News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your most frequently listened to FM radio station

Started by Flint1979, June 09, 2020, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Don't think we have anything like this. Mine is very easy, it's WRSR 103.9 The Fox out of Owosso, Michigan serving the Flint metro area. It's all live and local broadcasts all the on air talent lives in Mid-Michigan. Kinda cool.

kphoger

My 6 radio presets are:

1 - 90.1 (NPR)
2 - 90.7 (WAY-FM)
3 - 97.9 (iHeart)
4 - 99.1 (K-LOVE)
5 - 103.7 (classic hits)
6 - 104.5 (classic rock)

Numbers 2 through 6 probably get roughly equal play time in my car.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Sctvhound

In Charleston, SC:

1- 94.7 (ESPN Radio, local shows during daytime)
2- 94.3 (conservative talk, Rush)
3- 102.1 (60s-70s oldies)
4- 92.5 (country format with local morning show)
5- 106.9 (country station out of Hilton Head I can get well here)
6- 91.5 (very conservative Christian music)

oscar

In the Washington D.C. area, 103.5 (WTOP news/traffic/weather).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MikeTheActuary

I suspect that the radio presets in my car are whatever the defaults are (or whatever the mechanics set them to the last time they disconnected/reconnected the battery).

I believe the only broadcast radio I've listened to in the past decade were for the thread a couple of years ago about what AM broadcast stations one could receive, and some shortwave broadcasts I've either intentionally or accidentally listened to while working with my amateur radio/antennas.

hbelkins

Whichever one I can pick up if I'm traveling if a UK basketball or football game is airing. Typically that's WSGS-FM from Hazard if I'm in the mountains, or WBUL-FM from Lexington if I'm in that area. Other than that, I'm most likely listening to the Mark Levin podcast, or Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity streaming.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I listen to other classic rock stations too. Like on Sunday I went down to Indiana to do some county clinching and listened to 94.9 in Lansing, 107.7 in Kalamazoo, 98.9 in Fort Wayne and 94.7 in Indy.

TheHighwayMan3561

Twin Cities:
92.5 KQRS (classic rock)
91.1 KNOW (NPR)

Duluth/North Shore:
94.9 KQDS (classic rock)
90.7 WTIP Grand Marais (quirky independent station)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Whatever's not playing commercials, but probably KISS 108.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

nexus73

These days I rarely listen to AM or FM broadcast stations.  At home the music comes from Music Choice, which is a selection of cable channels.  On da' road it is my custom compiled CD's with an original iPod as backup to provide tunes.  Unless there are sports on the radio, it just does not come on.  Funny to think I wound up this way after so many decades of being huge on radio listening!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

As Oscar noted, WTOP 103.5-FM for traffic and weather. In my own car I usually opt for satellite radio otherwise. In our other cars that don't have satellite radio, if I listen to music on the radio I'll probably have on 94.7-FM or 100.3-FM, both of which are classic rock stations.

I don't recall the last time I listened to anything on AM radio. Got to be at least ten years. Back before WTOP moved their FM broadcast to 103.5, I sometimes used their AM broadcast on 1500 because their prior FM frequency didn't come through well near the Pentagon and I drove past there on my commute. But I haven't commuted to DC by car on a regular basis since 2008, so I haven't listened to AM radio very often since then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

One of the following:
103.5 WTCM (country music, can be heard in a near 100 mile radius from its tower near Buckley)
101.5 WMTE (AAA-leaning classic hits)
102.7 WMOM (back on the air under new ownership with a similar format to its pre-silence format)
99.7 WDKF (80s/90s/2000s country; when my sister was in HS, 99.7 was rap and one of their DJs played her prom)

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on June 09, 2020, 08:50:41 PM
One of the following:
103.5 WTCM (country music, can be heard in a near 100 mile radius from its tower near Buckley)
101.5 WMTE (AAA-leaning classic hits)
102.7 WMOM (back on the air under new ownership with a similar format to its pre-silence format)
99.7 WDKF (80s/90s/2000s country; when my sister was in HS, 99.7 was rap and one of their DJs played her prom)
I recall 98.5 WUPS is the same strength as 103.5 WTCM. I know the transmitter is just south of Houghton Lake and I can pick it up pretty good in Saginaw and I've listened to it all the way to the bridge.

