News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) rebuild and widen

Started by I-39, June 27, 2017, 08:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 10, 2021, 05:50:29 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on November 10, 2021, 05:05:22 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 10, 2021, 05:02:07 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on November 10, 2021, 02:30:45 PM

FWIW: Central portion of I-294 Tollway is in its 2nd rebuild since 1994.

I remember the central Tri-State getting rebuilt in 1976. I assume to replace the original 1953 ROW.

Ahh, that's when I remember the I-55 entrance ramp, going also to Hinsdale Oasis, getting rebuilt.

Anyway, I-55, 57 and 80 are getting addressed before 290. Even IL 53 x-way north of 90 has plans for rebuilding in 2023-27.  I-290, as they say, "crickets", :P
Well, if the new Bears stadium comes to Arlington Heights, then one can expect a fast track of IL 53. That said, I still maintain I-290 should be priority #1. I forgot about I-57 (South of I-80, it should be three lanes each way to Kankakee to be honest).
Bears stadium comes to Arlington Heights needs more then just an rebuild it needs added lanes / better exits and more to other roads.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29685.msg2667830#msg2667830

they should change the  bridge rehabilitation of the structure carrying Euclid Avenue to something bigger like may an DDI or SPUI? can reuse bridge and change the cloverleaf to something that makes path to I-90 / I-290 more then just an 1 lane loop. Also maybe path from Palatine Road exit may need more then just an loop as well. 

skluth

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 10, 2021, 10:16:31 PM

I remember the central Tri-State getting rebuilt in 1976. I assume to replace the original 1953 ROW.

Ahh, that's when I remember the I-55 entrance ramp, going also to Hinsdale Oasis, getting rebuilt.

Anyway, I-55, 57 and 80 are getting addressed before 290. Even IL 53 x-way north of 90 has plans for rebuilding in 2023-27.  I-290, as they say, "crickets", :P
Well, if the new Bears stadium comes to Arlington Heights, then one can expect a fast track of IL 53. That said, I still maintain I-290 should be priority #1. I forgot about I-57 (South of I-80, it should be three lanes each way to Kankakee to be honest).
Bears stadium comes to Arlington Heights needs more then just an rebuild it needs added lanes / better exits and more to other roads.

they should change the  bridge rehabilitation of the structure carrying Euclid Avenue to something bigger like may an DDI or SPUI? can reuse bridge and change the cloverleaf to something that makes path to I-90 / I-290 more then just an 1 lane loop. Also maybe path from Palatine Road exit may need more then just an loop as well.

Most football stadiums are only filled a dozen or so times per year and mostly on Sunday. I agree there would be improvements to Euclid and US 14 between a new stadium and IL 53, but I wouldn't expect much else - certainly no northern extension beyond Lake Cook Rd. Those improvements wouldn't be all that costly compared to a full rebuild.

Back to the Eisenhower. I've seen HOT lanes elsewhere with mixed results. I'm not sure they do much to alleviate congestion, though much of the problem is in design (e.g., the CA 91 HOT lanes south of Riverside don't connect with CA 241, a toll road to bypass the congestion between Riverside County and the South Orange County. At least both require the same transponder.). This is the Selected Alternative.
This alternative consisted of adding one High Occupancy Toll (HOT) 3+ lane (three or more occupants per vehicle required for non-tolled use, or one/two occupants per vehicle paying a toll) in each direction between 25th Avenue and Austin Boulevard; conversion of one existing general-purpose lane in each direction west of 25th Avenue and east of Austin Boulevard to HOT 3+ use; and provisions for express bus service and a high-capacity transit extension. 

I don't see anything saying there will be direct connections between the HOT lanes and the Tri-State. I believe for the HOT lanes to be successful, ramps will need to be built connecting the HOT lanes directly to/from the Tri-State. Without those ramps, the weaving east of the Tri-State will only get worse. It may not be much of an issue towards Downtown as I-88 enters the Eisenhower on one lane from the left and it's already a toll road; that same ramp also serves NB Tri-State to Eisenhower traffic. However, weaving will only get worse on the WB as those in the HOT lane need to cross all traffic lanes to go NB on the Tri-State. It may be the least used of the ramps, but enough drivers will be weaving from the HOT lane to NB Tri-State to slow traffic. Even those continuing west on I-290 will need to weave two lanes to the right from the HOT lane. This isn't as much an issue with I-88 as it enters/exits from the left so it's essentially toll-to-toll.

Express bus service on existing highways is usually a losing proposition. Most transit users want trains, not buses, and those that will use the bus will still want an exclusive bus lane. BRT mixing with highway traffic subjects buses to the same jams and other problems other vehicles experience. Riders get frustrated and will usually revert back to POV unless they just can't afford it.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: skluth on November 11, 2021, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 10, 2021, 10:16:31 PM

Most football stadiums are only filled a dozen or so times per year and mostly on Sunday. I agree there would be improvements to Euclid and US 14 between a new stadium and IL 53, but I wouldn't expect much else - certainly no northern extension beyond Lake Cook Rd. Those improvements wouldn't be all that costly compared to a full rebuild.

