News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

This whole thread reminds me of when I had to go back up from Palmdale to the Bay Area back in 2019, and I was hearing inklings of snow in the Grapevine area:

My original plan for that day was 14-138-5-46-101, but my friend in the area suggested I go 14 to Santa Clarita, then 126-101, which ended up working out as there were some closures on 5 after all! 
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 04:24:02 PM
Quote from: BJ59 on Today at 04:19:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 10:14:25 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 07:47:39 AM
Quote from: DNAguy on April 12, 2024, 01:23:48 PMAs a UT fan, any use of my tax dollars to help OU fans get to Dallas is a non-starter for me.

The governor as a fellow longhorn must stand up to such fiscal frivolousness.

He better not rollover and let out of state crimson and cream influences dictate Texas policy.

Suggesting that programming of transportation projects should be based not on actual need but on college football loyalties is absolutely unhinged behavior.

Nah.  I'm with him on keeping OU fans out of Dallas.

That's ridiculous to oppose a highway upgrade based off of OU fans coming into Texas. It's not like they're going to be deterred from coming to a football game because a highway is 4-lanes instead of 6-lanes. Might as well get the upgrade because it will be needed in the future 

I don't know.  If you want to keep the riff raff out, it does seem like policy options are available.  Perhaps a toll on just out-of-staters would work...
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 04:20:56 PM
Partly sunny and 53.
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by BJ59 - Today at 04:19:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 10:14:25 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 07:47:39 AM
Quote from: DNAguy on April 12, 2024, 01:23:48 PMAs a UT fan, any use of my tax dollars to help OU fans get to Dallas is a non-starter for me.

The governor as a fellow longhorn must stand up to such fiscal frivolousness.

He better not rollover and let out of state crimson and cream influences dictate Texas policy.

Suggesting that programming of transportation projects should be based not on actual need but on college football loyalties is absolutely unhinged behavior.

Nah.  I'm with him on keeping OU fans out of Dallas.

That's ridiculous to oppose a highway upgrade based off of OU fans coming into Texas. It's not like they're going to be deterred from coming to a football game because a highway is 4-lanes instead of 6-lanes. Might as well get the upgrade because it will be needed in the future 
Traffic Control / Re: Why don't option lane BGSs...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 04:04:58 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on Today at 10:59:42 AMAfter I brought it to GDOT's attention, I was told that the designer of these signs no longer worked there-- as if this was one person's fault.  :spin:

Well, imagine that.
Southeast / Re: Charlotte
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 25, 2023, 06:47:41 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on February 24, 2023, 09:12:12 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 24, 2023, 09:03:55 AMI didn't notice this till last night, but there is a sign now for NC 84 east on Rea Road exit on I-485 (exit 59). I checked Google Streetview and it has been there at least since June 2022. That said, there are no signage on Rea Road identifying it as NC 84 nor does any mapping on NCDOT confirms it yet. Anyone have more information on this?

Rea Rd is going to be extended to the current western terminus of NC 84 at NC 16 in Weddington.  Construction was going to start soon but I believe it's been pushed back a year or so.  Either way, the contractor performing the I-485 widening in the area jumped the gun by putting up these BGSs showing NC 84 running along Rea Rd.

Right now construction is expected to begin in 2028 according to the NCDOT Project website

For me, this is an example of when I found out that I did my own research.

Anyway I did photograph the I-485 Outer signage when I did my clinching loop last weekend.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220253089037901&set=a.10220253093958024)

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 26, 2024, 04:13:01 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on April 26, 2024, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 26, 2024, 09:08:46 AMIf I were a Falcons fan, I'd be pissed. Thankfully I think my Vikes had a good night.

Kirk continues to get completely shafted. I hate it.

Kirk Cousins gets overrated because he's historically replaced really bad quarterbacks and seemed like a savior by comparison. There's a reason two other teams moved on from him.

The Falcons' mistake of giving him such a huge contract in the first place shouldn't have been compounded by passing on a very high-ceiling talent like Penix. I've maintained all along that he's the 2nd best QB in this draft.

No offense, but this still does nothing to stop my sentimental love of Kirk.
Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by kkt - Today at 12:19:07 PM
When I see the name Parkway, I think of a road that's landscaped on both sides, like a Road through a Park.  Not a few miles of strip mall.
Last post by Tom958 - Today at 12:09:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 11:19:32 AMI loathe exit only signage over option lanes.  I don't care if it's MUTCD compliant; I hate it.  "EXIT ONLY" should mean that if you're in that lane, there's no way out.

The EXIT ONLY in the example above is in fact over the dropped lane. The white arrow is over the option lane. The lane at right is a merge lane that ends beyond the curve-- you can see the RIGHT LANE ENDS yellow diamond on the right shoulder. Hopefully, GDOT will remember to use the proper striping when it's repaved in the near future. As it stands now, it's really confusing since there are so many instances on this part of 285 where auxiliary lanes extend from onramp to offramp.

Since you mentioned the problem in general, though, GDOT is really bad about locating the gore sign upstream from the theoretical gore, thus placing the left black arrow unambiguously over the option lane. This is one of many examples. To add insult to injury, the gantry here is new so it could've been installed at the correct location, but instead they located it immediately behind the previous gantry. Wait: I'm wrong! On this one, they put the new gantry in front of the old one! WTF. GDOT?
Last post by Rothman - Today at 11:19:32 AM
I loathe exit only signage over option lanes.  I don't care if it's MUTCD compliant; I hate it.  "EXIT ONLY" should mean that if you're in that lane, there's no way out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.