News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Luby’s going by the wayside

Started by golden eagle, September 09, 2020, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: TXtoNJ on September 13, 2020, 07:54:21 PM
Now, even fairly small towns have decent Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, and other once "exotic" options that most people would have found too unusual to eat.

I'm amazed at the number of small towns that have Chinese/Asian and Mexican places, sometimes multiples of each, but you can't get a good steak or a diner-type short-order homecooking-style meal.

Locally, our main downtown restaurant that was known for years for its burgers and daily specials (their roast beef was awesome) is now a Mexican restaurant that still offers a few Anglo items.

I'm not a fan of that "exotic" stuff and am not really much of a fan of Mexican food, but I'm a sucker for something like chicken and dumplings, or turkey and dressing, or pork roast. Give me that with mashed potatoes, real green beans (not the shoestring type, but what you'd get fresh out of the garden), mac & cheese, and corn, and I'm happy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

golden eagle

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 13, 2020, 11:46:08 AM
I'm surprised Luby's didn't disappear right after the shooting.

The shooting in Killeen?

Bruce

I'm pretty sure we've had exotic "Chinese" food since the 1950s.

Now trying to find authentic Central Asian cuisine, that's a challenge in some areas.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

In_Correct

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2020, 01:27:35 PM
Now, even fairly small towns have decent Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, and other once "exotic" options that most people would have found too unusual to eat.

I'm amazed at the number of small towns that have Chinese/Asian and Mexican places, sometimes multiples of each, but you can't get a good steak or a diner-type short-order homecooking-style meal.

Locally, our main downtown restaurant that was known for years for its burgers and daily specials (their roast beef was awesome) is now a Mexican restaurant that still offers a few Anglo items.

I'm not a fan of that "exotic" stuff and am not really much of a fan of Mexican food, but I'm a sucker for something like chicken and dumplings, or turkey and dressing, or pork roast. Give me that with mashed potatoes, real green beans (not the shoestring type, but what you'd get fresh out of the garden), mac & cheese, and corn, and I'm happy.

Oklahoma is headquarters to numerous examples:

Braum's
Boom-A-Rang
Sonic

And those are three of many.

Classic Food is not going any where.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

Try ordering a pork roast from one of those places and see how it goes. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2020, 01:27:35 PM

Chinese and Mexican food is cheap as hell.  That's why they are all over the place.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2020, 01:31:41 PM
Try ordering a pork roast from one of those places and see how it goes. :P

Yeah. I never heard of Boom-A-Rang, but I definitely know the other two are more or less burger places.

Now, you can get a pot roast sandwich at Culver's, but I've never had it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

It's a small chain of sit-down restaurants in Oklahoma (many of their locations in smaller towns, but there's one in Norman too) that mimics a 1950s diner aesthetic. Primarily classic American food. It's good enough that it's probably the best restaurant in a lot of the towns it's located in. But they don't serve pork roast.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.