News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ambiguous City Names

Started by webny99, May 13, 2020, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

One that I don't really think of because I live near one of them, but I run into more people than I realize that confuse Albert Lea and Albertville, MN. Albertville is a regional destination due to their large outlet mall.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

What about state vs. city?  It's almost obligatory to add "state" at the end of Washington and New York referring to the state, cutting down the confusion from Washington, DC and New York, respectively. 

zachary_amaryllis

westminster, co seems more north than west, to me.

longmont is much wider than it is long. (named for longs peak, i think, but it sounded funny)
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Desert Man

California City in where else CA! Home of the Whiptails minor league baseball team (not sure they're coming back). It has 200 square miles of city area but 20,000 residents overall. Close to Edwards AFB and Space-X facilities, so people who live there have a job close to them. And in the Star Trek universe, it is a massive major city akin to New York City or nearby L.A. in size.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

There are 8 counties named Orange, although I know of one in Southern CA, home to Disneyland.

Orange County, California, part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area.
Orange County, Florida, containing Orlando and Walt Disney World.
Orange County, Indiana (home county of VP Danforth "Dan" Quayle).
Orange County, New York, part of the New York metropolitan area.
Orange County, North Carolina.
Orange County, Texas (not sure it has the city of Orange, like the one in CA).
Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.

In Tulsa OK, a city similar in size to the state capital OK City, locals joke about Osage County is their "Orange County". It has affluent areas known for oil pumping (similar to CA's own Kern county where many Oklahomans have relatives from the 1930s dust bowl relocations). In Provo UT, Utah county is their "Orange county", must be from all those Californians who moved in.

The Orange County Choppers are based in the one in upstate NY.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

webny99

I always found it mildly humorous that the Village of Florida, NY is located in Orange County.

roadman65

Well in New Jersey it is Washington as the most ambiguous name as no matter where you drive, there is a Washington Township.  NJ 57 encounters two with Washington and one Borough.  I believe the USPS considers the Morris County Washington as Mount Olive, though, to avoid confusion in mail sending.

Jasper is used a lot in the Southeast. 

Jasper, FL
Jasper, AL
Jasper, TN
Jasper, MS
Jasper County, SC (part of the Savannah, GA metropolitan area)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Joke to follow:

Quote from: Desert Man on October 10, 2020, 06:04:23 PM
There are 9 counties named Orange, although I know of one in Southern CA, home to Disneyland.

Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.
[...]

</joke>  :-D

NWI_Irish96

There are 8 counties named Orange, although I know of one in Southern CA, home to Disneyland.

Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.

In Tulsa OK, a city similar in size to the state capital OK City, locals joke about Osage County is their "Orange County". It has affluent areas known for oil pumping (similar to CA's own Kern county where many Oklahomans have relatives from the 1930s dust bowl relocations). In Provo UT, Utah county is their "Orange county", must be from all those Californians who moved in.

Quayle isn't from Orange County. He was born in Indy and spent most of his adult life in Huntington before retiring to Arizona.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 13, 2020, 08:38:06 AM

Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.

Quayle isn't from Orange County. He was born in Indy and spent most of his adult life in Huntington before retiring to Arizona.

Orange, Texas is indeed in Orange County.  Not a bad assumption though, the list of counties and like named cities not in that county in Texas is lengthy. 

roadman65

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 14, 2020, 12:47:47 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 13, 2020, 08:38:06 AM

Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.

Orange, Texas is indeed in Orange County.  Not a bad assumption though, the list of counties and like named cities not in that county in Texas is lengthy. 

Pretty much everywhere.  Georgia and Ohio have plenty of examples.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zachary_amaryllis

cheyenne, wy is in laramie county.
laramie, wy is in albany county.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Dirt Roads

Orange County, Vermont.
Orange County, Virginia.

The ones in Virginia and North Carolina are both named after the Scottish House of Orange (which ironically was and is the royalty in The Netherlands).  Similarly, the ones in New York and Vermont are named after William of Orange (later King William III, to whom our Revolutionary War was waged).  The one in Indiana is named after mine here in North Carolina.

I suspect that all the others are named after the citrus fruits that grow in those states.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 30, 2020, 02:45:14 PM
I've been to both Murfeesboro, TN and AR, and the AR one is famous because of the nearby Crater of Diamonds State Park. Despite being there before, I had to look up where Murfeesboro, AR was because the town itself isn't very significant.

Ironically both Murfreesboros are just down the road from a Nashville.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 30, 2020, 02:45:14 PM
I've been to both Murfeesboro, TN and AR, and the AR one is famous because of the nearby Crater of Diamonds State Park. Despite being there before, I had to look up where Murfeesboro, AR was because the town itself isn't very significant.

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on October 20, 2020, 07:59:18 PM
Ironically both Murfreesboros are just down the road from a Nashville.

In the grander scheme of things, the other Murfreesboro is not too far from Nashville, North Carolina (but not down the same road).  One of my wife's ancestors was buried in this Murfreesboro with his horse in the family cemetery.  It's become a well-known Halloween tale in that area.

Desert Man

Oklahoma City (state capital of Oklahoma) in Oklahoma County...the city limits is 600 some square miles of area, it is actually in 6 counties...and only half a million people overall. The name Oklahoma means "Land of the red people" in Choctaw, one of 5 major Native American tribal nations, and 35-50 tribes have land jurisdictions in the eastern and southern halves of the state. OKC is in the middle portion not within any tribal nations jurisdictions, parts of northern and western OK aren't either.

US 89

Quote from: Desert Man on October 23, 2020, 04:12:21 PM
Oklahoma City (state capital of Oklahoma) in Oklahoma County...the city limits is 600 some square miles of area, it is actually in 6 counties...and only half a million people overall. The name Oklahoma means "Land of the red people" in Choctaw, one of 5 major Native American tribal nations, and 35-50 tribes have land jurisdictions in the eastern and southern halves of the state. OKC is in the middle portion not within any tribal nations jurisdictions, parts of northern and western OK aren't either.

Six counties? I only see four - Oklahoma, Cleveland, Canadian, and just a tiny bit of Pottawatomie.

Desert Man

Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2020, 06:19:56 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on October 23, 2020, 04:12:21 PM

Six counties? I only see four - Oklahoma, Cleveland, Canadian, and just a tiny bit of Pottawatomie.

Yes, I stand corrected. The OK City metro area is 7 counties including Pottawatomie where the city of Shawnee is located. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_metropolitan_area

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.