where the San Francisco 49ers had an abysmal two wins for the entire season.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Rothman

It's a weird situation.  OJ was acquitted, but was still found liable for wrongful death.  The more I learn about the case, the more missteps by LAPD I learn.

But, all that said, his death doesn't seem to leave the world any the poorer.

To imply that OJ was not accountable for his actions due to concussions during his time playing football is too far of a stretch for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on April 11, 2024, 12:30:23 PMThe 1978 and 1979 seasons were two of four seasons where the San Francisco 49ers had an abysmal two wins for the entire season.

Still "the best worst team" ever in the NFL.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on April 11, 2024, 12:30:38 PMIt's a weird situation.  OJ was acquitted, but was still found liable for wrongful death.  The more I learn about the case, the more missteps by LAPD I learn.

But, all that said, his death doesn't seem to leave the world any the poorer.

To imply that OJ was not accountable for his actions due to concussions during his time playing football is too far of a stretch for me.

I've long felt that the OJ murder case was a prime example of a case where the so-called "Scottish verdict"—"not proven"—would have been an ideal verdict if it were recognized in American law, which it is not (recall that Arlen Specter famously tried to vote that way in the Clinton impeachment trial and his vote was recorded as "not guilty"). If you're serious about the principle of acquitting unless the prosecution proves guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," then it's not terribly difficult to conclude that the jury in the Simpson case reached the correct verdict even if you believe that he was in fact guilty. That's where I come down on both points. The prosecution simply made some colossal blunders that I think made it perfectly reasonable for the jury to decide that, based on the evidence presented to them at that trial, there was no proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he did it. The "not proven" verdict in Scottish law has the legal effect of acquittal but is essentially a way of saying exactly what I just said—"We believe the defendant is guilty but the prosecution has failed to produce sufficient evidence."

SEWIGuy

Had DNA evidence been more established in the public's mind at the time, I am convinced he would have been convicted in short order. For those who weren't around back then, it was still a pretty new science and his attorney's played off on that to create reasonable doubt.

DJStephens

Remember watching the trial, as an "oddball" out of state, and older student @ UTEP in the mid nineties.   They had TV screens in the cafeteria.  Most of the students there, likely identified with him, and cheered when events in the trial went in his favor.   

SectorZ

bing101

Here are the films that showed how some NFL Stars ended up with brain damage. But that was not known when OJ had his trial.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on April 11, 2024, 12:58:58 PM

It makes me happy that people are busting out Zelda CDi memes to commemorate the occasion.

Henry

They say karma is a bitch, and it finally came back to get him 30 years later, in the form of cancer.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I say GOOD RIDDANCE to "Orange Juice" Simpson! May he never rest in piece! I was in fourth grade (1994) when the trial was ongoing, and I still remember that smirk on Simpson's face when the "not guilty" verdict was read. I wish he had been found guilty of the murders and received a life sentence in prison without parole. Then maybe that 2007 robbery in Las Vegas would have never happened. Hopefully, now he is incarcerated in the ultimate prison: HELL!

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2024, 12:07:25 PMIf the coffin doesn't fit, the funeral ain't legit.

Don't get indignant, the tumor was malignant...

Stephane Dumas

I have a guilty pleasure and I couldn't resist to play that classic from the Wizard of Oz.

And remember the time when Norm Macdonald did lot of OJ jokes on SNL.

And one Youtuber posted that one about OJ appearance in the first Naked Gun.
Quoteblondmop92
As soon as I heard that OJ Simpson died, my first thought was, "How?" Then I remembered this scene, and I was like, "Probably not, but that's how he should have gone."

jeffandnicole

Damn...just beat me to that clip! ha

bing101

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 11, 2024, 04:49:13 PMI say GOOD RIDDANCE to "Orange Juice" Simpson! May he never rest in piece! I was in fourth grade (1994) when the trial was ongoing, and I still remember that smirk on Simpson's face when the "not guilty" verdict was read. I wish he had been found guilty of the murders and received a life sentence in prison without parole. Then maybe that 2007 robbery in Las Vegas would have never happened. Hopefully, now he is incarcerated in the ultimate prison: HELL!
Does anybody wish a Dexter Morgan type person exterminated OJ Simpson. If so then that person would end up more crazier than the victims he claim to be restoring honor to.

Big John

thspfc

In 2037:
"If I Died" by Orenthal James Simpson

1995hoo

LilianaUwU

Speaking of Ford, today of all days they announced a Bronco recall.

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/ford-recalls-nearly-43000-bronco-sport-escape-suvs-due-to-gas-leaks-that-can-cause-fires/

QuoteFord recalls nearly 43,000 Bronco Sport, Escape SUVs due to gas leaks that can cause fires

Ford is recalling nearly 43,000 small SUVs because gasoline can leak from the fuel injectors onto hot engine surfaces, increasing the risk of fires. But the recall remedy does not include repairing the fuel leaks.

The recall covers certain Bronco Sport SUVs from the 2022 and 2023 model years, as well as Escape SUVs from 2022. All have 1.5-liter engines.

Ford says in documents filed with U.S. safety regulators that fuel injectors can crack, and gasoline or vapor can accumulate near ignition sources, possibly touching off fires.

Dealers will install a tube to let gasoline flow away from hot surfaces to the ground below the vehicle. They'll also update engine control software to detect a pressure drop in the fuel injection system. If that happens, the software will disable the high pressure fuel pump, reduce engine power and cut temperatures in the engine compartment, according to documents posted Wednesday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

Owners were to be notified by letter starting April 1.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

tchafe1978

I saw a meme of gallons of orange juice with an expiration date of 4/11. Perfect.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.