News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

just an observation..

Started by zachary_amaryllis, August 10, 2020, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

this stuff is considerably more fun that i had previously thought..

i've been into this stuff for a while, and had the similar interest in signage, and various road-related trivia.. but i never thought it was such a big thing, until i found this. you guys are absolute gangsters with this stuff, and it really makes for fun discussion and reading.

i mean.. 'road sign uno?' that is absolutely bananas.. who thinks of stuff like that? but yet its oddly fascinating and cool. there's a lot of interesting stuff to be read here, a lot of stuff i didn't know, and a lot of stuff i didn't know that i wanted to know.

cool stuff guys and/or girls..
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ozarkman417

If this site has shown me anything, it's just how little I know about roads.. especially when compared to some of the veteran users here.

SM-G965U

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 11, 2020, 12:00:01 AM
If this site has shown me anything, it's just how little I know about roads.. especially when compared to some of the veteran users here.

SM-G965U

thats really what blows my wheels... i am probably into railroading as much as i am about highway-roading, and train nuts can be downright obsessive..

but this.. i mean, i'm unemployed right now and really don't have much else to do but read this stuff.. i'm with you, so much i don't know, but i'm the sort that likes to know how stuff works.. so i'll drive down to see a diverging diamond in action..
clinched:

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 11, 2020, 12:10:00 AM

SM-G965U

thats really what blows my wheels... i am probably into railroading as much as i am about highway-roading, and train nuts can be downright obsessive..

but this.. i mean, i'm unemployed right now and really don't have much else to do but read this stuff.. i'm with you, so much i don't know, but i'm the sort that likes to know how stuff works.. so i'll drive down to see a diverging diamond in action..

That too. I'll see a neat interchange and think to myself, "hey, that's cool!", but I don't have the analytics and knowledge like some people on here to say, "oh, that should be this kind of interchange instead, much more efficient". It'll never cross my mind. Really my interest boils down to liking to take the side road instead (and a little bit of trivia).
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

sparker

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 11, 2020, 12:10:00 AM

SM-G965U

Seeing as how a high percentage of major cross-country arterials, including most of the Interstate routes, followed (if not precisely) pre-existing railroad lines, often the history of both transportation formats arises from similar if not identical dynamics.  Of course, topology had a major role here as well; the calculus was that if one could get a heavy train over a particular ridge or mountain then deploying a road nearby would yield similar benefits for another mode.  But in many circumstances the histories of rail and road are serial if not parallel; in some instances they're inseparable.

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 10, 2020, 11:56:58 PM
i mean.. 'road sign uno?' that is absolutely bananas.. who thinks of stuff like that?

I actually "thought" of it just to be snarky in some other thread (don't remember which one now).  Then someone else started an actual, real thread about it, and the game just took off.  I'm pretty happy "my idea" has been so successful, even if I wasn't actually the one who officially started it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

The beauty of the internet. 20 years ago, people wouldn't have thought we could sustain a 120-page discussion on traffic signals (or 60 if you allow as many posts per page as I do, but that's beside the point).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jmacswimmer

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 11, 2020, 10:12:47 PM
The beauty of the internet. 20 years ago, people wouldn't have thought we could sustain a 120-page discussion on traffic signals (or 60 if you allow as many posts per page as I do, but that's beside the point).

Or an 80-page thread about a fictional country  :-D
I read thru some of it shortly after joining the forum (partially in order to understand the occasional references, partially for my own amusement), and THAT is some quality content IMHO :clap:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Go to Google groups and lookup Misc.transport.road. 60 pages on traffic signals was nothing, even 20 years ago.
(Now 25 years ago....)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Ben114

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 11, 2020, 10:19:17 PM

I read thru some of it shortly after joining the forum (partially in order to understand the occasional references, partially for my own amusement), and THAT is some quality content IMHO :clap:

We even have a 101-page discussion on a type of roundabout.

The beauty of the internet.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Ben114 on August 11, 2020, 11:30:13 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 11, 2020, 10:19:17 PM

We even have a 101-page discussion on a type of roundabout.

The beauty of the internet.

its all quality content.. even the stuff that isn't quality content.. i have geeked out on some weird stuff (don't get me started on adventure time), but this.. is truly a unique form of geekdom.
clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.