News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'Calculator Games' book (late '70s)

Started by bandit957, July 26, 2020, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember this book?

I got this book at a book fair in kindergarten. It was really cool. It featured a bunch of cool games you could play using standard 8-digit calculators of the era. It might have been called 'Fun With Calculators' or something, but I'm pretty sure it was 'Calculator Games'

It had a blue cover with spacey 1978-era artwork. I remember the publisher was based in Racine, Wisconsin.

I wish I still had this book, but I can't find any mention of it on the Internet.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Road Hog

The one game I remember was typing 7734 and turning the screen upside down.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

There was 1 girl who was 16 and had 69 3 times  (11669x3)  What was she?  LOOSE

bandit957

I remember one of the games was called Torment. The object was to multiply the numeric value of all the letters in a word to see how high the number could get without going over the calculator's 8-digit limit. 'Torment' and 'warnings' came close. I know I found a word that was higher, but I don't remember what it was.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 27, 2020, 01:49:30 PM
Another one to try is 71077345.

142 Arabs fought 154 Iranians over 69 oil wells for five days.  Who won the battle?

14215469 X 5 - turn the calculator upside down for the result.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: bandit957 on July 26, 2020, 05:43:15 PM
Anyone else remember this book?

I got this book at a book fair in kindergarten. It was really cool. It featured a bunch of cool games you could play using standard 8-digit calculators of the era. It might have been called 'Fun With Calculators' or something, but I'm pretty sure it was 'Calculator Games'

It had a blue cover with spacey 1978-era artwork. I remember the publisher was based in Racine, Wisconsin.

I wish I still had this book, but I can't find any mention of it on the Internet.

Is this the book?  https://www.alibris.com/Calculator-Games-Michael-Donner/book/884115?matches=7
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

frankenroad

I remember that book, and another that came out in the early 70's - "The Push-Button Phone Song Book".   Touch-tone phones were still a rarity in those days.  I had the book in high school, but no longer have it. 

Here's a link to it on Amazon - mine looked exactly like the one pictured.
https://www.amazon.com/Pushbutton-Telephone-Songbook-1/dp/B000LIFU8S

As you can see, it says Volume 1, but to my knowledge, no additional volumes were ever published.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

roadman

Quote from: frankenroad on July 28, 2020, 12:58:11 PM
I remember that book, and another that came out in the early 70's - "The Push-Button Phone Song Book".   Touch-tone phones were still a rarity in those days.  I had the book in high school, but no longer have it. 

Here's a link to it on Amazon - mine looked exactly like the one pictured.
https://www.amazon.com/Pushbutton-Telephone-Songbook-1/dp/B000LIFU8S

As you can see, it says Volume 1, but to my knowledge, no additional volumes were ever published.

Touch tone service cost an extra fee, presumably because your lines had to be set up differently.  However, by about 1975, ALL lines could accommodate touch tone service.  But Ma Bell continued to charge the extra fee until telephone divesture in 1982.

bandit957

I also remember a big yellow book titled 'Still More Answers'. I remember reading it while staying home from school when I was sick.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.