Back to the Eisenhower. I've seen HOT lanes elsewhere with mixed results. I'm not sure they do much to alleviate congestion, though much of the problem is in design (e.g., the CA 91 HOT lanes south of Riverside don't connect with CA 241, a toll road to bypass the congestion between Riverside County and the South Orange County. At least both require the same transponder.). This is the Selected Alternative.
This alternative consisted of adding one High Occupancy Toll (HOT) 3+ lane (three or more occupants per vehicle required for non-tolled use, or one/two occupants per vehicle paying a toll) in each direction between 25th Avenue and Austin Boulevard; conversion of one existing general-purpose lane in each direction west of 25th Avenue and east of Austin Boulevard to HOT 3+ use; and provisions for express bus service and a high-capacity transit extension. 

I don't see anything saying there will be direct connections between the HOT lanes and the Tri-State. I believe for the HOT lanes to be successful, ramps will need to be built connecting the HOT lanes directly to/from the Tri-State. Without those ramps, the weaving east of the Tri-State will only get worse. It may not be much of an issue towards Downtown as I-88 enters the Eisenhower on one lane from the left and it's already a toll road; that same ramp also serves NB Tri-State to Eisenhower traffic. However, weaving will only get worse on the WB as those in the HOT lane need to cross all traffic lanes to go NB on the Tri-State. It may be the least used of the ramps, but enough drivers will be weaving from the HOT lane to NB Tri-State to slow traffic. Even those continuing west on I-290 will need to weave two lanes to the right from the HOT lane. This isn't as much an issue with I-88 as it enters/exits from the left so it's essentially toll-to-toll.
the HOT ends at mannheim?
also there is an split there and maybe add an Outbound C/D setup?

the I-294 rebuild plans to change the lane mix at I-290.

US20IL64

On the Ike/290, Traffic Reporters call the Maywood/Bellwood section "The Avenues" named for exits for 1st - 25th aves. This, along with Oak Park/Forest Pk. are badly outdated stretches.  :-(

ChiMilNet

Quote from: US20IL64 on November 12, 2021, 11:08:36 AM
On the Ike/290, Traffic Reporters call the Maywood/Bellwood section "The Avenues" named for exits for 1st - 25th aves. This, along with Oak Park/Forest Pk. are badly outdated stretches.  :-(

That's putting it nicely! Both sections are a total clusterf*&k, but Oak Park still stands out as the very worst of what makes I-290 so horrible to deal with! How IDOT could not have this a priority #1 is a mystery to me.

US20IL64

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 12, 2021, 12:04:56 PM

That's putting it nicely! Both sections are a total clusterf*&k, but Oak Park still stands out as the very worst of what makes I-290 so horrible to deal with! How IDOT could not have this a priority #1 is a mystery to me.
Political and regional.  Some in Oak Park are fighting it. One resident said to Tribune, "we don't want to make it easier for people in Naperville to drive to the Loop."    :banghead:

The Ghostbuster

Would have been possible to build new HOT lanes along Interstate 290 in the same way as the underground lanes that were built along Interstate 635 in Texas?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 12, 2021, 02:04:40 PM
Would have been possible to build new HOT lanes along Interstate 290 in the same way as the underground lanes that were built along Interstate 635 in Texas?
or they can move the blue line under ground and put in more lanes in it's place.

skluth

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 12, 2021, 04:58:01 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 12, 2021, 02:04:40 PM
or they can move the blue line under ground and put in more lanes in it's place.
That option would probably be preferred by both drivers and transit users. This would allow the Blue Line to move a bit away from the freeway which is a plus for transit advocates as it makes it safer and easier for pedestrians to access transit, especially those with disabilities. A cut-and-cover tunnel might be possible west of the Dan Ryan, but connecting it to the current line east of the Circle Interchange could be difficult. (It might not be. I honestly wouldn't know.) It's also cheaper to build tunnel ventilation for transit than internal combustion vehicles.

Henry

As the Bears are now owners of the Arlington Park site, it's not a matter of if, but when regarding their new stadium. In advance of that stadium being built, I-290 needs to be worked on immediately so that gameday traffic won't have to deal with such a huge headache. While it doesn't necessarily need to be done the same way as, say, the Jersey Turnpike at Exit 16 (where the Giants and Jets play), I say this new roadwork must happen right away.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Henry on November 12, 2021, 08:57:44 PM
As the Bears are now owners of the Arlington Park site, it's not a matter of if, but when regarding their new stadium. In advance of that stadium being built, I-290 needs to be worked on immediately so that gameday traffic won't have to deal with such a huge headache. While it doesn't necessarily need to be done the same way as, say, the Jersey Turnpike at Exit 16 (where the Giants and Jets play), I say this new roadwork must happen right away.
york to I-355 is likely ok at 3 each way maybe more so after I-490 opens.

