News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lake Shore Drive Renamed

Started by roadman65, June 25, 2021, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Try putting that on a street sign.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Nobody's gonna use that new name
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

That's fine. No one will call it anything other than Lake Shore Drive though. Just like the Willis Tower is still the Sears Tower and Guaranteed Rate Field is still Comiskey Park.

Flint1979

Does anyone call the Circle Interchange by it's given name? I don't think they do.

Max Rockatansky

I get why the City chose the new name but trying to replace Lake Shore Drive probably isn't the best application.  Lake Shore Drive is pretty iconic and the best known roadway in the City.  As stated above most people will probably use Lake Shore Drive just like most people still use the name "Sears Tower."

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 25, 2021, 11:51:57 PM
Does anyone call the Circle Interchange by it's given name? I don't think they do.

Nope, I still call it by the original name.

skluth

This is the dumbest thing I've seen in years. The mayor is also trying to prevent the Bears moving to the suburbs. I guess she didn't notice Soldier Field in on LSD. I doubt they care for the name change either.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: skluth on June 26, 2021, 02:10:56 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've seen in years. The mayor is also trying to prevent the Bears moving to the suburbs. I guess she didn't notice Soldier Field in on LSD. I doubt they care for the name change either.
Not surprising

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheGrassGuy

Everyone will still call it the Lake Shore Drive. Just like how everyone still calls the Governor Thomas E. Dewey Thruway the New York Thruway, and how everyone still calls the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge the Tappan Zee Bridge.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hotdogPi

When I saw the thread title, I thought they were removing Lake Shore Drive from the name. An honorary name added on (as opposed to a replacement) isn't a big deal.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ilpt4u

Didn't Congress Parkway also get renamed? Around a couple years ago maybe? To what, I do not know.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2021, 12:06:54 AM
I get why the City chose the new name but trying to replace Lake Shore Drive probably isn't the best application.  Lake Shore Drive is pretty iconic and the best known roadway in the City.  As stated above most people will probably use Lake Shore Drive just like most people still use the name "Sears Tower."

A few years ago, an Alderman's proposal to rename the Dan Ryan Expressway after Barack Obama was shouted down. Chicago residents seem pretty attached to Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bishop Ford, and Stevenson.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kernals12 on June 26, 2021, 10:23:47 AM

A few years ago, an Alderman's proposal to rename the Dan Ryan Expressway after Barack Obama was shouted down. Chicago residents seem pretty attached to Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bishop Ford, and Stevenson.

I'm not in favor of naming things after people who are still living. Obama should get something major named for him, but hopefully for him not for quite a while.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

It's probably not "attached"  as much as "we don't need to arbitrarily change that and can give Obama something else" .

There's also a general societal hangup when it comes to renaming things after people who are still alive, especially someone as relatively "young"  as Obama who likely still has a few decades left. For some reason people don't like that either.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

We are in the purge these day. Hey, I read something on line that Fort Hood in TX and Fort Rucker in AL are among many military installations picked to be renamed as well do to the events of this era.

Name changes are inevitable these days.   However, like Sears Tower people generally get comfortable using names its hard to break em of the habit, however JFK Airport used to be Idlewild and people in NY adjusted, or at least eventually.

I am not from Chicago so I do not know the reaction of the people, here, but to me a name is just that.  It's in the eye of the beholder.  Just like many may call Mount McKinnley in Alaska Denali, to me I still see it as the former president as its been that way all my life to hear.  Plus I do not use the name anyway in vocabulary as its not a typical subject in normal conversation. 

Just like art, some may say a piece is garbage, while the rest say beauty.  Names may be official on paper, but in our minds its what we see and feel.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 26, 2021, 09:55:58 AM
Didn't Congress Parkway also get renamed? Around a couple years ago maybe? To what, I do not know.
Ida B Wells Drive - and it is on the new signs at the Circle

As far as the Circle is concerned, the VMSs use Jane Byrne instead of Circle for "minutes to" reports so that's sticking in the official roll.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

I do like when two names are used to rename something though.   Perhaps just put up signs along the side of the road with the new name and leave the overheads the way they are, or put in small upper case on top of Lake Shore Drive the new name.

Sheryl Crowe

Rick Powell

The Bishop Ford Expressway in Chicago used to be the Calumet, and the renaming did stick. The Jane Byrne renaming for the Circle Interchange seems to have stuck. It is noted that these two were inanimate names that suddenly got a "personality".

The portion of I-55 named for Barack Obama (from Pontiac to I-294) is not sticking IMO, in part because the Stevenson is still named the Stevenson for 1-294 to the Dan Ryan junction, and continues to be colloquially used for the whole stretch in Chicagoland from I-80 on in. And downstate, very few pay attention to those "memorial" namings of interstate sections.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 25, 2021, 11:51:04 PM
That's fine. No one will call it anything other than Lake Shore Drive though. Just like the Willis Tower is still the Sears Tower and Guaranteed Rate Field is still Comiskey Park.

Don't forget also the nickname "LSD" where some people confuse it with a drug and could you imagine a full name like that for a song? ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGMJWG4CT0

Rick Powell

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 26, 2021, 01:27:59 PM
Don't forget also the nickname "LSD" where some people confuse it with a drug and could you imagine a full name like that for a song? ;)

Yeah, "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide 25 Drive" would be a clunky song title, or road name for that matter.

skluth

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2021, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 26, 2021, 11:35:29 AM

Thank God it was shot down too. There shouldn't be anything named after that stooge.

IMO nothing should be named after someone alive still.  Most of all these days politicians have become to controversial and maybe even after one has died is to pick a place that has the majority of the people approving of the person's accomplishments.   Like if SF or Oakland wants to name a road after Pelosi when she finally dies, so be it, but if my own hometown wants to rename something in memory of her, it would be a different ball game.  Considering that she is not that well liked by many people I see each day, probably it would be safe to say that name would cause some talk.

You never know what may come out while the honoree is still alive. It can be embarrassing like when St Louis named their part of I-70 for Mark McGwire after his 70 home run season.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: skluth on June 26, 2021, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2021, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 26, 2021, 11:35:29 AM

Thank God it was shot down too. There shouldn't be anything named after that stooge.

IMO nothing should be named after someone alive still.  Most of all these days politicians have become to controversial and maybe even after one has died is to pick a place that has the majority of the people approving of the person's accomplishments.   Like if SF or Oakland wants to name a road after Pelosi when she finally dies, so be it, but if my own hometown wants to rename something in memory of her, it would be a different ball game.  Considering that she is not that well liked by many people I see each day, probably it would be safe to say that name would cause some talk.

You never know what may come out while the honoree is still alive. It can be embarrassing like when St Louis named their part of I-70 for Mark McGwire after his 70 home run season.

Stuff can come out after they die too.

SectorZ

As an aside, how poorly written is that story that it just jumps into talking about someone named "Meza" (4th paragraph) like I'm supposed to know how that is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.