CoreySamson

My top four:
89.3 KSBJ (basically Houston's version of KLOVE)
107.5 The Eagle (classic rock)
91.7 NGEN (Christian rap and pop)
100.3 The Bull (for Texans games)
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

bulldog1979

I have SiriusXM and Apple CarPlay in my current car, so I pretty much don't listen to FM radio at all anymore between XM or the podcasts and my music collection on my phone.

Before though, it was Q107 WMQT-FM out of Marquette here.

KEVIN_224

WTIC-FM 96.5 of Hartford was always my station in their "96 TIC-FM" CHR/Top 40 days. Today, I only listen to them on Sundays at 9 PM ET. They air 3 hours of classic "American Top 40"with Casey Kasem (80s edition).

Other times, it's on WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford. They're classic rocker 102.9 The Whale. I preferred their days as a classic hits station.

Weekday afternoons sometimes features WAQY-FM 102.1 ("Rock 102") from Springfield, MA. That's the only station from that market I get a halfway decent signal from. 

SectorZ

Amazingly, I am at one, 93.7 (WEEI) in Boston, one of the two sports station.
Given there is no sports to talk about, and really the past two weeks has been talking about race, I've barely listened.

Between XM and a 37K song music collection on an iphone, FM has become damn near obsolete to me, which actually saddens me a bit.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 09, 2020, 05:46:20 PM
Whatever's not playing commercials

This is main reason five out of six of my presets get equal time in my car.  Well, that and pledge drives.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Warm 106.9 and 106.1 KISS FM in Seattle are my go-to stations. In Chicago, it would be 93.9 Lite FM.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 09, 2020, 11:25:51 PM
Other times, it's on WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford. They're classic rocker 102.9 The Whale. I preferred their days as a classic hits station.

Weekday afternoons sometimes features WAQY-FM 102.1 ("Rock 102") from Springfield, MA. That's the only station from that market I get a halfway decent signal from.

Those are two of my go-to's, along with 99-1 WPLR from New Haven and (when it comes in most of the time in my car only) i95 WRKI in Brookfield.  I keep a button for The River 105.9 (WHCN), but it is nothing like it was in its heyday of Picozzi and the Horn (the former of whom is the morning host on The Whale).  I also have WTIC 1080 and WFAN 660 set on AM for news and sports, and I reserve a slot for 97.9 ESPN radio (very spotty) and the 103.7 and 105.5 WEEI repeaters (even more spotty) on the 2nd line of FM stations for when I'm in range.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

I was in radio in college, but the only thing I still listen to on regular radio is 'American Top 40' reruns on WGRR.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

Most of the time my car radio is tuned to KGOU-FM 106.3 of Norman, the local NPR affiliate, which plays jazz after 9pm (thus that's what's on after I get off work). When I go to work, I listen to music or a podcast on my phone, since by default, I'm annoyed about going to work and advertising isn't liable to help. On my days off, when I'm out and about before 9pm, I'll listen to KGOU if they're talking about something interesting, or switch to KMGL-FM 104.1 (adult contemporary). After 7pm, though, they play the syndicated DJ Delilah, whose mawkishness I can't stomach, so I switch to KQOB-FM, which is similar to KMGL, but with worse reception.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

In order of time spent listening to (in and around Columbus, over 30 years)

WWCD - 102.5 (alt rock)
WBNS - 97.1 (Sports Talk)
WCBE - 90.5 (NPR/Non-commercial music)
WLVQ - 96.3 (Rock)
WRKZ - 99.7 (Hard Rock)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

texaskdog

99.7 the rush Limbaugh station, though they cut jeff ward and replaced him with infomercials
104.9 the horn

wxfree

I never listen to the radio any more, so I have no answer to this question.  But the first time I drove to Houston was the first time I remember hearing "War" by Edwin Starr on the radio.  I'd heard it in a movie or two, but that song fell somewhere in between the range of the oldies station and the classic rock station in the DFW area in the mid 90s, so that was the first time I really got to listen to it.  I've always remembered that.  It was also the first time I saw I-10, although I didn't drive on it until years later.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.