I-355 I-290 to army trail road add an 4th lane

I-355 army trail road to IL-38 add 4th lane / aux lane?

I-290 I-355 to EOE add 1 more (aux?) lane?

Higgins rd to I-90 rebuild / rework local / express.

I-290 at I-90 add some flyovers?

IL-53 I-90 to IL-62 rebuild / rework local / express.

IL-53 kirchoff rd (remove exit only / exit only 5th lane at kirchoff) to euclid 4th lane make exit only at euclid?
remove euclid clover leaf

euclid to US-14 add AUX lane / 4th lane?

US-14 maybe exit only 4th lane

US-14 to palatine rd add AUX lane

palatine rd add one flyover + other palatine rd upgrades.

palatine rd to US-12 add aux lane

skluth

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 13, 2021, 11:04:50 AM

IL-53 kirchoff rd (remove exit only / exit only 5th lane at kirchoff) to euclid 4th lane make exit only at euclid?

A football game doesn't generate that much traffic. Football stadiums are only used about a dozen times per year, and almost all those uses are on weekends. Even if they schedule a few non-football events like concerts, those will also mostly be nights and weekends. The only needed upgrades for the stadium are along Euclid, US 14, and likely the interchanges of both at IL 53. There are good arguments for a viaduct on Palatine Road over US 12 and Arlington Hts Rd and a Willow Rd viaduct over Sanders and Protection Parkway (or something else to eliminate the lights), but those are already needed for regular rush hour traffic to move traffic between IL 53 and the Tri-State. There is also an everyday need to convert the I-90/IL 53 interchange into a full stack, turbine, or similar (and I have no idea why this was not done when they upgraded the Northwest Tollway - no, I'm not calling it the Addams). Everything else is just wish list items and won't be built unless they are needed for daily use, not ten Sundays and a few night games per year.

There is far more need to upgrade the Ike (the subject of this thread) and the Kennedy before the wish list items above. Some of those items will be eventually done but it will be because they are needed for daily traffic and not for a football stadium miles away from those upgrades.

edwaleni

Quote from: US20IL64 on November 12, 2021, 01:13:06 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 12, 2021, 12:04:56 PM

Political and regional.  Some in Oak Park are fighting it. One resident said to Tribune, "we don't want to make it easier for people in Naperville to drive to the Loop."    :banghead:

Back when the planning to extend the Congress out to Hillside started in the 1950's, people in Chicago said, "we don't want to make it easier for people in Oak Park to drive to work in Chicago, they should just live in Chicago"

I-39

Quote from: skluth on November 13, 2021, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 13, 2021, 11:04:50 AM

A football game doesn't generate that much traffic. Football stadiums are only used about a dozen times per year, and almost all those uses are on weekends. Even if they schedule a few non-football events like concerts, those will also mostly be nights and weekends. The only needed upgrades for the stadium are along Euclid, US 14, and likely the interchanges of both at IL 53. There are good arguments for a viaduct on Palatine Road over US 12 and Arlington Hts Rd and a Willow Rd viaduct over Sanders and Protection Parkway (or something else to eliminate the lights), but those are already needed for regular rush hour traffic to move traffic between IL 53 and the Tri-State. There is also an everyday need to convert the I-90/IL 53 interchange into a full stack, turbine, or similar (and I have no idea why this was not done when they upgraded the Northwest Tollway - no, I'm not calling it the Addams). Everything else is just wish list items and won't be built unless they are needed for daily use, not ten Sundays and a few night games per year.

There is far more need to upgrade the Ike (the subject of this thread) and the Kennedy before the wish list items above. Some of those items will be eventually done but it will be because they are needed for daily traffic and not for a football stadium miles away from those upgrades.

Agree, but I would say the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange will be the next big thing the tollway will need to tackle after the current Move Illinois construction is finished.

ET21

Yeah that will be their next big upgrade, its badly needed
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Plutonic Panda

They really should tunnel the tracks and place new lanes over them.

ILRoad55

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 14, 2021, 03:17:44 PM
They really should tunnel the tracks and place new lanes over them.
That's a bad idea.

By placing the Blue Line tracks beneath the Eisenhower, that forces riders to use more stairs to get from platform level to street level. The Eisenhower is already below street level so you'd only be making the stations even deeper than they normally are. If lanes were built where the tracks normally sit, then you'd also prevent access from station to street level as well.

The only exception to this would be the subway station at Clinton because east of the Circle Interchange the Eisenhower is elevated over the street.

If anything, I wish the city made the Congress Branch ROW separated from the expressway right of way. That was actually a plan when building the Congress Expressway. Only the Oak Park portion got that though.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ interesting. So then it should be higher and potentially more lanes could be added from such a setup. It should pass over streets though not at grade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.